Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
KurtVon

Cascade Slide / Canoe Paddle

Spent this past weekend up in the ADKs. We hit the new slide on Cascade. The trail starts near the parking lot between the two lakes. The waterfall was a little technical at points and to be on the safe side, we decided to cut off into the woods. You would probably need climbing gear to attempt the entire slide. The footings are somewhat loose and the area may need some time before it becomes safer to climb. Either way, you can always take the route up along the woods. Much safer in my opinion!! After getting over the initial waterfall, it opens up nicely. The slide was very impressive! It may be one of my favorites I've done. It goes on for over a mile most of the way to the summit. It's truly amazing to see the power of nature! Once you approach the top of the slide, you will need to bushwack for about 0.4 miles to the summit, which is a slight left from the slide! Views were beautiful from the top on that Friday afternoon. Saturday was a washout so we just hung around. Sunday involved a canoe paddle though West Pine, East Pine, Floodwood, Coperas, Whey, Rollins and back into West Pine. (Photos Below) enjoy!

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Hereís where things grow. But of course, without the top you canít have any sides. Itís the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com
KurtVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
shiraz627
Gary

Thanks for the trip report and the nice pics!
shiraz627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
mudrat
Resident Slide Junkie

Nice pics! Love the colors.

Phil from adirondack explorer climbed along the left-hand side. He was pensive at a few points, but took stayed on the rock for its entire run up the falls. He makes some good points about climbing it here: http://adirondackexplorer.org/out-ta...ountain-slide/ .

www.mackenziefamily.com/46/46r.html
mudrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Buckshot

nice! how long is the hike to the slide? i might head up there myself on saturday.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Judgeh

Great hike. Great photography.
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
adkh20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
nice! how long is the hike to the slide?
As short as it gets. Park at the picnic area between the lakes, cross the stream, take the short herd path through the brush to the base of the slide.
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
mudrat
Resident Slide Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
nice! how long is the hike to the slide? i might head up there myself on saturday.
You can either take the HP or follow the run-out from the edge of the lake...you'll see it just past the outlet.

www.mackenziefamily.com/46/46r.html
mudrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Rusty and the Maniac

Nice report. I really like the pics of the food and the floodwood bridge! I'm betting that slide is gonna be real popular year round.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
KurtVon

thanks for the photo comments!!

I'm sure the slide will get some good use but hopefully people are careful on the waterfall section as it can be a bit tricky!
"To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Hereís where things grow. But of course, without the top you canít have any sides. Itís the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com
KurtVon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cascade, cascade slide, floodwood, rollins