Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #61
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
I am hardly an expert in this area, but based on what I have observed at a rail car storage area in Arkansas some years ago, the cars need to be moved periodically in order to warm the wheel bearings to prevent them from seizing up. I suspect that this need is even greater in NY than in Arkansas due to the harsh weather.

So if we are not observing a small yard locomotive moving groups of cars once in a while it suggests to me that they are being abandoned rather than stored. This would support Stripperguy's earlier comment regarding an IP ransom scheme.
I dont know about the mechanics of rail cars
With the rigors they go through highly doubt bearings are so vulnerable
From pics /videos i have seen these rail cars do not look that old
Rail cars beyond use are usually alot older, and quite obvious on their age
Rail cars stored by my land were alot older than these cars and they were still being used
Terasec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #62
BillyGr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
From pics /videos i have seen these rail cars do not look that old
Rail cars beyond use are usually alot older, and quite obvious on their age
Rail cars stored by my land were alot older than these cars and they were still being used
I believe in this case (since they are the tanker type cars) it had to do with rules prohibiting the use of certain types of cars (only having one shell rather than a double one) after the couple issues with explosions and accidents.

Thus they are probably not as old as others that would be put out of service, but were due to the rules changing (and, probably figuring to keep them in case those rules changed again in the future, rather than fully disposing of them as might more likely be done with those no longer functional at all).
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote