Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Crab Pond, PLWA, 27 Sep, 2017

Tredhed and I decided to brave the heat and humidity today for an easy trek to Crab Pond in the Pharoah Lake Wilderness Area. The early morning fog was lifting as we turned on to Pharaoh Lake Rd.

The new parking lot was amazing. They had directional signs, diagonal parking and a nice outhouse.

We noticed that the register had been restocked with paper last week and there were already two full pages of entries; all going to Pharaoh Lake. We signed in and quickly struck out through the thick, tepid air, anxious to make time before the fog burned off and it got too hot.

After about 20 minutes of walking on the old road, we came to the turn off for Crab Pond.

The trail started out fine, but after a hundred yards, flooding from Mill Creek obscured the footpath and we had to bushwhack uphill to find a crossing on spongy ground.

Once past the obstruction, the yellow disked trail wandered through the hemlocks and provided occasional views of Mill Creek.

The trail eventually left the "cool" hemlocks and entered a sunny stretch of hardwoods. However, soon enough we crossed a small brook draining the notch between #8 and Little Stevens Mt. A short uphill brought us to the 50' waterfal on the outlet of Crab Pond. It must be something during the wet season.

Another short uphill brought us through a nice white pine grove and on to the Crab Pond designated campsite.

The scenery around Crab Pond was delightful. The views of Little Stevens Mt. were especially nice.

While we didn't see any crabs, there were plenty of ducks, salamanders and leeches to keep us amused. I managed to see a rather large northern water snake as well. An added bonus.

After rehydrating and taking a small snack, we headed back down the trail. The heat and humidity kept us at an honest pace and soon enough, we cut the old Pharaoh Lake Rd. and headed back to the parking lot. After downing the remainder our water, we moved down the road to the the Main Street Ice Cream Parlor in Chestertown for a delicious lunch. The beef barley soup and burger were great!

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 09-30-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Pauly D.

Nice! Thank you for posting this. I did this one in the Spring and want to go back before Winter. When did they put in a parking lot at the trailhead? It looks really big.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Nice report TM, thanks for sharing!
Many thanks to the local AFR, stewards, & Rangers that have been making a huge difference in the area for the past 5+ years or so!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Nice! Thank you for posting this. I did this one in the Spring and want to go back before Winter. When did they put in a parking lot at the trailhead? It looks really big.
We were last there in the fall of 2015 and the old parking lot was still around. This new lot is in the same general location, is very large and well laid out. I hope it's plowed in the winter.

It even has some signs to keep people from getting confused.

Of course, when we got back this afternoon, there was a car parked all cattywampus. I guess signs don't apply to some people.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 09-30-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Nice report TM, thanks for sharing!
Many thanks to the local AFR, stewards, & Rangers that have been making a huge difference in the area for the past 5+ years or so!
Thanks Justin. I know this area is special to you and I'm also happy to report that it's in very good shape; beaver flooding aside.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 09-30-2017 at 11:36 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
Thanks Justin. I know this area is special to you and I'm also happy to report that it's in very good shape; beaver flooding aside.
Well hopefully they don't have to mark a detour with some flagging, that is frowned upon here, and some might take it upon themselves to remove the flags.

(Disclaimer for the sensitive serious folks: I'm just kidding around.)
Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #7
kwc
loser

That little yellow disk with Crab Pond and an arrow written on it ... is that legit? Looks like Justin's handwriting ...

Nice report Tick ... thanks for sharing another adventure! Definitely gonna have to check that out. (I apologize for the slight thread drift)

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc View Post
That little yellow disk with Crab Pond and an arrow written on it ... is that legit? Looks like Justin's handwriting ...
Why are you making false accusations?
Old 09-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #9
dundee

No Crabs? No Tredhead-mobile? What kind of trips are you guys going on these days???

Nice TR, thanks.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
No Tredhead-mobile?
See photo #2
Old 09-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
dundee

Quote:
Well hopefully they don't have to mark a detour with some flagging, that is frowned upon here, and some might take it upon themselves to remove the flags.

(Disclaimer for the sensitive serious folks: I'm just kidding around.)
I know of NO ONE on this forum that would do such a thing!

Last edited by dundee; 09-29-2017 at 07:40 AM..
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #12
Tabe

I love the part of the trail that side hills thru the u shaped amphitheater,I did it when all the leaves were down giving a great view.I'm not a hunter but it seems like a great place to sit on watch,except for the rules about distance from a trail and safety concerns.Nice pics.
Tabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #13
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
I love the part of the trail that side hills thru the u shaped amphitheater
I loved that section too! As I turned around to comment to Tredhed on how cool that section of trail was, I promptly tripped on a rock and almost got a closer look at the bottom of that amphitheater.

Good times.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Next time be sure to try the loop....Fun!

https://youtu.be/QpqxFfBan-4
Old 09-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #15
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Next time be sure to try the loop....Fun!

https://youtu.be/QpqxFfBan-4
Your video is what inspired us to do this section!

We'll do the loop some day when the heat index isn't 105
Old 09-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
Tabe

We did the loop on a very nice late fall day,well worth the effort.And it was blazed most of the way.
Tabe is offline   Reply With Quote