Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #41
FlyFishingandBeer
Hikes for Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
do they run true to size, or would you order up or down?
They fit true to size, for me at least. A nearly identical fit to the Asolo TPS 520, if you're familiar with those.
FlyFishingandBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #42
Hard Scrabble

The Northville/Lake Placid trail is a long walk.
Go yourself a favor and buy a pair of good leather boots. Expensive.
Put them on, break them in, you're in for a lot of hours in them.
Use any of the available leather treatments to make them as waterproof as they can be, as well as to preserve the leather.
You will have wet feet, expect it. It's a long haul.
Bring multiple, good quality wool socks.
Start the day with dry socks.
The plastic based boots are fine for day hikes, but they can't compare to a good leather boot.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:14 AM   #43
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
I think _ANY_ Adirondacks hike needs waterproof shoes. Unless you're blessed with feet that can survive in lightweight trailrunners, where the water evaporates right out. Somewhere like Joshua Tree? not so much.
Nah I haven't found a hike yet were I really needed shoes at all! Little stream crossing are simply wonderful barefoot - the best thing ever is running right into that cool mountain water barefoot... I so look forward to getting the feet in the water, just like a kid again. Often times just 30 seconds almost numbs the foot and cools the body (talking warm weather hiking here). 5 minutes later they are completely dry. In the mud and such they do get pretty dirty though! Less weight, don't even pack any socks, and save a boatload of cash over the years. No stressing over decisions and shopping either thank god. Last hiking boots I bought well over a decade ago. I too had PF (before my barefoot transition). Hasn't come back since and my feet are so much tougher and stronger now I don't rely on shoes and boots to coddle them.

I haven't done any of the NPT myself - can't wait to try it though. Likely won't happen for many years, just not enough time. But I am guessing here it isn't more rugged than the high peaks.

39/46 get'n closer
19/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #44
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

"Unless you're blessed with feet that can survive in lightweight trailrunners".

Thats great for you - but the average person, especially one with a footwear question, is going to need boots.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #45
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

For those of you who wear gaiters, do you blister more due to the increased moisture retention inside the gaiter? I've found that I need the sock and boot to wick moisture out of the boot.

Last edited by All Downhill From Here; 04-03-2016 at 09:30 PM..
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #46
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I find gaiters to mitigate blisters due to them stopping other debris from getting in my shoes. Also, remiving socks and shoes and letting the feet enjoy the fresh air as much as possible. Ymmv

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #47
12trysomething

NPT Footwear help?????

Regardless of what you actually put on your feet, this may help you take care of them.

http://www.backpackingadventures.net...transportation

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #48
chrs

Everyone's feet are so different I think you just have to try different things and see what works for you. I can only speak to what worked for me. I wore non waterproof trail runners. They dry fast and actually breath. I did get them wet a few times but was able to hike them dry or set them out to dry overnight. The amount of weight you carry over the long miles of boots just wears me out. As for ankle support I'm under the impression that boots offer minimum ankle support unless your ankle is immobilised like in a ski boot. If your a fit person your ankles shouldn't be so weak that they roll on a dime. I do own a pair of boots and they are very comfortable just not as comfortable as sneakers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
chrs is offline   Reply With Quote