This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAFE Act.

Here is the press release from the office of the Governor. It is not the actual act itself so it might not be totally clear. It does not seem to affect the use of firearms for sporting /recreational purposes in the ADKs. It does make buying ammo a bit harder and more expensive due to unseen govt. costs.

Here is the actual SAFE Act. It is rather long and in legalize.

Enacts the NY Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (SAFE) Act of 2013.

Thanks Phil and Scott.
    Last edited by chairrock; 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM. Reason: noun vs. verb
    Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
    Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Note from moderators

As we all know, this is and can be a controversial issue, however, there is some relevance to this section of ADKForum. Provided this thread remains focused on facts, clarification of regulations, etc, it will remain open. This is NOT the place for debate, Second Amendment discussions, or conspiracy theories...take that to your Facebook pages please. Any politically charged posts will likely be deleted, and the thread locked.

Having said that, I would like to personally thank all of you for keeping this forum relatively calm and respectful in the last year...while we once feared it was quickly spiraling into a hornets nest, some level of sanity has been restored...thank you!

Please - let's keep it that way.

Scott
    “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

2 Things that concern me and it's mostly of the slippery slope variety:

"Statewide recertification of handguns and assault weapons: The legislation will require individuals who have a handgun license or have registered an assault weapon in New York State to recertify every five years through their county of residence. With this more accurate information, the state will establish an electronic gun permit database that may be run against other databases containing the names of people who will be disqualified from possessing firearms, including those with criminal convictions, involuntary commitments, and those subject to orders of protection, as well as death records."

"Possession of an unloaded gun will be raised from a misdemeanor to a Class E felony."

I could see the second point creating problems with states that don't have as strict laws.

Otherwise this seems like mostly a political move by Cuomo trying to front run the feds. If that's considered political I apologize but there doesn't seem to be too much in the way of prevention of school shootings in this legislation or enough to reduce the # of legal firearms [gun control].
      A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
        If that's considered political
        It is...but mostly your summary sentence.
        “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Are schools political?

Is the media contribution to the problem political?

If so, which political parties do they belong to? How do the above two questions attack one political party over another?

Comment

Originally posted by Troy1964 View Post
            Are schools political?

Is the media contribution to the problem political?

If so, which political parties do they belong to? How do the above two questions attack one political party over another?
            It's politicizing the issue. Period.

Comment

I pulled this off of wikipedia:
              Heavily politicized issues are often called "hot-button issues" because almost any position taken is sure to please one group of people and offend another.

A group holding one opinion on an issue will sometimes accuse their opposition of "politicizing the issue". The implication is that they are honestly dealing with the issue on the merits while the opposition is bringing the issue up purely for political gain.

Based on the above, I can see how the entire SAFE act issue (and any comments about it) is political.

However, it would seem appropriate that the members and moderators not "cut" posts to further any one political perspective. I would think objectional posts should be deleted in their entirety.

Comment

Originally posted by Troy1964 View Post
                I pulled this off of wikipedia:
                Heavily politicized issues are often called "hot-button issues" because almost any position taken is sure to please one group of people and offend another.

A group holding one opinion on an issue will sometimes accuse their opposition of "politicizing the issue". The implication is that they are honestly dealing with the issue on the merits while the opposition is bringing the issue up purely for political gain.

Based on the above, I can see how the entire SAFE act issue (and any comments about it) is political.

However, it would seem appropriate that the members and moderators not "cut" posts to further any one political perspective. I would think objectional posts should be deleted in their entirety.
                Agreed...I wasn't leaving only a part of it to make a specific point, but it did appear that way perhaps.

Sorry, but this is a very touchy issue, and I've seen it go to pieces quickly. We don't want that...

To clarify your point - debates about the impact or effectiveness of SAFE Act are political. Clarifications or questions about specific facts on the ruling itself are not.

Thanks for your help and understanding

Comment

[QUOTE=Pumpkin QAAD;195647]

"Statewide recertification of handguns and assault weapons: The legislation will require individuals who have a handgun license or have registered an assault weapon in New York State to recertify every five years through their county of residence."

Since I hold a license to carry concealed, 3 questions come to my mind:
                  1) How is the 5 year recertification going to work? Am I going to have to spend hours standing in line five years from now with hundreds or thousands of other license holders trying to obtain their recertification?
                  2) My license was issued in a county other than the one in which I now live. My current address is listed on my license. Am I going to have difficulty recertifying if I have to go through my "county of residence"?
                  3) How much is it going to cost to recertify my license?

Just askin'.
                  "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
                  My pictures:
                  https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Booger View Post
                    3) How much is it going to cost to recertify my license?
                    This may be of some usefulness: http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/a...do-to-my-guns/

Looks like (based on the 3rd question) there will be no cost.

Comment

Hopefully they don't make the restriction at 5 years and you can re-certify say in 4 years (for another 5 year period). But you're right it'll be a horde of people registering now and in 5-years, they will certainly look to make gun owners or licensees foot the bill. My advice would be to get a lifetime super sportsment because the cost is going to go up.
                      A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                        This may be of some usefulness: http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/a...do-to-my-guns/

"A spokesman for the governor said you will not need to pay a fee to do so."
                        "A spokesman for Gov. Andrew Cuomo said there would be no fee associated with this re-registration."

lol....

Part of me says sit tight and wait for the rules, the other part of me is very offended by this legislation.

If a father passes who owned one of these now illegal-to-buy weapons it would appear the son would not be able to legally inherit the property.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post

I guess the cost will be spread out among ALL of the taxpayers.
                          Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                          Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

"The legislation will require individuals who have a handgun license or have registered an assault weapon in New York State to recertify every five years through their county of residence"

We already live in a county where the handgun license is renewed every 5 years(for $200).
                            Will this state registration just automatically happen thru the data base or will there be an additional step/process?????

Comment

Politics - National and World politics are not topics for discussion in this forum, period. The only political discussion allowed is on topics as they relate directly to the management and use of the Adirondack park (i.e. DEC issues, new regulations, etc.).

Just Saying.
                              Later, Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X