Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Buckshot

avalanche pass

Condition from the S. Meadow Road to the Truck Rd. to Marcy Dam were great. Great cover no rocks. The mile after Marcy Dam to where the ski trail and hiking trail split had thin cover at spots. Skiable, but watch out for rocks. The ski trail up to Avalanche pass has great cover.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
DLHiker

thanks for this report. i am thinking of heading in there later this week. Anyone know the ski condition of the trail from the ADK Loj trailhead to Marcy Dam?
DLHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Thought about the same trip today but went in to St Regis Pond fish Dam instead. May go do the Avalanche Pass route Tues or Wed. Sound like the weather will be good.
When I can't paddle on liquid water, I enjoy skiing on the solid version. Paddling always seems to come naturally, but each year it takes me a few days on the snow to get my ski legs back under me, and I'm always working on the balance etc.

John M. A Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLHiker View Post
thanks for this report. i am thinking of heading in there later this week. Anyone know the ski condition of the trail from the ADK Loj trailhead to Marcy Dam?
Every time I have snowshoed the trail I say to myself, self, you don't want to ski on this trail it looks like it would suck on skis given the boiler plate status
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Bob K

Slight alternative to Hiking trail HPIC to Marcy Dam

Indeed the standard hiking trail is often heavily traveled, slick and not a fun ski. There is an alternative for a portion of it on the "old" hiking trail that is a far better ski for the first 3/4 mile if you want to leave from the HPIC/Loj area. I would not recommend it unless you are pretty good at avoiding rocks and quick turns.

It starts closer to the lake by the leantos. There is one steep hill where this connects to the main trail. If you walk that short portion, this is a far better route at most times. This does save some time vs. the now much longer (though far easier) ski along S Meadow rd plus the truck trail.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote