Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #21
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I've been using permetherin on my clothing during hunting season for years here in Connecticut, home of Lyme Disease. Lyme Ct. is on the coast of CT., and just off shore is Plumb Island , where for decades the Government did their biological warfare testing and research, any connection there?????

Also check out this article on tick born diseases , the 24-36 hours attachment before you can get Lyme disease sounds like it is not true any more.
Lyme effects people in many different ways, not always terribly bad, or long lasting But....

Oh, and watch your dog, is they start limping for no apparent reason , and especially if they start limping on different legs, it may well be Lyme disease. My previous Setter had Lyme as did I, We were both fortunate to catch it quickly with no lasting effects,

Please read this article,

http://www.mvtimes.com/2016/07/13/vi...-lyme-disease/

One of the many things I like about the Adirondacks is not having to worry about ticks when I take a walk in the woods, here in CT it a different story, even if I'm going in the woods behind the house for a few minutes, I'll put my permetherin treated pants on.

John M
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #22
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
One of the many things I like about the Adirondacks is not having to worry about ticks..

John M
You do now. Everyone coming here needs to be just as prepared as you would elsewhere where there are ticks.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #23
MrKawfey

Well, looks like I'm now a statistic. Just found out last week that I've got Lyme disease. Started antibiotics Saturday but no improvement yet. Can hardly turn my head because of pain at the base of my skull and the whole left side of my head feels like it's on fire.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #24
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
Well, looks like I'm now a statistic. Just found out last week that I've got Lyme disease. Started antibiotics Saturday but no improvement yet. Can hardly turn my head because of pain at the base of my skull and the whole left side of my head feels like it's on fire.
Bummer! I wish you a quick recovery.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #25
Woodly

Quote:
May I ask if you are taking Amoxicillin? As it is no longer considered effective against Lyme?
Good luck.

There will be a vaccination for Lyme in a few years-and that's good but I believe something should be done about ticks themselves. They've done it with other insects and the like.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #26
MrKawfey

Doxycycline. One month, then we go from there.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #27
Buckladd

'Sorry to hear this MrKawfey.

I wish soap or bodywash could be developed that is safe for humans but kills or detered ticks. It's getting out of hand. Now there's a new Asian tick in New Jersey.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #28
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post

There will be a vaccination for Lyme in a few years-and that's good but I believe something should be done about ticks themselves. They've done it with other insects and the like.
There was a vaccine for people 17-18 years ago. It wasn't effective or sales were poor, depending on what article you read.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #29
Woodly

Quote:
Doxycycline. One month, then we go from there.
That's the good one.
I hope you recover your health back soon
Old 04-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #30
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
There was a vaccine for people 17-18 years ago. It wasn't effective or sales were poor, depending on what article you read.
They are working on a new one.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:29 PM   #31
dundee

Thanks, didn't know that.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #32
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Thanks, didn't know that.
Lets hope it happens sooner than expected and works. I'd like to believe the CDC and others are beginning to realize how serious tick diseases are becoming.
One thing about Lyme, it usually can be treated successfully. There are tick borne diseases in the west that can't be. Fortunately they normally are rare. Could that change with climate change?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:50 PM   #33
wiiawiwb

Quote:
We're all pulling for you and hope things get better. I don't know where you live but if you're any where near the Capital District I would look up Dr. Ronald Stram. Lyme disease is a specialty of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Len9SRa-VAM
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #34
suescanal

I've been diagnosed 3 times . The latest snake_oil preventative is spraying yourself with apple cider vinegar and Vodka- organic and shareable.
suescanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #35
Woodly

One can buy liquid Permethrin at places like Tractor Supply. Then put it in your own spray bottle. You'll save $$ that way
Old 05-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #36
rADK

Great stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...dp/B001ANQVZE/
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #37
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rADK View Post

Same product I have been using for a few years now. A 24 ounce bottle easily lasts the year. I have been in some heavily infested areas and never had a tick on me.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #38
JerseyHighlander

You guys might want to go read the product warnings before diving at this stuff head first. https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ent-treatment/ (See Downloads in the bottom right corner. I tend to be fond of my liver and nervous system, I'll take the non-investor driven natural repellents.

I love how it says it's totally safe to spray it on your dog's fur but then the warnings say it's harmful if swallowed or contacts the skin, call poison control. Don't know about yours, but all the dogs I've ever seen have this tendency to lick their fur...

All winter long the weather fools are raving about the weekly apocalyptic "storm of the century". Rest of the year it's the weekly extinction level plague.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #39
bluequill

The product is designed to be applied to clothing that is not being worn. It is applied and allowed to dry. Once dried, it is not harmful. I prefer to chance the permethrin touching my skin rather than battling Lyme disease.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #40
MrKawfey

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...-effectiveness

We are truly our own worst enemy