Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
snapper
snapper

Camping at Wakely Dam

For a variety of reasons I am looking at the possibility of camping one night at Wakely Dam while out on the NPT this coming June. I know this can be a busy area and I'm wondering if others have stayed there and, if so, would you be willing to share your experience. Bottom line...am I nuts for wanting to camp in this area or is a quiet night possible? I realize this may be an almost impossible question to answer but if you have any insight, please feel free to share it. Thanks!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
MrKawfey

I have camped there a few times and it was one of our stops when we hiked the npt. Generally I've found it to be quiet and the campers respectful of quiet hours. I've never seen it like some of the dec campgrounds that are overflowing with people just looking for a place to drink. If you show up mid week that should be even better.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I camped there in the winter when I did the Piseco to Lake Durant section with a few friends as part of our quest to section hike the entire trail in winter. We had the whole area to ourselves at night... although I remember the wind really howled all night long.

I would say that a quiet night is possible or even probable in the summer but it's not a guarantee. It can occasionally get a little bit busy there.

There are a few other options in the area. This DEC map of the vicinity shows a tent site on the NPT on the west shore of the Cedar River Flow, a few miles south of the dam. I vaguely remember this site from my thru-hike a couple of falls ago. The map also shows a tent site at Wakely Pond, north of Wakely Dam.

Last edited by DSettahr; 02-24-2016 at 08:58 AM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
snapper
snapper

Thanks for the info & insights!

Until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
dundee

I spent a very quiet night there one fall doing the NP. It may have been mid-week, but it was very cold and got below 20. There was a thread here about a year ago about a loud party somewhere on the Flow that kept people awake for sometime. If you did a search, you'd probably find it.

The tentsite that DS refers on the west side of the Flow is called Icehouse Landing. There is room for a few tents, but I'm not sure it's legal. It is too close to both the trail and the water and there is no sign designating it as legal or illegal. However, it does get frequent use and it is listed on the map provided by DS.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
The tentsite that DS refers on the west side of the Flow is called Icehouse Landing. There is room for a few tents, but I'm not sure it's legal. It is too close to both the trail and the water and there is no sign designating it as legal or illegal. However, it does get frequent use and it is listed on the map provided by DS.
And the map is one made by the DEC. I agree with Dundee that just because it is on the DEC map doesn't mean that it is a legal site designated by the DEC, though.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Bark Eater Too

There's an official (ADA accessible) and unofficial campsite at Wakely Pond about a mile further north. Just after the trail turns off the road. The unofficial one has a great view of the pond. The official one is in the woods but is pleasant. The dam is typically fairly quiet during the week but can become a bit of a zoo on weekends. If I were looking for quiet I'd bet on Wakely Pond.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
Buckladd

And, there's always that lean-to on the Cedar River not too far away. I've paddled to it a few times and have yet to find it occupied.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #9
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
There's an official (ADA accessible) and unofficial campsite at Wakely Pond about a mile further north. Just after the trail turns off the road.

I'm thinking that this campsite is just for the use of the disabled, but could be wrong. There are no signs prohibiting use by others.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
Bark Eater Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
I'm thinking that this campsite is just for the use of the disabled, but could be wrong. There are no signs prohibiting use by others.
I believe the newer campsite is under the first come, first serve system just like the sites at the dam and the MRP. It was developed when they re-routed the trail off the road several years ago. I've never seen it occupied.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote