Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

What becomes of removed firetowers?

This is a legitimate question coming from me if you have read my recent recycling rant. Does anyone have info as to what happens to the remnants of old fire towers? Specifically, I can put to good use several sets of the lower stairs that are removed from many firetowers to prevent access. DEC is in control of this, I understand. Does anyone have specific contact information to find out about disassembled fire towers? Thank you.

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I know that the DEC has several complete fire towers in storage. At one point, there were plans to erect one of them at the Five Rivers Environmental Education Center in Delmar, NY, just outside of Albany. Anyone who has been to Five Rivers knows that it is pretty flat, and the tower would've provided a vantage point for some views. Unfortunately, it was decided that items of Adirondacks historical importance weren't a priority at Five Rivers, and so the plan was never carried out.

Last edited by DSettahr; 10-31-2010 at 10:32 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
mohawk
chief

I've seen remnants of firetowers thrown on streambeds near the trail. Can't remember which mountain that was though.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
I've seen remnants of firetowers thrown on streambeds near the trail. Can't remember which mountain that was though.
This sounds like Debar Mt. I remember most (all?) of the tower strewn around.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
mohawk
chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
This sounds like Debar Mt. I remember most (all?) of the tower strewn around.
Wasn't Debar, never climbed it, I don't think. All I remember is that the stream was to my right that intersected the trail as I was going up the trail. Perhaps one of the Saranac 6 or one of the High Peaks?
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote