Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
drbadskwerl

Camping/Transportation/Parking Questions

Hello Everyone!

My friend and I are planning a trip to the Adirondacks this summer. I have ordered 2 maps from the adk.org online store and I'm sure they'll adress most of my questions but I thought I'd ask the experts while I wait for them to arrive

1. We're hoping to climb Mount March and Sawteeth via scenic trail during the week. Is there parking available at the trailheads or should we find a campsite that is close to the trailheads (I will have a car with me)...

2. I read the other thread in this forum about suggested camp sites. Is it feasable to stay at Fish Creek or Rollins or Nicks Lake and use it as a 'base camp' and drive to the trailheads on hiking days and to touristy like attractions as well or are these camp sites too far away? I don't mind a 30-40min drive as I'm from the country so pretty much anything is at least 30min away.

Thanks in advance!

Edit - Aftering looking at an online map, Nick's Lake seems to be on the opposite side of the park. Can you guys offer any camping (tent) suggestions relatively close to Marcy and Sawteeth that have a lake and allow fires?

Last edited by drbadskwerl; 03-27-2007 at 10:42 AM..
drbadskwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

First of all welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, most of the hike up Sawteeth will be on private land owned by the Ausable Club. Hikers are allowed to hike the trails on their property, but they cannot camp on it. The parking area for the trailhead is located at the end of Saint Huberts Road near Route 73.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...ad27&layer=DRG
The easiest way up Marcy is to hike in from the ADK Loj (located at the end of Heart Lake Road) up the Van Hoevenberg Trail.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...ad27&layer=DRG
There is a campground at the Loj that is run by the Adirondack Mountain Club. http://www.adk.org/ad_wilderness/index.aspx
It’s about a half hour drive from there to the Ausable Club. I’m not sure if fires are permitted at the campground. The portion of the High Peaks Wilderness that surrounds ADK’s land does not permit fires. If you do camp there be sure to keep all food items stored in a bear canister.

Another campground option it Lake Harris state campground located in Newcomb. Fires are permitted there. The campground it about a half hour drive from the Tahawus trailhead where you could hike to Marcy from although it would be a longer route (about 18 miles round trip vs 14 miles round trip from ADK Loj). It’s about 1.5 hours from the Ausable Club and about 2 hours from ADK Loj. Please note that these times are from Mapquest.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Are bear canisters required in both of those areas?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Are bear canisters required in both of those areas?
I'm not sure if they are required or not, but I'd defiantly use one at ADK Loj campground as it is or was part of the regular corridor frequented by bears looking for easy eats.

Lake Harris is located away form that problem area and you probably donít need to use a canister there, but you will still want to properly secure your food from animals. You may want to verify with the campground its self though.
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...ds/harris.html

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
drbadskwerl

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Campfires, swimming and beer (being permitted)! are definte 'must haves' for a campsite for me. I was reading the Lake Harris link and they say they don't have a swimming beach. Are there any other campgrounds in the area that meet the fire, swim and beer hat trick?

Can any of you seasoned veterans tell me if there is parking anywhere close to the Marcy and Sawteeth trail heads?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Little Rickie

You can swim in Heart Lake and have fires at the ADK Loj campsites & lean-tos. Most folks lock their food in their cars out of sight.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
adkdremn
Dreamin I'm there....the ADKS!

If I were you I'd stay at the Adirondak Loj campground at Heart Lake. I've been staying there for quite a few years now, and myself and family love it there. This is also the most popular way to reach Marcy, the trail head is only a short walk from your campsite. Make reservations ahead of time just in case they're full when you get there. If you don't want to drive there are numerous other high peaks that can be reached from the campground.
Alqounquin, Wright, Iroquois, Colden, Street, Nye and the list goes on.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
drbadskwerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkdremn View Post
If I were you I'd stay at the Adirondak Loj campground at Heart Lake. I've been staying there for quite a few years now, and myself and family love it there. This is also the most popular way to reach Marcy, the trail head is only a short walk from your campsite. Make reservations ahead of time just in case they're full when you get there. If you don't want to drive there are numerous other high peaks that can be reached from the campground.
Alqounquin, Wright, Iroquois, Colden, Street, Nye and the list goes on.
Thank you for the suggestion! Is there swimmin g? Are campfires allowed? Can I have a drink or 2 in the evening? Do I need a bear cannister or can I keep everything in a cooler in the trunk of my car?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
oldsmores

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbadskwerl View Post
1. We're hoping to climb Mount March and Sawteeth via scenic trail during the week. Is there parking available at the trailheads or should we find a campsite that is close to the trailheads (I will have a car with me)...

2. I read the other thread in this forum about suggested camp sites. Is it feasable to stay at Fish Creek or Rollins or Nicks Lake and use it as a 'base camp' and drive to the trailheads on hiking days and to touristy like attractions as well or are these camp sites too far away? I don't mind a 30-40min drive as I'm from the country so pretty much anything is at least 30min away...
I'm not sure anyone answered your original questions.
1. There is parking at the trailheads, though if you park at Adk Lodge or The Garden there is a fee.
2. Yes, it's feasible to stay at Fish Creek/Rollins Pond as a base camp
oldsmores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
Little Rickie

If you pay to camp at the Loj the parking fee is included. It has indoor plumbing & showers and you can swim in Heart Lake if you like, BYOB.

William Shakespeare
Old 03-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
if you like, BYOB.
Bring Your Own Babe?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Little Rickie

Bring Your Own Babe?

Of course.

Better than booz...until you get married. or

William Shakespeare
Old 03-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
drbadskwerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
Bring Your Own Babe?

Of course.

Better than booz...until you get married. or

Oh I'd disagree with that! Booze doesn't talk back!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
Little Rickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbadskwerl View Post
Oh I'd disagree with that! Booze doesn't talk back!
You haven't drinken enough yet.

William Shakespeare