Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
mpn702

Suggestions for Next Paddling Trip

Howdy --

Just got back from a great trip to the Bog River/Low's Lake where my father and I stayed at #12, marking our 10th Adirondack trip paddling together. Wondering where we should head next, and thought about this forum as a place for suggestions.

To date, we've explored the following areas:

- Middle Saranac
- Follensby Clear
- Long/Turtle/Slang
- Long Lake -- > Raquette River --> Crusher
- Little Tupper/Rock Pond
- Oswegotchie to High Falls
- Blue Mountain Lake/Eagle/Utowana
- Round Lake
- Lake Lila
- Bog River Flow/Low's

In addition, I've explored the following areas with friends or my fiance:

- Floodwood Pond/Little Square Pond/Fish Creek
- Upper Saranac
- Lower Saranac
- Essex Chain of Lakes
- Hoel Pond
- Little Clear Pond --> St. Regis Pond

Open to you suggestions as to where to head next! Some options that come to mind are Dead Creek Flow on the Cranberry Lake (is there a lot of motor boat traffic?), a return visit to Low's to explore Grass Pond, Cedar River Flow, Indian Lake, or Henderson Lake? Or should we look further north to Canada -- Algonquin, Killarney, French River, etc.

Couple of considerations:

- We tend to kayak instead of canoe.
- My father is getting a bit up there in age and isn't the most receptive to longer carries. Even the carry to Lila resulted in more grumbling than I expected.
- We usually keep the trips to two nights/three days.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
mpn702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Wldrns

Stillwater Reservoir.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/34382.html

Lots of designated campsites, many with sand beach access. Easy access by trail or bushwhack to the Five Ponds and Pepperbox Wilderness areas. Maybe a few motor boats, but not usually much of a problem.

You have to choose your designated campsite before paddling out, by moving a number from unoccupied to occupied (check the map beforehand). No advance reservations. Primitive camping is allowed >150' from water's edge. The major length is orientated east/west so sometimes the wind can kick up, but most times can usually be handled by experienced paddlers, probably less of a concern in a kayak.

For any question, contact the local DEC ranger:
Matthew Savarie 315-679-6888
Old 08-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
webby459

I don’t have a ton of experience with a lot of these spots, but I’ve been to the Indian Lake canoe camping spots and to Cedar River Flow, and I’d go back to CRF tomorrow if I could. I’d probably skip out on Indian Lake on the other hand, the power boats aren’t egregious, but I did find it busier than for example Blue Mountain Lake. Ease of access at CRF is very good too, no carries needed for dad.

13th lake is also on my list, it’s not big but maybe it would suit you.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 AM   #4
TrailBlaser

This will probably sound crazy, but I am considering CRF as a Labor Day weekend trip (in on Friday, out on Sunday). What are your thoughts on how crowded it will be and the difficulty of getting a decent campsite (for hammock camping). Thanks.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
Lucky13

My wife ands I camped in the MRP on Labor Day weekend once, a long time ago, when the road still went all the way to (little) Indian Lake. It had rained the Friday night when we intended to leave, so we stayed home and left early Saturday. After the three plus hour drive, and a short stop for " extras" in Eagle Bay, we got to the plains gate about 11 AM. There was a handmade sign at the Rock Dam road indicating all sites taken, we then drove the Limekiln Cedar River Road all the way to the T without finding an open campsite. We continued on the Otter Brook/Indian Lake Road all the way to Indian Lake, passing only two poor sites that were unoccupied. After a difficult time turning around due to the number of vehicles at the Indian Lake Barrier, we returned to the open sites, one of which had been taken, and then took the other, which based on the height of the vegetation, had not been used much that year (but it did have a reasonable privy.) The rest of the early afternoon was a parade of cars in and then cars out. The ranger went by around 3 and said they had closed the gates due to the area reaching capacity. We have never returned on a holiday weekend. If the crowds I saw on a Saturday in August this year at trailheads that are usually one or two cars, like Bubb Lake near Eagle Bay, I would try to get there Thursday if I wanted a site anywhere around the Plains, folks are just loving the Adirondacks to pieces.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
webby459

Lucky, I don’t know, but I think there’s a chance that the crowds in MRP may not be indicative of the conditions in the CRF. When I went with the kids a couple weeks ago, granted it wasn’t a holiday weekend but it was Saturday morning, lots of the drive in spots by the dam and flow were taken, there were lots of free paddle in spots open out in the flow.

If jblaser goes with a pack craft and has time and the ability to be flexible, I think he may be ok, especially getting out there maybe on the early side on Friday. The flexibility comes in where he could even go out toward the Carry lean to and camp there or even beyond if he wants to walk with the boat a bit on the npt.

I’d bet he can find a site on the flow though.

Edit add: I understand that finding the inlet to the flow from the river on the south end can be tricky with lots of false leads, but Gaia gps has it very clearly marked.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
TrailBlaser

Thanks for the input Lucky and Webby459. I'd really like to get out in the woods one more time before the mayhem of the new school year starts. My thought is to get the canoe in the water early Friday morning. I know from experience that places like Lows, Lila and SRCA will be crowded. I haven't tried CRF on a holiday weekend. Of course, I could opt to put on backpack instead and try to find a trail that gets little use.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Lucky13

Well, my experience in the MRP has been that I can ALWAYS get a site, unless it is a holiday weekend. And any time I have driven through to (Big) Indian Lake from the Limekiln gate, the CRF gate area has been crowded. I wouldn't worry, except that it is Labor Day weekend, last hurrah for a lot of folks. Myself, if I can get the plumbing in my house fixed, I'll be driving into the Plains on the day after Labor day for the permit free three nights, and based on the pix I've seen on here, I'd be heading for CRF, except the spot I usually go (and my wife approves of as there are few "dangers") offers better fishing, at least based on experience and reports. But if he gets in early Friday, it may not be a problem a lot of workplaces will not pay for the Monday Holiday if you take off early the week before, so the ' crunch" probably comes Friday night early Saturday.

As an alternative, if it appears that all sites are taken, Beaver Lake is a 2 mile level haul with a cart, Mitchell Ponds a little longer, and some of the other ponds in the Plains are shorter. If you can carry the boat, Squaw Lake is about 3/4 mile, at the end of the road, and as it is a long drive in, not usually crowded. Reports are that the road can be driven with city cars, too!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #9
TrailBlaser

Thanks again Lucky13, especially for the alternatives just in case. I guess I'll make the decision on the CRF once I arrive at the put-in.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #10
Sinite

Raquette River. Nice. Drive up put in at Corey's. Can get pretty filed up on weekends though.
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #11
MaximusFunk24

Stony Creek to Axton Landing is one of my favorite routes, especially during fall.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote