Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
pigpen

Verizon cell service/ let your mom know you're ok, she worries about you...

So i thru-hiked last week north to south and had an absolute blast! What an ideal time of year to do the trail! Anyway, i brought along my phone to check in at home with family and friends and was really surprised at how often i was able to text an update. I only turned my phone in an attempt to text if i either had an instinct that it may be an area for signal or if i was at my destination for the night, so i'm sure there are plenty of spots along the way that i just wouldn't have found. A lot of these locations really surprised me, here they are:

North to South-

Moose pond lean-to
Duck hole
Shattuck clearing
Plumley lean-to LL
Rt. 28 road crossing
O'neill lean-to Tirrell Pond (shoreline)
Stephen's Pond lean-to
Beaver Pond lean-to Cedar lake (on shoreline)
Blue ribbon ( between beaver pond and #3 lean-to Cedar- i heard hobo
put this up)
Fall Stream crossing (made call- clear as a bell)

Piseco-Northville was zero signal

Just a heads-up. Of course don't depend on these, but maybe if you are on the trail give them a shot and maybe you'll have as good of luck as i had!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

Haha - this is funny, but sad.

I recall an individual I was with checking facebook from an area I would have never thought there would have been service. It's growing. This was ATT though.

I often throw my phone in my bag in case of an emergency. 10 years ago I never would have thought of such a thing. Sad part is I feel kind of anxious if I don't throw it in, even though I expect it not to work in most cases and have never used it or even looked at it to date.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
pigpen

EDIT: To clarify, fall stream crossing on trail 4.4 miles north of piseco. Not the fall stream crossing on road walk, yet rt. 8 at end of road walk is very good signal.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
pigpen

Is what it is i guess. I suppose when french louie was near death of pneumonia he may have texted jonny leaf if he could and said " fell in frozen lake lol, got a spare blanket bro?" But yeah i agree the technology is definitely a privilege and not a right. Thought it would be useful to someone down the line...
Old 09-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
Hard Scrabble

We come to the mountains to escape the modern world.
Seriously, why do we insist on bringing it with us?
Isn't the solitude enough, isn't that what we came for?
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
pigpen

The intent of this was for people going solo like myself who may want to check in with family/friends. I went for solitude and found it. It was the most peace i have experienced in years and years.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #7
jaymann

Some folks may not be able to get away for multiple days at a time due to the need to remain in contact with others. Knowing they have possible check in points may allow them to enjoy the trial. I don't feel like my solitude is ruined because I check my phone a few times a day while hiking. I suppose if I was chatting away all day it would, but I just text home once a day if possible.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

I was going to post this on an older cell phone reception thread, but it may get more views here, this one being more current, so...

I was in Blue Mountain Lake recently and happened upon a service technician doing some work at the little Verizon tower they have behind the fire hall. He detailed to me that Verizon is currently building out a 4G site on the existing tower on top of Blue Mountain.

The tower currently hosts, among other things, AT&T cell phone service, but this service is about as far from state of the art technology as one can get. Verizon will blow AT&T out of the water here.

They have a ways to go; they are almost finished re-building the service road to the top of Blue from Rtes. 28N/30, and at the same time they are air-lifting their equipment to the mountaintop.

I'm told they hope to have service activated by the time snow flies, but you know how those things go.

At any rate, when completed and turned on, you will have 4G service emanating from a 193' tall tower on top of a 3750' mountain. I don't know if/how the forest canopy and geography will attenuate the signal, but one would think that it will greatly improve over current coverage.

They are also going to convert the Long Lake tower on Mt. Sabattis to 4G.

I know there are many who decry having and using cell phones in the wild, but for those who do this has to be good news for anyone venturing in to explore some of the newly opened Finch lands in the area, or just traveling the highway corridor.

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:48 AM   #9
wiiawiwb

To each their own and if a smartphone is used for safety reasons, that's fine. It would drive me wild if I was in a lean-to and someone was constantly texting nonsense on their phone.

People having to use their smartphones is no less an addiction than bringing along bottles of vodka for the trip. You "just gotta check in" just like you "just gotta have a nip". Both take the edge off.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #10
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I am fortunate that I am not so important in this world that being out of contact with civilization for a while is ok. My wife has my itinerary and knows I am safe and enjoying myself. It usually takes me about 24 hours before I stop thinking about email, or the internet, etc... In 2 or 3 days, I have excised the mental connection. I am truly unplugged from the borg at this point. After returning from week+ trips ofbeing unplugged it never ceases to amaze me how little I really missed. A couple voicemails perhaps, but nothing pressing. Pages of emails, mostly spam and nothing that couldnt wait a week for a reply. I know for some, this is an impossibility. Either due to family or work. Most however I think are like me, and really could unplug but find it very difficult. All I can say is to try it. You might find, like me, how free it feels to be unplugged from society and reconnect with the real world.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

Good post DT.

It takes me less than 24 hrs to forget though. I've trained myself to not get very attached to connectivity, even though in daily life I'm pretty entrenched with it.

I suppose it is realizing that you aren't very important. Realizing that a few short years ago all this stuff was science fiction. We've certainly, as a society, drank the Kool-Aide. I watch and read a lot of documentaries about the other side. About the real price we are paying for this, and sometimes it really gets to me. I won't go into it here, but it's easy enough to find. Look for yourself, you might not feel so good about that new phone you want.

Being connecting with others and feeling important is great and all, but at some point it becomes a crutch, or a tether perhaps. Sometimes you need to cut it.

I'll also say the electronic communication is poor substitute for real human interaction. It's a cliche of society today, but it really is true. I'd rather spend 5 mins of quality time with someone than a lifetime of electronic communication.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #12
Wldrns

Just returned home today from two days at Duck Hole, passing by Moose Pond leanto. Funny, never felt any need to text back home or anywhere else. Didn't even carry a phone.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #13
Fly Rodder

I use my iphone as a GPS (GaiaGPS) and camera. It saves weight and keeps me from having to pack two things that I could lose or break. I usually keep it on airplane mode to keep it from searching for a signal and save battery since where I typically hunt there is zero signal to be had. Fortunately, now you can use the GPS and keep it in airplane mode.

A few years ago, I was hunting in the backwoods and crested a pretty tall ridge. I sat there and had lunch. I apparently forgot that I left phone in non-airplane mode and suddenly it started pinging and ponging and announcing an influx of emails and text messages. I turned it right off. I don't bring my iphone for service, but for the other tools (Starwalk is a great app when you have a crystal clear nightsky in the light pollution free ADKs).
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
kwc
loser

Please remember that these cell towers & accompanying cell service are not installed for the convenience of hikers in the Adirondacks.

People actually live and work in the Adirondacks. I'm sure many of them would like to be able to use cell phones just like you do when you're at home, at work, etc. Imagine that ...

So you don't use/carry a cell phone when hiking in the Adirondacks .. hooray for you. I guess I can give you the pat on the back & tip of my hat if that's what you're looking for.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #15
TCD

+++

What kwc said.

There was a letter to ADK magazine a couple years ago from a guy from California. He was advocating tearing out all the cell and wifi service in the ADK area, because when he visited, he wanted to imagine he was in a primitive wilderness. He didn't care about anybody else; he wanted to cut off everyone's service just because he was not smart enough to find the "off" button on his own devices. I've been surprised to find there's lots of folks that think that way...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #16
Neil
Kayak-46

I don't have a cell phone.

What I'm really waiting for is the Gopro selfie stick that I'm sure Amazon will be selling soon. You'll attach it to your sternum and film yourself as you hike (bike or paddle) and the video will be streamed in real time to the web platform of your choice. (not recommended for bushwhacks).

(I do own all sorts of other gizmos: wrist altimeter, Spot device, digital camera, GPS, heart rate monitor. I even have a compass.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
We come to the mountains to escape the modern world.
Speaking for myself: I don't come to the mountains to escape anything. In fact, I like the modern world and all that is has to offer. Well, maybe not all.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #17
Teleskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't have a cell phone.

What I'm really waiting for is the Gopro selfie stick that I'm sure Amazon will be selling soon. You'll attach it to your sternum and film yourself as you hike (bike or paddle) and the video will be streamed in real time to the web platform of your choice. (not recommended for bushwhacks).
Oh, but if anything should be streamed in real time, it's your bushwhacks. So the rest of us can watch and say "thank God I'm not doing THAT!"
Teleskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #18
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc View Post
Please remember that these cell towers & accompanying cell service are not installed for the convenience of hikers in the Adirondacks.

People actually live and work in the Adirondacks. I'm sure many of them would like to be able to use cell phones just like you do when you're at home, at work, etc. Imagine that ...

So you don't use/carry a cell phone when hiking in the Adirondacks .. hooray for you. I guess I can give you the pat on the back & tip of my hat if that's what you're looking for.
Thank you. I was beginning to feel a little troll-ish for having dared to post this on a hiking thread.
Perhaps I should have bumped that 2 year old cell thread and posted there.

I don't want to make enemies. I hardly ever post here.

Mods, why don't you move my o/p to a more appropriate area where people might better appreciate the news?

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

A love/hate relationship with Sprint....
No service beyond Warrensburg, Gloversville, Northville, Barneveld, or Boonville
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #20
pigpen

Of course this would turn in to a debate on whether or not cell phones are appropriate in the wilderness! I think we all go into the woods for solitude otherwise we probably wouldn't be on this forum. I myself don't really have a problem with people glued to their phones primarily because I've never really encountered it to be honest. I associate with people who share the same appreciation of the woods that i do, so my hiking pals are worried about if they remembered to put new line on their reels and not their score on angry birds. If i do come across someone who is looking at facebook instead of all 360 degrees of beauty around them i personally don't care. You can argue that they don't appreciate being where they are blah blah whatever. Do you really care? They are not you so go about your business. The point of this thread was to inform people who plan to give quick updates along the trail. If we really want to dig into it we can talk about how wrong it is to use an internal combustion engine to drive to the trail-head rather than a proper horse or pack mule.