Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
DuctTape
Out of Shape

The NPT-west. Yeah, it's a thing (maybe).

I have hiked the Northville-Placid Trail (NPT) a few times now. Most recently with my friend Andy in July. while planning for our adventure, I reminded myself of an idea I had been brewing for a few years. The NPT-west. The NPT was the first project of the Adirondack Mountain Club in 1922, and completed in 1924. there have been some changes to it, reroutes and additional sections. But for the most part it is the same 140 mile "straight" trail between Northville and Lake Placid. Being in western, NY I have an affinity for the western regions of the Adirondacks and envisioned a western arc trail also connecting Northville to Lake Placid. In conjunction with the current NPT, this would create a giant loop (or backwards D). The conceptual trail I have put together is approx 260 miles and uses existing trail corridors. It actually has less road walking than the original NPT in 1924. Together with the current NPT, this would be approx 400 miles, from start to finish (start). There is mush of it I have not actually walked, so this trip would be my official start of the NPT-west.

http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/2018...ing-maybe.html

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
snapper
snapper

Russ - I love your idea but I'll say this...you're a better man than I Gunga Din. There's no way I could walk all those miles on the RR tracks. The inability to get into any sort of natural stride would drive me nuts. I'll need to wait until the tracks are gone; or a trail is set up parallel to them.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

PS - I plan on going southbound from Averyville Rd. to Long Lake the end of September. If you have any trail info for that stretch, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I cannot give a percentage, but most of the time I was parallel to the tracks themselves. But I completely understand.

The LP to Duck Hole section is in need of blowdown removal. Many complain of lack of trail markers, but I don't think more are needed when the path ahead is ibvious. From Duck Hole to the hermitage is a lot of up and down. My friend Andy calls it "the church section". The miles go slow here. From the hermitage to Shattuck is nice along the River. The bridge at Seward brook still needs to be constructed, materials are there. Absent a recent rain or in spring, the brook is a rock-hop most of the time. Shattuck to LL is a very nice walk. Not a lot of "big views" or anything, just easy walking and pretty woods. LL to parking area is well travelled, on weekends expect boaters at the lake side campsites. Happy hiking.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
snapper
snapper

Russ - Thanks for the report. I'd heard similar comments as yours but I know you're very familiar with the area so it's good to read your thoughts. I've actually hiked most of the stretch down to LL but haven't done from the start down to Duck Hole so I'm just putting this all together. I figured it was probably better to hike the more challenging sections first and end off with a lovely walk. Besides, the drive home will be an hour shorter leaving from LL instead of Placid when I'm finished; something I'm sure I'll appreciate when the time comes.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've often thought that for all of the public land in the Adirondacks, there really isn't a whole lot of long distance connectivity at least as far as foot trails are concerned (snowmobile trails have great long distance connectivity in some areas, but they also tend to be wet and swampy and not make great hiking trails). It's surprising to me that there aren't more opportunities for week-long (or longer) outings in the Adirondacks where one can travel 50 or 100 miles without retracing one's steps or undertaking extensive road walks.

Contrast the Adirondacks with the Pennsylvania Wilds- where the majority of options demand a significant time commitment. Even though the PA Wilds is roughly only about a third the size of the Adirondacks, the shortest "major" backpacking trail of the region is the West Rim Trail, which clocks in at 30 linear miles. And the opportunities only increase from there- you've got the 42 mile Black Forest Trail loop, the 50 mile Chuck Keiper Trail loop, the 75 mile Quehanna Trail loop, the 85 mile Susquehannock Trail System loop (one of my top 5 favorite backpacking trips ever), and the 120 mile combined Bucktail Path and Donut Hole Trail linear trek. The Susquehannock Trail System and the Black Forest Trail can even be combined to make a single loop that is well over 100 miles in length.

Specifically, I've also often through that a loop trail around the periphery of the Adirondack Park would be an amazing thing to see. I've played around with mapping software by planning tentative routes, and by my calculations, such a loop would easily be 400-500 miles. In some areas, construction would be relatively easy- existing trails would need minimal hardening, and short connector trails would need to be constructed. In other areas, extensive new trails would need to be built. It certainly would not be a minor undertaking.

The general route of your "NPT West" seems to coincide with some of my thoughts for the west leg of an ADK Loop Trail. (Call it the "Blue Line Trail," or the BLT!)
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote