Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
rbi99

Rocky Peak Ridge (2)

Whenever anyone asks about time to hike from here-to-there, the first thing anyone wants to know is skill level. So before I ask, here's my basic stuff. I'm 68 but fortunately in very good health, and I have been coming up to the Adirondacks for over 40 years from Cleveland. Here in Cleveland I do 20 minute trail miles (but of course we have no elevation gain to speak of). I have only done this many miles once, many years ago. My typical climb has been around 2000' give or take, and perhaps 7-8 miles. I have climbed a good number of mountains, including Gothic, Saddleback (both directions), Basin, Marcy, Haystack, Gray, Table, Colden, Algonquin, Skylight, Whiteface, Giant, etc. The big ones I did mostly one at a time. I'm slow but relatively steady. I will be attempting RPR in two weeks from New Russia, going in and coming out the same way. So here's my question: I am giving myself 12 hours to do it. My plan is to hit the trail by 7am, which would get me back to my car, naturally, at 7pm. I will have a headlamp with me (though I have never hiked at night), so I feel that even 14 hours can be done safely. Any of you who have hiked in and out on the East Trail, how long did it take you to get to RPR vs the return trip to the trailhead? I'm aware of the lack of water and the need to carry what I need (will have a filter), and that I am looking at 5000' of elevation gain. I climbed Snowy right after Irene, and was surprised at the amount of rocks I had to climb over and around toward the top. I read somewhere that the approach to RPR itself is similar to Snowy. Is that accurate? Any other info anyone might be able to shoot my way would be greatly appreciated. In closing, I know my body, and I know not to get stupid. Just want to have a solid idea of what I am facing going in.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Eddie Fournier

I haven't climbed this one yet, but most people seem to do this in 8-9 hours based on the recordings I've seen on Alltrails: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/n...rom-new-russia

I usually find that my own travel times are not too far from the rule of thumb formula (Milleage / 2 + .5 hours x Elevation / 1000).
Eddie Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
gebbyfish

It's so hard to give you advice on this. For myself, I use MotionXGPS to track my hikes and know my average miles per hour while I'm out there, so I can give an estimate on upcoming hikes I've not done before. I would recommend you look a the most recent similar hikes for distance and elevation gain that you've done and that should be able to give you a ballpark figure on time.
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
MTVhike

I think RPR is a great hike, I have gone as far as Bald up the East trail several times, as well as having done Giant a few time. So, when the opportunity came to do the through hike (when I was 76), and had two cars available, I drove to the RPR trailhead in New Russia and parked a car there. I then drove to the Ridge trail parking area and started the hike at 9:00 AM. It took me 5 hours to get to RPR (including the short hike to the Giant summit), I spent a little time there, and it took another 5 hours to get to the RPR trailhead. Being in October, it was getting dark by 6:30 but was able to complete the hike without using my headlamp (which I did have with me). I assume it would have taken the same amount of time to do the round trip from New Russia.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
rbi99

Thank you for your responses.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
I think RPR is a great hike, I have gone as far as Bald up the East trail several times, as well as having done Giant a few time. So, when the opportunity came to do the through hike (when I was 76), and had two cars available, I drove to the RPR trailhead in New Russia and parked a car there. I then drove to the Ridge trail parking area and started the hike at 9:00 AM. It took me 5 hours to get to RPR (including the short hike to the Giant summit), I spent a little time there, and it took another 5 hours to get to the RPR trailhead. Being in October, it was getting dark by 6:30 but was able to complete the hike without using my headlamp (which I did have with me). I assume it would have taken the same amount of time to do the round trip from New Russia.
The nice thing about the 73 to New Russia traverse is NOT having to climb from RPR/Giant col to (almost) top of Giant. That is a brutal stretch.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
Festus

Hi 99 - This hike was much more open 40 years ago (closer to the fire date) but is still more open that the normal ADK hike and is still a classic. To me, an up and back sounds wiser in your case as you can turn around anytime and you'll know what lies ahead - so there is no reason not to try it! Also, just getting to Bald (about half-way) is a great, rewarding hike by itself. Regarding your questions, there is open rock going up the final half mile to Bald (more slabby like a slide, not as scrambly as Snowy) but the rest of the hike is wooded or open woods mostly. And keep this in mind, while it looks intimidating from Bald looking at the steep hike ahead up to gain the Ridge proper, it goes more quickly than it appears...from then on it eases off and is very enjoyable. Good luck!
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
rbi99

We're bringing two dogs, my own and my son's. Since his hasn't done anything like this, I am thinking that going to Bald might be a better goal. I agree that when on false peaks and such the final climb often looks much tougher then it turns out to be. Considered changing my plans and going up Giant over to RPR, but won't because of the DEC's request we stay below 2500'.

Last edited by rbi99; 05-22-2019 at 12:52 PM..
rbi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #9
rbi99

Shortening the hike also allows me to bring my 12 year old puggle. Going to RPR would have been too much, but Bald is very doable for her. Last fall we were up in Lake Placid and she did seven mountains with me and my younger dog.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:33 PM   #10
TCD

You'll like Bald. Everybody will be happy. Great views, lots of open rock, a really cool big boulder right next to the trail, and you can get out in time for a nice dinner.

Not sure where you have dined out in the area, but if you are doing the New Russia parking, it puts you a little far away from the traditional options in Lake Placid, or even Keene Valley.

Some options:

>Halfway House, 3.4 miles north of trailhead (closest) - very good, sort of gourmet restaurant weirdly crossed with biker bar.

>Deer's Head Inn in Etown, pretty good.

>The classic DeCesar's Pizza in Schroon Lake.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
MTVhike

When are you doing this? A week ago the parking area for RPR in New Russia was a deep mud hole (there are some solid parts, however). So, if you park there, please don't block the only solid exit!!
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #12
rbi99

Driving up on Thursday of next week and hiking in on Friday. When we get into Placid I will drive down to the trailhead to see what it looks like. Thanks for the heads up. Thank you too TCD for that info. Not sure what we will look (or smell like) when we get out!!! Staying up at tmax's in Placid.