Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Naturlvr73

Places to stay near Upper Works Trailhead

Hi! We're planning a summer backpack trip and want to get a very early start at the Upper Works Trailhead. It will take several hours for us to get to the area, so we will arrive the day before. Anyone have any ideas, experience staying anywhere in the area? Has anyone camped at Lake Harris? What did you think? How about the B and B there? Does anyone know of other places? Thanks!
Naturlvr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I'm sure Gary will chime in here. there are a couple of campsites not far from Upper Works.

Cold River Bob and I Slept in the back of his truck at Upper Works last season.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
forevrwyld
Keith and Dad, Redfield Summit

We stay in Long Lake all the time. It's a nice meeting point for a bunch of my hike / canoe buds as we come from all points of the compass. Food and chilly beverage at the ADK Hotel is a tasty way to start the trip.

As for someplace really close, back of the truck can't be beat!

-george-
"The trail is what it is. If it goes up, over, under -- there is the choice to follow it or not. As for weather, it will be what it will be. One cannot choose conditions, only to hike or not to hike." AT Thru-Hiker
forevrwyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
Naturlvr73

Thanks for the info so far! As far as Long Lake goes, do you stay at the hotel? Can you reccomend a lodging place there?

Thanks!

Teresa
Old 01-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Boreal Chickadee

Stayed at Lake Harris once before a hike and it's a very nice state campground. Quiet, hot showers, a pretty lake etc.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Neil
Kayak-46

Aunt Polly's B&B in Newcomb.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Corner Motel, Long Lake. older place but wonderful hosts.
Long Lake Hotel is an old place too, shared baths.etc.Nice tap room tho.
There are quite a few other places in LL that are open seasonally.
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
forevrwyld
Keith and Dad, Redfield Summit

I second the Adirondack Hotel -- I think the metal beds, shared baths, and creaking floors give it character.

The Corner Motel is cheap and accepts pets, at least last time I stayed there.

I have also stayed at Sandy Point Motel and the Long View Lodge. We like the ambiance of the Long View Lodge as each room is nicely appointed with antiques / older furnishings if your into that sort of thing and they have a huge wrap around porch to sit on, I also think they have the best food in Long Lake.

-george-
"The trail is what it is. If it goes up, over, under -- there is the choice to follow it or not. As for weather, it will be what it will be. One cannot choose conditions, only to hike or not to hike." AT Thru-Hiker
forevrwyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Corner Motel, Long Lake. older place but wonderful hosts.
Long Lake Hotel is an old place too, shared baths.etc.Nice tap room tho.
There are quite a few other places in LL that are open seasonally.
opppps I meant the ADK Hotel, as opposed to Long Lake Hotel, sorry.
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
teejay

Grain of salt

I have never stayed at the Adirondack Hotel but some years ago it was portrayed (probably on VFTT) as being rather "hiker-unfriendly." A quick search didn't turn up anything and this not from personal experience, so take it for what it's worth.

There are tons of places to stay along the lake but many, if not most, of them are seasonal (eg. Memorial Day to Columbus Day) and a bit pricey, I thought.

I have stayed at the Corner Motel. Rather bare-bones but inexpensive and convenient.

I've eaten at both the Long Lake Diner and the Blarney Stone. Service, the times I've been there, at the LLD wasn't too good. The Blarney Stone is a nice local bar.

Lake Harris is very nice and convenient to Upper Works. The last time I was there, bubba and I drove in to the gate. I had my window down with the $4.00 day use fee in my hand. The comely, young ranger came up and asked what we would be doing. I said that we just wanted to use the showers. She said if that was all we were there for, there was no charge. Nice. The showers are fine once you get used to "flushing" them every few seconds.

teejay
Old 01-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
hdscooterfool

Lake Harris

I've stayed at the Lake Harris Campground numerous times when hiking out of the Upper Works or Elk Lake trailheads. The NYSDEC staff is the friendliest that I have ever seen anywhere! The showers and bathrooms (at the shower building anyway) are very modern. There is no swimming, but you've got the lake to look at. The place has lots of kids, so it can be rather noisey...but if your intent is to hike, you probably won't be around too long. Its very close to the UW trailhead. Otherwise, my belief is that Newcomb has almost no real services.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
hillman1
skiing demi-god

The adirondack hotel is very hiker friendly. I remember the post about it being different, but I have first hand experience. After 8 days on the NPT in the rain, we walked in and got rooms. They gave us an incredible discount, and were very friendly. The next morning, after a night of food and drink, they shuttled us at no charge to the post office, then the trail head. The place is great, and I will not soon forget thier hospitality. Top notch.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
teejay

Happy to hear

that things have changed at the Adirondack Hotel. I'll definitely be checking it out one of these days. Thanks to all for the updates.

teejay
Old 02-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
I have never stayed at the Adirondack Hotel but some years ago it was portrayed (probably on VFTT) as being rather "hiker-unfriendly." A quick search didn't turn up anything and this not from personal experience, so take it for what it's worth.

I've eaten at both the Long Lake Diner and the Blarney Stone. Service, the times I've been there, at the LLD wasn't too good. The Blarney Stone is a nice local bar.
I stayed at the Adirondack Hotel once. It was quaint, old beds, shared bathrooms. A good alternative to the rain soaked tent site I dreaded having to find that night. I've stopped there several times for lunch. Large very tasty sandwiches, burgers and the usual lunch menu. I particularly liked the reuben.

Another time, on a solo cross-Adirondack hike and paddle, I was into my 4th day of the trip, struggling in the summer heat to race both thunderstorms and darkness to make it to Long Lake that evening. I started the day at 7th lake and was starving. Although I had plenty of good dehydrated meals with me, all day long I craved the biggest greasy restaurant meal I could get. I really had my heart set on that big reuben. I parked my canoe with the sun barely still up and made a quick clothes change to something a bit more presentable than my soggy stinky paddling shirt and ran a comb through my hair. The waitress sat me down in the dining area and handed me a menu. It was awful. I couldn't even pronounce most items on the highbrow menu, and nothing much cost less than over $20+. No reubens? Nope, not on the evening menu. What a disappointment.

I thanked her and walked out, hiked on up over the hill to the Blarney Stone. It was perfect. Ten mostly non-Amercan beers on tap, the waitress told me the correct pronounciation of Smithwick's is "schmittiks". There was a wonderfully "healthy" Irish menu that looked great. That shepard's pie with mounds of mashed potatoes with meat and veggies and fatty gravy was exactly what I needed. When asked if I wanted another beer I had to tell her I had to find a camp site yet, and shouldn't drink and paddle.

I made camp on the lake very close to town and decided to get a hearty "guide's" breakfast before the long paddling day ahead, my goal was all the way to Lower Saranac Lake. The Long Lake Diner seemed appropriate, where I ordered the largest breakfast they had. The pancakes were the size of your face, and all the other heavy breakfast fare to go with it was very tasty. I must say the waitress at the Blarney Stone was much more pleasant than this one who seemed to hate being there. But the food made up for her dismal mood. In the back of the dining area around a large table the local politicians were obviously argueing all the local issues. Hoss the man himself seemed to be leading the discussion. With the energy of two huge meals providing thousands of calories in me I spent the next night on the LSL almost all the way to Saranac Lake village.

So in short, I highly recommend the Adirondack Hotel for lunch, but forget it for dinner unless you are trying to impress a date. Go to the Blarney Stone instead, and hit the Long Lake Diner for breakfast.

Last edited by Wldrns; 02-06-2007 at 01:30 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
hillman1
skiing demi-god

That night we were there--we ate at the blarney stone, and I actually had the shepards pie. The beers were tasty that night.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
Naturlvr73

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate all of the detail especially about food and beverages! Good post hike food and beer is essential to all good hiking trips!!! (I think its more than half the reason why we hike in the first place) Now we just have to get in good enough shape to carry our packs to the Uphill Lean to. Please feel free to keep posting if anyone has more info. You can never learn too much about this stuff!
Best Wishes,

Teresa
Old 07-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
Naturlvr73

Lake Harris does rock!

Thanks again to everyone who helped plan our trip! We did end up loving Lake aharris...as everyone has said wonderful staff, clean facilities, very scenic, and lots of bird life!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
1ADAM12
Should I Jump?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturlvr73 View Post
Thanks again to everyone who helped plan our trip! We did end up loving Lake aharris...as everyone has said wonderful staff, clean facilities, very scenic, and lots of bird life!

Yeah i like it there too. I will be staying there for the 2nd time in a few weeks.
1ADAM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #19
yvon
ADK 46er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Aunt Polly's B&B in Newcomb.
Yes Aunt Polly's B&B, I was there 2 weeks ago, when we did The Santanoni Range.

Les randonnées de Annie et Yvon (Website)
----
Hiking pics, only
yvon is offline   Reply With Quote