Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
PaulK

Scrambles amongst the Arietta cliffs

Snow is good right now from Arietta to Indian Lake. There is 5" of soft snow over a crispy base of a few more inches.

I toured the Arietta cliffs Sunday. I took the Chub Lake trail on Route 10 in to Chub Lake Mountain and first went up to The Annex cliff, traversed the base of that, and then climbed the gully to the much bigger Lost T cliff, topping 80'. None of this is difficult bushwhacking, as the understory is wide open under mostly hemlocks and spruce. Also, the unmarked footpaths to the cliffs are not difficult to follow. I circled Chub Lake Mountain and then went up for the view from Lost T cliff where there's climber's protection around some trees.

Then I hiked into the stream valley toward Sherman Mountain, crossed over and found the unmarked footpath junction for McMartin/Lost Hunter cliffs, which are the lower and upper cliffs on Sherman Mtn respectively. I hiked up the valley of McMartin, and it was only here that intermittent pink flagging tape disappeared and I was on my own. I admired the cliff from the saddle there, stopped for water and ate some of my wife's black bean brownies. So they taste good when you're hiking in the mountains. I didn't climb the cliffs. Back home by dinner time.

Is there anyone on here from the Arietta Climbing Team? I've been hiking in the area since 2000. It would be nice to meet some of you guys

Last edited by PaulK; 02-02-2016 at 10:01 AM..
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
PaulK

Who's wandering in the mountains of the town of Arietta?

I don't see many young explorers in these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK View Post
Snow is good right now from Arietta to Indian Lake. There is 5" of soft snow over a crispy base of a few more inches.

I toured the Arietta cliffs Sunday. I took the Chub Lake trail on Route 10 in to Chub Lake Mountain and first went up to The Annex cliff, traversed the base of that, and then climbed the gully to the much bigger Lost T cliff, topping 80'. None of this is difficult bushwhacking, as the understory is wide open under mostly hemlocks and spruce. Also, the unmarked footpaths to the cliffs are not difficult to follow. I circled Chub Lake Mountain and then went up for the view from Lost T cliff where there's climber's protection around some trees.

Then I hiked into the stream valley toward Sherman Mountain, crossed over and found the unmarked footpath junction for McMartin/Lost Hunter cliffs, which are the lower and upper cliffs on Sherman Mtn respectively. I hiked up the valley of McMartin, and it was only here that intermittent pink flagging tape disappeared and I was on my own. I admired the cliff from the saddle there, stopped for water and ate some of my wife's black bean brownies. So they taste good when you're hiking in the mountains. I didn't climb the cliffs. Back home by dinner time.

Is there anyone on here from the Arietta Climbing Team? I've been hiking in the area since 2000. It would be nice to meet some of you guys
Old 01-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK View Post
I don't see many young explorers in these parts.
https://youtu.be/atqWPerNPPM
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

I like that vid. Audio is good too.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
PaulK

You make me proud! We "love this ****" hahaha!

So much to do and see along Rt 10, not to mention the deeper wilderness recesses near there. I made a failed attempt today to see the Otter Lake Cliff on Pine Mountain. I'll be back. Look up southernadirondackclimber.blogspot for a few more hidden outcrops in the area. Always more to discover! Hope to hike with you soon, Justin!
Old 01-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
TCD

Great stuff, guys. I love the scrambles around cliffs. Arietta is sort of "out of my zone" being from Keene, and there are guys already working down there (Gary, Justin S. and crew) to identify great recreational resources. But it's great to see people out playing on those cliffs. I enjoy the same game up here!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote