Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #21
mossarden

Very nice...thanks for the photos and link
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 PM   #22
peskypup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossarden View Post
peskypup....I was told by an affiliate of the LGLC that there was land purchase planned for the back side of this preserve, linking it to another LGLC property on Padanarum Road. If that's the case then perhaps parking area and trail head options are still in the works...?
An update on this: This land purchase should close any day now. It's comprised of 115 acres and has been named the Isabel La Roche Godwin Preserve by the seller. A .6 mile trail running through the property connecting LGLC's Amy's Park Preserve on Padanarum Road and Pole Hill Pond Preserve is expected to be available by mid-summer.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #23
mossarden

Thanks Peskypup...I did hear something of this acquisition recently...It includes the wetland where the Carnegie radio telescope stood....(I used to work there). I remember it was a haven for bird life...and I am very pleased the LGLC chose to purchase it... look forward to revisiting the site as a preserve....as we never did make contact with any extra terrestrials anyway...and black hole discovery is no longer as sexy as it used to be ...
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #24
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Nice pup - looks like a carbon copy of my Sadie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4935b.jpg (67.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 09-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #25
Rivet
Likes to hike

State mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Another very worthwhile destination in that area is State Mountain:

Its south side is covered in cliffs with nice views. I explored that area a couple years ago with an interest in climbing. Cliffs don't quite add up to be worthwhile to climbers, but they are very scenic. There's a good marked trail to State Mountain from the east. Across from the Clay Meadows parking, cross NW Bay Brook and scout around, and you'll pick up this trail (signs and markers are in place).
I went out today to find this new trail, but came up empty. State mountain did have nice views though - maybe even better than Walnut ridge and Middle mtn.

some pictures
Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #26
skillzman1

Does anybody know if the trail in from, Padanarum Rd. is opened yet?
I'd like to see the pond and would hate to walk the long route if it was unnecessary.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #27
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
I'd like to see the pond and would hate to walk the long route if it was unnecessary.
It wasn't open as of mid-June.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #28
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
I went out today to find this new trail, but came up empty. State mountain did have nice views though - maybe even better than Walnut ridge and Middle mtn.

some pictures
Nice pics! I was a little surprised that you did not run into that trail. But looking at your track log that you posted with the pics, I think the trail is almost perfectly in between the routes you took in and out.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #29
peskypup

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
It is, though I haven't seen a formal announcement yet. We were over that way last weekend with the intention of doing a quick hike around Amy's Park just to stretch our legs, but saw the trailhead sign for Godwin Preserve on the right side of the road before we got to Amy's and decided to check it out. There's a small parking area cleared and a trail register in place with preserve brochures. There are two trails, one goes to a view point looking west towards High Nopit and the other connects to Pole Hill Pond Preserve. We were short on time and were prepped more for a "walk" than a "hike", so opted for the shorter trail to the viewpoint. The trail follows and old woods road most of the way, then diverts, I assume around private land, before rejoining the road to climb the hill towards the viewpoint. Where it rejoins the road another trail goes off towards Pole Hill Pond Preserve. I left the preserve brochure at camp, but from memory, I think it was .6 miles to the junction, then either .3 miles to the view point or .5 miles to the preserve boundary with Pole Hill Pond Preserve. The brochure didn't say explicitly, but from the map in the brochure, it looks like Pole Hill Pond is pretty close to the preserve boundary.

Like I said, we opted for the viewpoint. It's nothing spectacular, probably not a worthwhile destination on it's own, but worthy of a quick diversion if you're heading in towards Pole Hill Pond anyway. A few photos are included below.

The preserve brochure showed a proposed trail that will do a loop around the preserve -- I'm suspect it may follow the woods road at least part of the way, as it continued up the hill after the trail veered off to the view point.

We're hoping to head back and take the trail in to Pole Hill Pond and up Walnut Ridge in the next week or two.

Last edited by peskypup; 09-06-2016 at 12:44 AM..
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #30
skillzman1

Excellent! Thanks for the updates, I may head that way this weekend if I can get out.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #31
Rivet
Likes to hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Nice pics! I was a little surprised that you did not run into that trail. But looking at your track log that you posted with the pics, I think the trail is almost perfectly in between the routes you took in and out.
It figures
I only saw a short herd path near the summit and some really old cloth flagging in a couple spots

Tags
lake george wild forest, pole hill pond