Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Nairb

Woods Lake near Benson

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any info about campsites on woods lake near Benson. I'm planning on camping there one night on my way through and I can only seem to find info on sites #3, and #4. I'm hoping to find a nice spot a bit further from the trail. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if theis a good spot to jump in for a swim. Thanks everyone.
Nairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
dundee

I can't say about going back into the woods to camp, but the designated sites at Woods are nice, but I wouldn't stay on a Fri. or Sat. night; too close to the road. I really didn't look very well for swimming spots, but at a quick glance it didn't seem like a good spot for swimming.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
OntarioSkiBum

If i remember correctly, we hiked past several sites that weren't really swim friendly. The last site was swimmable, but had large rocks... Maybe 1 foot average. Once in the water, it was quite nice. The site was pretty dirty. We cleaned it somewhat but couldn't stomach taking the dirty underwear.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Nairb

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. When you say last site do you remember where that was? Are all the sites right on the trail going along the east shore or are there some on the west shore? Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
OntarioSkiBum

The sites we checked out were on the south / southeast shore. I'm not sure if we made it all the way to the last site or not, but we essentially stopped looking once we found a swimmable location. If i had to guess we passed maybe 3 other sites.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Just a thought, but there are plenty of open woods in that area where the 150 foot regulation wouldn’t be a huge deal, and there are a few streams that drain into Woods Lake where the NPT swings around the north end of the lake, which also might make for reasonable options to stop & freshen up a bit as opposed to an undesirable swim in the lake.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Just a thought, but there are plenty of open woods in that area where the 150 foot regulation wouldn’t be a huge deal, and there are a few streams that drain into Woods Lake where the NPT swings around the north end of the lake, which also might make for reasonable options to stop & freshen up a bit as opposed to an undesirable swim in the lake.
I wouldn't classify the swim at Woods Lake as undesirable. In fact, it was very nice. I just wanted to make sure the OP was aware that it was a bit of a rock scramble to get into the lake... Not a nice beach.

I also recall quite a few of what I'd assume to be juvenile salamanders in the water. My kids thought they were pretty cool.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
Lucky13

Likely Newts. Olive with tiny orange spots. They are found in most Adirondack ponds and small lakes.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Nairb

Thanks again for the info and tips. Ended up finding a nice spot but had to spend the first 45 minutes there cleaning up the previous visitors trash. Ended up carrying out 1 and a half trash bags worth of garbage. It was all over the place. Ended up with a nice night but woke up to a couple random and quick rain showers. All in all it was a nice place for a quick over night on or way to Lake George.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20180625_090546.jpg (143.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg rps20180625_091325.jpg (120.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg rps20180625_091239.jpg (122.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg rps20180625_091002.jpg (128.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
dundee

Oh, those empty cans are SOOOOO heavy to take back out, 1/3 miles(?), to the car. Thanks for cleaning up!
Old 06-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
Lucky13

I always try to remember a couple of pairs of latex gloves for cleaning up after the thoughtless (braindead?)prior residents.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
Nairb

That's a good idea. I can't believe I never thought to do that.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #13
JohnnyVirgil

I can't believe people pack up, look behind them as they leave and think, "Yeah, that's fine." I can only assume that (a) it wasn't like that when they showed up and they are completely oblivious to everything around them, or (b) it was, and they didn't care and just added to the sh!tshow.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #14
Lucky13

Could you at least get a nickel for the cans or did they come from south of the (NYS) border?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post
Ended up finding a nice spot but had to spend the first 45 minutes there cleaning up the previous visitors trash. Ended up carrying out 1 and a half trash bags worth of garbage. It was all over the place.
Ugh! Unfortunately that is not at all surprising. Thanks so much for helping to clean things up. Every time I’ve been by some of those sites it’s a similar deal, and another perfect example why not to allow easy public access to the Boreas Ponds. You should report what you found to the local Ranger if you haven’t done so already, even though it still seems to have zero effect.

Last edited by Justin; 06-25-2018 at 04:48 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
Schip

Thanks for cleaning up. It's a shame you had to do it.

Kath
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I can't believe people pack up, look behind them as they leave and think, "Yeah, that's fine." I can only assume that (a) it wasn't like that when they showed up and they are completely oblivious to everything around them, or (b) it was, and they didn't care and just added to the sh!tshow.

All of the above, I'm afraid.

Tags
northville placid trail, npt, woods lake