Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
vault415

Cascade Mountain, Avalanche Lake, and Lean-tos

I'm heading up to Placid this weekend, and I'm looking to climb Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain but I need some advice from the ADK community. I'd like to start with hiking the peaks, then head to the lean-to for the night:

--Is there a marked way to get from Cascade to Avalanche Lake?
--I'd like to stay near or on Avalanche Lake - Are there lean-tos on Avalanche Lake?
--Where should I park?
--What might the roundtrip mileage be?

Thank you very much!
vault415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
rdl

The most common Cascade/Porter trailhead is on Rt 73. Typically that hike is an up and back hike. There is a rather roundabout way to do Cascade/Porter and get to Avalanche Lake but I doubt that is a route you would consider. The most common start to Avalanche Lake is on the Adirondack Loj road either Meadows Rd and the Marcy Dam truck trail or the Marcy Dam trail that leaves from the Adirondack Loj parking lot. The Marcy Dam trail from the Loj parking lot involves a stream crossing that might not be practical depending on water levels. If you stop at the HPIC at the Loj they'll be able to provide current info on what trail to take. The trail in to Avalanche Lake is well marked.

Regarding camping at Avalanche Lake, there are no lean-to's or campsites on the lake. There is a lean-to about a mile before the lake, and I believe a campsite about .5 miles after the lake but those are the closest designated sites. There are also several lean-to's along the trail to Avalanche Lake at various distances from the trailhead and the lake. Mileage to Avalanche Lake depends on what trail you take(Meadows Rd/truck trail or Marcy Dam trail) but plan on about 5-6 miles one way.

Check the latest forecast before you head in towards Avalanche Lake and make sure you're prepared for varied conditions.

Last edited by rdl; 04-25-2012 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
snav3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vault415 View Post
I'm heading up to Placid this weekend, and I'm looking to climb Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain but I need some advice from the ADK community. I'd like to start with hiking the peaks, then head to the lean-to for the night:

--Is there a marked way to get from Cascade to Avalanche Lake?
--I'd like to stay near or on Avalanche Lake - Are there lean-tos on Avalanche Lake?
--Where should I park?
--What might the roundtrip mileage be?

Thank you very much!
There is no easy direct marked route from the Cascade/Porter area to Avalanche Lake. It could be done by a convoluted route, but probably in the neighborhood of 15 miles one way.

There are no LTs on Avalanche Lake. NE of Avalanche Lake is Avalanche Camp, which has a LT.

You might want to ask this question over at ADKhighpeaks.com
Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
vault415

Great info! Thank you!!!
vault415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
rickhart

As stated, no direct or loop route to Avalanche Lake, certainly not for a weekend. There *is* a trail from Porter down to the Johns Brook valley, and there are camping opportunities there. You might be able to hike Big Slide & even Yard on the way out or in (more distance & elevation, natch). But it would be a back & forth, not a loop. All clearer if you have the trail map.....
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avalanche, cascade, lean-to