Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
calvins

Thought I'd share my jerky recipe

2 pounds (about 1 kg) venison or beef sliced 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup (240 ml) bourbon or 2 cups (480 ml) red wine (I use bourbon)
1 cup (240 ml) water

Marinate overnight in the refrigerator in a non-metal pan,
covered. Coat with a mixture of 1/2 honey and 1/2 water and
hang on a rack for 8 hours to dry.

Place in a cold smoker for 12 hours.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Rock

Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvins View Post
2 pounds (about 1 kg) venison or beef sliced 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup (240 ml) bourbon or 2 cups (480 ml) red wine (I use bourbon)
1 cup (240 ml) water

Marinate overnight in the refrigerator in a non-metal pan,
covered. Coat with a mixture of 1/2 honey and 1/2 water and
hang on a rack for 8 hours to dry.

Place in a cold smoker for 12 hours.
Hmm sounds good.

can someone give me some venison and loan me a smoker?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Hmm sounds good.

can someone give me some venison and loan me a smoker?
You can make a easy smoker with a cardboard box, a electric hot plate, an old cast iron frying pan,a oven thermometer, and some dowels for a rack.
saw it on "good eats" on the food network. it might be on their website.
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Wldrns

Calvin's looks like a good recipe. many people use way too much soy sauce, which also adds too much salt for my taste. The bourbon/wine will both flavor and tenderize nicely.

I've been using using essentially this same recipe, minus the extra salt, plus a pinch of dry mustard and ginger... and substituting grapefruit juice for the 2 cups of liquid. It also tenderizes and adds a unique flavor.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Calvin's looks like a good recipe. many people use way too much soy sauce, which also adds too much salt for my taste.
Have you tried the tamari soy sauce, which is a Japanese as opposed to a Chinese style? It's not as heavy or as salty as the Chinese type. Tamari is a type, not a brand, made by several different manufacturers. I use it in most of my dehydrator recipes calling for soy sauce.

Your recipe sounds good too as long as it's not too gingery. The one ting i found about a lot of Vietnamese food was too much ginger. I think uit must have been the French influence.

hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 03-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
coolrobc

I would also suggest getting your soy sauce from an Asian market if your ever near one. There's a big difference in the flavor when compared to the standard market brands (LaChoy, Kikomann, etc.)

I adapted my jerky recipe from Emeril and I use a dehydrator.

I find it's a little spicy, but the crushed red pepper I have at home seems extra hot. I make a double batch and use 2/3 of the red pepper called for. I've only made it twice and I'm looking forward to playing the the recipe some more. Especially using wine or whiskey in it.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
coolrobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrobc View Post
Especially using wine or whiskey in it.
Has anyone ever used applejack or hard cider? ust wondering because I know that a lot of game tastes great (or is it "less filling") when grilled over apple wood.

Unfortunately I can't use any of that dehydrating because of the alcohol content, but I think it might give it some good flavor.

Hawk
Old 03-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Hobbitling
spring fever

I would think the alcohol would evaporate right off. why doesnt it work?
I've seen a few jerky recipes online with wine and beer in them. I'm hoping to try making jerky for the first time soon.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
coolrobc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
I've seen a few jerky recipes online with wine and beer in them. I'm hoping to try making jerky for the first time soon.
There may be other reasons why someone may not use alcohol in food.

I would highly recommend making your own, it's awesome. You can make a few pounds for what 1 pound costs to buy. The dehydrator pays for itself in no time.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
coolrobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
It's not the dehydrator that has the problem with alcohol, it's me.

And unless alcohol is subject to high heat, i think about 260 it doesn't dissipitate.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
It's not the dehydrator that has the problem with alcohol, it's me.

And unless alcohol is subject to high heat, i think about 260° it doesn't dissipitate.
Redhawk
I think you could put the alcohol in a pot, heat it, then flash burn the alcohol off.Then use it in the recipe.
However, alot of the flavors associated with cooking with alcohol are from the fact that alcohol is a solvent that releases otherwise trapped flavors from the ingredients.
Bon apitite!

Here is the smoker address]

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show...245800,00.html
Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #13
St.Regis

A hot plate inside a cardboard box??

I don't think so Tim.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #14
calvins

I've played with the recipe and that's just how we like it. As with anything, it's only a guide.

Here's what I do mine in: http://www.jtbuckonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=182

It's difficult to keep my Weber smoker at a low enough temperature.
I've heard of people setting the oven on the lowest setting and some even crack open the oven door. I've never done it that way but don't see why it wouldn't work.

I think it'd work fine in a dehyd. but the smoke flavor would be missing.

As for that alcohol, it evaporates at 180dF but if it's a problem almost any liquid would work. I tried apple juice and it was ok, we just like this better. <shrug>

Bottom line is, use good lean meat and it's going to be much better than the stuff you can buy.

I make it up and vacuum seal it into portions and into the freezer so it's there when I want it.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
what'sinaname
Slow down and enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvins View Post
It's difficult to keep my Weber smoker at a low enough temperature.
I've heard of people setting the oven on the lowest setting and some even crack open the oven door. I've never done it that way but don't see why it wouldn't work.
Actually, the oven works well enough, but you don't get the smokey flavour. The only problem I had was the recipe when I made my jerky last year, but can't blame the oven on that! Also works well for drying fruit, veggies, meat if you don't have a dehydrator.
what'sinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #16
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'sinaname View Post
Actually, the oven works well enough, but you don't get the smokey flavour. The only problem I had was the recipe when I made my jerky last year, but can't blame the oven on that! Also works well for drying fruit, veggies, meat if you don't have a dehydrator.
There is an item on the grocery store called "Liquid Smoke". It comes in a little glass bottle the size baking extracts come in. There are a few brands that I have seen. I have used it in chili and such. It is very strong so use sparingly.Here is a link to amazon that has it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
Old 03-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
There is an item on the grocery store called "Liquid Smoke". It comes in a little glass bottle the size baking extracts come in. There are a few brands that I have seen. I have used it in chili and such. It is very strong so use sparingly.Here is a link to amazon that has it.
Sparingly is the word. I put too much of that stuff in my jerky one time and burped liquid smoke taste for two days
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #18
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
There is an item on the grocery store called "Liquid Smoke". . It is very strong so use sparingly.
I like to use this occassionally but must stress the "sparingly". Like the old Brylcreme commercial used to say... "a little dab'l doyah."
Old 03-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #19
Adirondack_hunter
Southern Adirondack Hunter

Make sure if you use liquid smoke you put the cap on tight. If you don't and it spills....OMG what a mess!
WARNING!!!! Don't overtighten the top or you will split it.
I'll post my jerky recipe in a bit or as soon as I find it here....LMBO
I'll be trying your recipes shortly. I'm looking forward to them.
Rockclimbing.com NY Route Editor
Adirondack_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #20
calvins

A friend of mine uses L.S. I've tried it and it'll pass but nothing like real smoke. I've offered the use of my smoker but ... oh well. Personally, I'll stick with the Real McCoy. ;-D A nice pecan, apple, or even cherry works well. We don't care for the mesquite though, for anything.

I have a theory that the folks down south just put a good sales gimmick together to get rid of that stuff on us unsuspecting "Yankees" and make some $ off of what they didn't want anyhow.. Most of them don't even use it.