Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
Grey-Jay

Should have brought dries.

Carrying in less than a mile to a brook trout pond yesterday, made a decision to bring only spinning rod with LC Wabblers and trailing streamers. Forgot worms. Varied depth, speed, etc. Left fly rod and flies in car. Couple hour trolling with nothing and then all of a sudden larger fish rising and taking insects. Darn! Trimmed a wooly bugger to make it smaller and alone let out line but no floatant to put on. Can't cast it on spinning rod. A couple of tugs only. Lesson learned/bring everything. Don't know what they were feeding on but would have been fun casting various dry flies.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
gmorin71

what were the surface temps like? I was excited to get out last weekend but decided not to because of these hot temps. I am going tomorrow night no matter what but am nervous about it.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Grey-Jay

did not measure but perhaps dropping evening temps helping. My pond lack of success offset by several rainbows on a nearby river. Double nymphs worked. first time use of an indicator was well liked by me.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
Carrying in less than a mile to a brook trout pond yesterday, made a decision to bring only spinning rod with LC Wabblers and trailing streamers. Forgot worms. Varied depth, speed, etc. Left fly rod and flies in car. Couple hour trolling with nothing and then all of a sudden larger fish rising and taking insects. Darn! Trimmed a wooly bugger to make it smaller and alone let out line but no floatant to put on. Can't cast it on spinning rod. A couple of tugs only. Lesson learned/bring everything. Don't know what they were feeding on but would have been fun casting various dry flies.
At this time of year suspect corixia migration flights. This can invoke some very fast and furious fly fishing. UpstateDave and I encountered this last Fall. Shorty after we figured out what was happening the event concluded.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
At this time of year suspect corixia migration flights. This can invoke some very fast and furious fly fishing. UpstateDave and I encountered this last Fall. Shorty after we figured out what was happening the event concluded.
Same thing happened to me on a local pond yesterday. Nothing on the wabbler/ nymph combo but a few fish were rising, No midges or mayflies were visible. I never considered the boatman, Great info, VT.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
what were the surface temps like? I was excited to get out last weekend but decided not to because of these hot temps. I am going tomorrow night no matter what but am nervous about it.
I just got back from an overnight in Region 5 at 1200 feet. The surface temp was 70 degrees during the afternoon and 68 at sunrise. I didn't see anything rising for two days. Marked some fish lounging at 90 feet but saw nothing else. The only insects I saw were a ton of Gerridae and an occasional dragonfly. I got a couple of lethargic hits before sunrise on streamers but that was the extent of it.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
troutchaser

Agree with Grey on bringing the fly rod. Wish I was more prepared. That will change for this weekend. Spent some time over the past two weekends in the f!v3 pond$ area. Water temps were in the mid to high 60's and I could see brookies hanging out 10-15 ft. Constantly on both trips saw many trout surfacing. This was pond specific though. After hitting up 7 different ponds of which 5 held trout. Only 2 of the ponds had constant rises, 1 with sporadic rises, and two that had none. The two with constant rises throughout the day were coincidentally the two ponds that held "trophy" brookies. That being fish of 16" or better. (my definition of trophy) Hoping with the warm weather over the past couple of weeks that water temps are still below 70. Likely will have to go over 2000' elevation this weekend and hope for a little breeze.
troutchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:50 AM   #8
serotonin
ember

Gentlemen

Have you ever considered the following ancient incongruent wisdom to make your lives less painful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtIYIHvMEvk
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 AM   #9
serotonin
ember

Your Milege will Certainly Vary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tgUrNSMaW0
Old 09-23-2017, 06:11 AM   #10
serotonin
ember

Tea or Coffee...?

Apples and Oranges, please.
Apples and Orangutans is what you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxl2sWuKjJ0

Stupid Bugger.

Last edited by serotonin; 09-23-2017 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Buggers, Buzzers, and Buzzards
Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #11
Grey-Jay

Serotonin, don't understand your post. But referencing Cutler is sort of funny as Cutlerisms", one of which, "never knowingly understood" came to be applied by supporters and detractors alike

Last edited by Grey-Jay; 09-23-2017 at 07:30 AM..
Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
serotonin
ember

Grey-Jay,

Have you ever met a self-respecting Trout or Char who gave a flying fork about
"supporters and detractors alike" ? Most of the fish I've met have never met a fork.

Up above, I was merely suggesting what might be really on the menu, and an angle to observe it from;
Without telling anyone exactly where to float their boat, nor which specific rock to stand upon.

For the last eight weeks I've been fishing complex/compound hatches to rising trout who grew middle fingers .
Some of it quite remote. Guys who have seen these hatches for 60 years don't wanna go near 'em; for fear of embarrassment.

And if you go to Scotland, ask someone the difference between a bugger and a buzzer.

It ain't gg's and zz's ............................. .

Last edited by serotonin; 09-23-2017 at 11:01 AM..
Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #13
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
I wouldn't bother with the dry flies. Any fish that are rising can be handled with sinking flies 99% of the time IMO. The other thing about this time of year and I don't know if its an old wives tale or not but I've witnessed it several times, is the preparation to spawn where the big trout jump to loosen up their reproductive organs. In that case, they won't bite on anything in my experience. Nothing was hatching but the big fish in the pond were leaping out of the water with aplomb one cold September day almost 30 years ago, it was nuts. We threw everything at them but no takes. Forget the dry flies, you'll be wasting valuable time watching a fly that will likely be ignored. If a fish rises, cast a wet fly to it and see what happens. Woolly bugger might not be the right pattern for this situation.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote