Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
rachelsdad

Last thing I needed

I'm sure I am not alone owning more than 1 tent...(6)...

I was at the local flea market yesterday morning and one of the last booths had army surplus type gear.

So what do I find? A first series REI Quarter Dome UL. Circa 2004+/-

Looked it over as well as I could in a cold barn so I asked how much..$15...

Took it home, as soon as the wife left the house I took it in and set it up. Mint condition

I had owned a half Dome around the same period, nice tent, this is perfect size for a very large solo at 3' 11 oz.

What an amazing little tent, nothing earth shattering by todays standards but I forgot how much i liked a 2 door 2 vestibule tent. I was a bit put off by the pole sleeves as I have always preferred clips but these worked just fine.

oh...and it had 2 Tikkas inside the tent pockets.

So...if anyone needs to borrow a tent!!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
Wldrns

i have a REI half-dome from the 1970's. Heavy orange fiberglass poles. Plenty of solo wilderness miles on that tent, but when the fabric began to leak rather badly it became the first of a long line of replacement and trial tents
Old 01-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #3
rachelsdad

"I have...."

Do you still own it??

I find it hard to throw away gear w/a lot of memories/miles on them.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsdad View Post
"I have...."

Do you still own it??

I find it hard to throw away gear w/a lot of memories/miles on them.
Yup, much to the contempt from my wife, I still have virtually bit of gear I started with 40+ years ago.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

You can never own too many tents, or own too much camping gear IMHO!
I personally own 6 different tents, all get used at various times throughout the year, amongst other different forms of camping gear. That's kind of like saying... a fisherman with too much fishing gear...impossible!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
RichieC

I have NorthFace VE24 that i used nearly every weekend in summer and a significant number of days in the other 3 seasons for well over 10 years. I let my little brother borrow it for a winter camping trip he and a bunch of friends were going on- nothing major. I asked him from college a hundred times if he hung it out to dry... that he had better have, that it was the first thing i would do was check it when I got home. . When I came home a month later i found it FRESHLY hung up, and spotted everywhere with mildew in the fabric.. no wonder after spending a month in a warm and moist bag. I was understanding, and didn't get mad, never raised my voice, I never called him any of the things my neighbors could hear a half mile away. The spit from yelling that hit my brothers face wasn't mine.. honest. Was satan.... Apparently mine was the warmest tent, so a bunch of them got in it, and someone spilled a beer.... If he had left it outside and frozen then hung it to dry it would have been fine. IF he hung it as soon as he got home,.. it would have been fine. If he cleaned it well and hung it as he promised he would..... I'd still have it to use. I can't afford to replace it now- VE 25's ( replaced the VE24) go for $600- $700 and are heavier then I want.

As you all know, but just in case someone doesn't, mildew grows in the fibers of the fabric and pushes the coating off, leaving it porous. And makes your tent look permanently diseased with small pox. I tried re-coating it- that stuff has the faint but pervasive smell of throw-up. No lie- i couldn't quite place the smell till a friend said - in his broken Argentinian accent : "Your tent, it smells of vomit" ... I realized "oh my god.. you're right!" He couldn't comprehend my "glee" at the epiphany.

Coating stuff was a poor product, they must have improved it by now, if not-- don't bother. It too stuck to itself, which means all is good as long as the tent is up- but don't pack it. I tried baby powder, silicone spray... nothing prevented it from sticking to itself and the coating tearing off the fabric in sheets, leaving ragged "holes" of uncoated patches... Letting water come into a grand, wonderful, bullet, wind & waterproof, A-#1, expedition expensive tent- that now added stink to its demise.

I still have it- i don't have the heart to throw it away. Nothing has been its equal and I have 1000 fond memories, and perhaps a kid or two from it.. who knows, maybe more...

I have another NorthFace tent being repaired or replaced at the moment, the spar clip attachments on inside of fly were glued patches of fabric and not stitched. The glue simply peeled off like a post-it note... I had a "oh no, not again!" moment. This latest tent was a replacement they sent me for free for another NF-Merlin33, which I loved... its waterproof coating was from polyurethane ... which apparently after a period of time, can become "un-zipped" molecularly, and then becomes sticky to itself- exactly like the crap i tried to re-coat my diseased looking but fabric sound VE-24... Makes an ugly mess that leaked poorly thorough the bare areas- i loved that tent too while it was healthy for 3-4 years or so, but alas- it caught leprosy and they wanted it back to trade for the newest one.

I can't complain too much- I got the Merline33 off of E-bay- brand new with tags on it, at half price. I used it for 4 years, sent it back in, got a new tent out of the deal as an even trade with NorthFace for at tent that cost more than $100 more than the Merlin did at full price and $300 more than what I actually paid. So for $160 I have 2 new tents, and the one being worked on will be back at 100% for no additional cost... was just the glue of those patches that failed. Or ..... perhaps they'll let me trade up again! LOL

I am still loyal to NorthFace-they stand behind their stuff, and have been more than fair to me... and while it works, it works great... what more can you ask for? Frankly- been pitching my hammock most often- first made sure they would take back the polyurethane coated fly if it ever failed... I am gun-shy of that stuff now.

But sometimes you need a good silicone coated tent.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Jackson

@Richie C, your story is something I can relate to. You loan something to someone and IF you get it back, it comes back broken or damaged... all too familiar with that. I have unfortunately had to cut off friends who are guilty of the above. I am suddenly the bad guy but I tell them that a meek "I'm sorry" doesn't walk the dog.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

After I finally had 1 of everything, I still found myself buying more and more gear. Partly so that I have appropriate gear for different seasons (lightweight stuff for summer, warm stuff for winter), partly so that I have gear for personal use vs. work (lightweight stuff for personal use, durable but heavier stuff for work), partly so that I have stuff to loan to friends (it makes it easier to convince them to join me; I generally don't loan stuff for use on trips that I'm not also partaking in to avoid issues with lost/damaged gear), and partly because I'm a gear junky.

To date, I've purchased or obtained:

4 day packs (1 has been retired)
7 overnight packs (2 have been retired)
6 sleeping bags (3 synthetic, 3 down)
4 sleeping bag liners
7 sleeping pads (1 retired, 1 given away)
3 tents (2 2 person, 1 1 person) (also 9 tents that I've found abandoned and carried out of the woods and either given away or put in the trash depending on their condition)
2 bivy sacks
5 stoves (2 white gas, 1 canister, 2 alcohol)
2 mess kits
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote