Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Irvina

Biking with kids

Hi,
I am looking for the advice!
Do you know if there are good bike trails in ADK suitable for biking with kids? I am looking for closed to motor vehicles roads/trails, may be old logging roads or well defined multi use trails in the Lake Placid or Saranac lake areas; however I am open to other suggestions.
The ideal would be something like rail-to-trail converted bike path. The closest I found so far is the Moose plains road, but it is open to cars. How is the traffic there in the summer?
I did some Internet search but it looks that most people riding the regular roads, which is dangerous for kids.
Also, we are not hardcore mountain bikers, so log jumping is out of range now.
Thanks!
Irvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvina View Post
Hi,
I am looking for the advice!
Do you know if there are good bike trails in ADK suitable for biking with kids? I am looking for closed to motor vehicles roads/trails, may be old logging roads or well defined multi use trails in the Lake Placid or Saranac lake areas; however I am open to other suggestions.
The ideal would be something like rail-to-trail converted bike path. The closest I found so far is the Moose plains road, but it is open to cars. How is the traffic there in the summer?
I did some Internet search but it looks that most people riding the regular roads, which is dangerous for kids.
Also, we are not hardcore mountain bikers, so log jumping is out of range now.
Thanks!
Biking is actually a very safe activity for kids. I rode across the state with my then-8-year-old a couple of years ago, and we ride thousands of miles per year on the road now that he's 11.

One of the most important things you can do is make sure that you're absolutely visible - bright, flourescent jerseys, lights ( even in the daytime ), etc.

One thing I found very useful was to always ride about 15 feet behind and slightly to the left of my kids. That would force cars to give them a wider berth when passing. Always take the lane when appropriate for your safety - it may annoy idiot drivers, but that's their problem, not yours.

I'm afraid I can't offer specific advice - we tried the bit of the Tobie Trail between Old Forge and Inlet last year, but it was a pretty miserable experience, as a lot of it was washboard or sand. Some of the road rides in the area were reasonably nice, like the South Shore road on the other side of the Fulton chain.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
mulveyr

Oh, I just remembered - I think that the Adirondack Scenic Railroad in Thendara does some sort of ride-and-bike thing where you take the train out to some mountain bike trails, and then you ride back. You might want to check that out.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
jan

If you want to come further south, the Warren County bike trail goes from Lake George to Glens Falls. It's paved and is away from the road except for a couple very short sections. You also can connect to the Feeder Canal Trail which is a hard packed stone dust surface.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
rdl

Couple suggestions: There is a town(?) owned trail system off I believe Bear Cub Rd which runs south of Lake Placid off Old Military Rd. I've x-country skied there but have not biked there -- I believe the trails are pretty open and there's not a lot of elevation change.

Another option, which is a little south of Lake Placid, is the road into Camp Santanoni. This is closed to vehicles and is about 5 miles long. Access is in Newcomb.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
SteveSam

We did the Camp Santanoni Road with our kids quite a few years ago. There is a decent climb and the road is dirt so it would not be good on a road bike. It is a nice destination and there are no cars.
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
ScAtTeRbOnE
Balsam Sniffer

There is some good biking at the base of Scarface Mtn, I've never been there but the trails are fairly level and beginner rated and in a nice pine forest.

A good resource is BIKE ADKS
ScAtTeRbOnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
tiogaguy

There are some great trails in the Saranac Lake and Loon Lake area. There is an old railroad grade that runs from Bloomingdale to Buck Pond State Park. Numerous old roads in the Kushaqua Lake area. Here are is a link to Franklin County mountain bike trails. We made several loops in this area last week.

http://www.adirondacklakes.com/recreation/biking.html
tiogaguy is offline   Reply With Quote