Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2017, 05:39 AM   #1
Buckladd

2016 Bear Harvest Stats

DEC has released them a little earlier than usual.
http://adkhunter.com/2017/02/dec-ann...rvest-results/
Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Bounder45

It's interesting how the harvest #'s have really exploded in the Southern Zone while staying relatively the same in the Northern Zone. I guess that's corresponds with the expanding bear population in the Allegheny and Catskills regions.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Hard Scrabble

I just read an article about the Pennsylvania bear harvest.
Some of the animals exceeded 700 pounds.
Any idea why those bears are so much heavier than NY State animals??
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
I just read an article about the Pennsylvania bear harvest.
Some of the animals exceeded 700 pounds.
Any idea why those bears are so much heavier than NY State animals??
Jim
Slightly warmer weather and (this is the big one) a bountiful food supply. Here in the Pocono region there are a gazzilion acorns among other things to feed on. We regularly get 500-700 pounders every year here.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
It's interesting how the harvest #'s have really exploded in the Southern Zone while staying relatively the same in the Northern Zone. I guess that's corresponds with the expanding bear population in the Allegheny and Catskills regions.
Agreed, that's why they continue to expand the bear hunting season in NY.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
EagleEd

Also Papa John's Pizza delivers to the dens during the Winter in PA.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
skillzman1

I have still yet to see one during hunting season. Would love to harvest the meat for the freezer. I have been told of hunters shooting them and leaving them in the woods due to the lack of desire to drag them out, don't like the meat, etc,..
Hopefully one day I will gain the experience and harvest one....and likely never want to do it again...lol
Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
Buckladd

There aren't many where I hunt around Lake George but we did get one there about five years ago and it was pretty good meat. We had some ground up and also steaks cooked pot roast style. I'm pretty selective and let a sow with three cubs pass by up near Cranberry Lake a few seasons ago.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #9
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
There aren't many where I hunt around Lake George but we did get one there about five years ago and it was pretty good meat. We had some ground up and also steaks cooked pot roast style. I'm pretty selective and let a sow with three cubs pass by up near Cranberry Lake a few seasons ago.
Bear meat is excellent IMHO. It would have to be right at the top of my list as far as any big game animal I've ever had. Definitely prefer it over venison.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
St.Regis

Not a bear hunter here, but I've had it several times. Some was very good and some was horrible. I truly believe that if the animal is quickly and properly processed, the meat will be good. Conversely, if it takes two days to drag a bruin out of the woods, parade it around to different bars for the next three days, let it hang for longer than it should, or if all the fat isn't removed, it's going to be bad. I'd never kill one way back in. I don't care if it's a really big one or a smaller-sized bear - the logistics of getting it out and processed quickly are next to impossible.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
Fly Rodder

There's no reason to drag a bear out of the woods. Cut it up and pack it out. I understand the desire to have a weight, but there's a reason bears are scored by the size of the skulls and the square of the hide.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
Bounder45

Bear meat shouldn't be aged as long as other game meat. That and it's taste will depend greatly on what the bear has been eating. Harvesting a bear that has been preying on fish (dead and alive) is going to taste, well fishy. A bear that has been preying on berries, nuts, and various game animals well normally taste a lot better. In fact, I've heard some well known hunting writers (Steve Rinella) mention it as one of their most favorite game meats (if prepared right).

And I agree with Fly Rodder. Unless you happen to be close by to a road or you have a lot of helping hands, dragging out a bear is not feasible. You've got to carve it up and pack it out...the logistics of that are by no means impossible, they just require a bit more planning.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #13
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
A bear that has been preying on berries, nuts, and various game animals well normally taste a lot better.
Agreed. The bear we killed in Warren County was full of acorns and it was a good eating bear. I've had bad bear meat too. A friend who is in his 70s and still hunts out of a tent camp won't hesitate to take a good bear and says the key is getting the hide off and the carcass cooled down quickly. I believe they too quarter it up and as well as eat some in camp.

Good discussion going here!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:48 PM   #14
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I'm pretty selective and let a sow with three cubs pass by up near Cranberry Lake a few seasons ago.
Buckladd, this got me to thinking and rechecking the regulations as I was under the impression you could not shoot a bear that was in a group but apparently, after re-reading the regulations, you can in the northern zone.

"Resident and non-resident hunters may take one bear by gun or bow each license year. In the Southern Zone, you may not shoot a cub or a bear that should be known to be a cub, shoot any bear from a group of bears, or shoot or take a bear from its den."

So does this imply that in the northern zone you can shoot a bear from a group of bears and perhaps even/or take a cub?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #15
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post

"Resident and non-resident hunters may take one bear by gun or bow each license year. In the Southern Zone, you may not shoot a cub or a bear that should be known to be a cub, shoot any bear from a group of bears, or shoot or take a bear from its den."

So does this imply that in the northern zone you can shoot a bear from a group of bears and perhaps even/or take a cub?

I interpret that to mean that, yes, in the northern zone you could. Whether most hunters would actually do it or not is an entirely different question.

I would almost equate it to the issue of yearling bucks. While in no way technically illegal to shoot, many and probably most hunters will let them pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rodder View Post
There's no reason to drag a bear out of the woods. Cut it up and pack it out. I understand the desire to have a weight, but there's a reason bears are scored by the size of the skulls and the square of the hide.
Interestingly, and since the state was discussed earlier in this thread, in Pennsylvania you are not permitted to quarter your bear in the woods. All harvested bear need to be brought in to a check station within a limited amount of time after the kill. Then they are weighted and a tooth is pulled for aging purposes. I believe this lets the Pa Game Commission and biologists better track and study the bear population.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #16
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
Buckladd, this got me to thinking and rechecking the regulations as I was under the impression you could not shoot a bear that was in a group but apparently, after re-reading the regulations, you can in the northern zone.

I belive you are right. Plus, I just had no intention of shooting a sow that had three cubs with her. I just sat back and enjoyed the experience. It really surprised me because it was the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2011 and it had been cold up that way. I'm still not sure I even want to shoot a bear or not and will decide when the moment comes.