Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
Bob K

90 mile canoe race schedule

I happen to be staying in Blue mtn lake today thru Sat. It seems like the first day of the race will end in BML tomorrow (Fri 9/8/17). Have not been able to see start or expected finish time time of day.

Anyone know approximately what time boats will start to arrive at
Blue Mtn Lake? I'd love to see them pass by.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Buckladd

Maybe 3pm, possibly sooner, for the faster ones. I got there about 4pm when I did it in 2014 and they were still coming behind me.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

When is it over? Sunday?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
58rover

You can expect to see early boats around 2:00 and they will continue coming in for HOURS. Tomorrow they will be paddling from Long late to the crusher boat ramp on 30. Sunday is last day starting at Fish Creek ending at Saranac Lake.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
madmike

Traffic / crowd control

Organisers could work on this. Raquette Lake was a junk show.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Bob K

First boat under Raquette Lake Bridge was a PBW Rapid fire (#153) at 11:55 with 2 minute lead. Next several were war canoes 4-8 paddlers. Spotty showers today.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Bob K

#83 4 man tandem first to BML passing at 11:44, 1 mile west of finish line for today. #68 4 person 8 min later with 7 person (#13?) after them. Then, 84,12 (8 people), then first double blade 2 in an Epic kayak at 11:58
Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #8
ADKJoe

90 Miler

I've always wanted to go and watch this race... Hopefully next year I will get the chance.. Looks like such a great time..
Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #9
Wldrns

It was a good race this year. Friday offered several cold rain showers on the course, but wind was mostly light and what wind we had was a tailwind. Saturday got us wet twice, but still mostly calm winds. Sunday was spectacular, again with light wind and welcome sunshine for the race and especially for the awards ceremony at the end. Better than 90 degree temps we have had in some past years. Last year day 3 was cancelled due to high wind and 3 ft waves on Upper Saranac Lake. The first time in 21 years that has ever happened when I was paddling.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #10
ADKJoe

Rain, Wind, Sun

I've been seeing pics on Facebook of the weekend and it just looks like a fun but tough event. I was wondering about the wind this weekend. Is there a course map somewhere as I cannot seem to find one? I dream about doing this race at some point....

Glad everyone made it through safely.. I did hear Raquette Falls carry is a tough one though...

Joe
Old 09-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #11
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKJoe View Post
I've been seeing pics on Facebook of the weekend and it just looks like a fun but tough event. I was wondering about the wind this weekend. Is there a course map somewhere as I cannot seem to find one? I dream about doing this race at some point....

Glad everyone made it through safely.. I did hear Raquette Falls carry is a tough one though...

Joe
Unless you are the lead boat and have never done the race before (unlikely), you don't need a map. Everyone knows the route, or just follows everyone else ahead of them. With up to 275 boats in the race, unless you are extremely fast or slow, other boats knowing the way are always in sight (although I have observed some paddlers making temporary bad route choices from time to time). The general route through the lakes and rivers is described in the Paddler's Guide when your application is accepted into the race.

The RF carry is definitely one to be respected. Very rough at the beginning, single file much of the way, lots of rocks going steeply uphill and some muddy sections. The good part is it is a very welcome butt relief from the previous 4 hours of paddling the length of Long Lake and into the river.

Some people do not like my favorite part of the entire race, Brown's Tract. 2.5 miles of continuous S-turns and several beaver dams to maneuver with and around other boats. It is where you see how well the team can work together to smoothly paddle without striking the bank or other boats.

Rough Carries or technical maneuvering, they are All part of the adventure.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
Wldrns

So here's a first for me in 21 years of paddling the route. While paddling in the channel between 3rd and 4th lakes, along the several camps there, a bear was occupying a dock. Just watching the procession of boats much like any other spectator. He moseyed around on the dock while we watched and paddled on by.

Since I started the race in wave #8 (the last group to start), few paddlers got to enjoy the bear. None of the earlier waves reported seeing it.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
ADKJoe

Seeing the bear would have been awesome! I paddled Browns Tract the week before the race and it was fun... Some day I hope to take part in the event...

Joe
Old 09-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #14
spidennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
So here's a first for me in 21 years of paddling the route. While paddling in the channel between 3rd and 4th lakes, along the several camps there, a bear was occupying a dock. Just watching the procession of boats much like any other spectator. He moseyed around on the dock while we watched and paddled on by.

Since I started the race in wave #8 (the last group to start), few paddlers got to enjoy the bear. None of the earlier waves reported seeing it.
I missed the bear!

spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #15
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Brown's Track is definitely the most fun on the whole course, those with good boat handling skills can pass a lot of faster boats there, being an old whitewater paddler I really enjoy this section. Stick the bow in the slow water on the inside of the turn, let the fast water help turn the stern, over and over about 100 times. As my Pit Crew , my wife says the bridge over Browns Tract in Raquette Village is the best view of the entire race, you see heads and shoulders going back and forth on the meanders, paddlers seemingly passing each other back and forth until finally passing out onto the lake.
As far as traffic goes, 275 pit crews following 275 boats on back country roads is a burden, but police are stationed at particularly bust locations such as when we portage between 5'th and 6'th Lakes, and cross Rt 28.
This year, one of the best as far as wind and wave conditions were concerned, temp. was about 38 degrees at the start on Sunday but with no wind or rain not bad at all.
Oh, and the scenery is fantastic along the entire course, and though I'm racing I do take the time to enjoy the course.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #16
Wldrns

yeah, John, BT is where you really notice who is a practiced paddler and who is not, be it solo or team. Getting the proper and early "approach angle" set prior to a turn is key. Go fast enough such that only a single missed stroke would put you into the outside bank, plant the bow in at the right spot, and you will spin around the turn. Ask me some time about my strategy and technique for effective passing in BT. I might tell you, I might not.

Last edited by Wldrns; 09-12-2017 at 01:19 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote