Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
tmount
Yellowman

New Trail up Iron Mountain

A couple years ago, I emailed the Giant Wilderness DEC Forester and suggested the creation of a trail up Iron Mt. Lo and behold, such a trail appears in the Giant UMP. I'm happy to report a trail has been started. They still have a long way to go, but there is copious blue flagging to the top.
I would rate the trail easy to moderate, gaining 1,800 feet over about 3 miles. Through a mostly deciduous forest, the best views to the east on this east-west trail would be after the leaves are down. Near the top, views open up to the west and include the Roaring Brook drainage with Bald and Rocky peaks, Rocky Peak Ridge, Giant, Green, and, further off, Hurricane. Northwest Bay on Lake Champlain is seen in the east, not to mention, my house.
The trail begins at a small turnout just south of Lobdell Ln on Rt 9, halfway between Elizabethtown and New Russia. It briefly follows an old logging road, passing a small ice climbing rock on the left, whose name eludes me. Blue flagging vears off to the right or you can stay on the logging road to the cut trail which ends after a half mile or so. There is no drama anywhere except for 3 ground bee/hornet nests, two of which are marked by red tape.
After reaching the small summit you could continue on a straightforward bushwhack over to Owls Head Lookout, visible just to the right of
Green Mt., and its beautiful trail down to Rt 9N. My wife pointed out some iron on the rocks which can mess with your compass.
Post hike, I recommend a dip in the pristine waters of the Boquet River and a visit to the newly re-opened Deer's Head Inn and Restaurant in E'town.
tmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Tabe

Went up today for the 3rd time,once from OwlsHead,another whacking from 9N and today up the blue trail.I was a bit disappointed that the trail skipped the lowest open rock summit that looks so appealing from the road.Nice trail and a gorgeous but hot day.
Tabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
Trail Boss

Gee, I have mixed feelings about the news. We bushwhacked up over Iron to Owl Head and on to Green. The initial stretch up Iron was a delightful walk through open woods. It seemed easy enough without a trail.

If there must be a trail, I hope it emerges atop the slides on Iron's south side. That was my favorite part of the ascent. It offered spectacular views!

Photo Album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsknUgTjW

Slides on Iron by Taras D, on Flickr
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Tabe

Bypassed that part completely TB but the trail is only mostly flagged now.Maybe there will be a spur.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
... the trail is only mostly flagged now.
Are there any official markings on those flags?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you hadn't injured your foot dancing you could be up there putting your official mark on those flags.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc View Post
If you hadn't injured your foot dancing you could be up there putting your official mark on those flags.
Good one Kev!
Old 10-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
Tabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
No but the ones at Wolf Pond had writing and instructions on a lot of them.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
tgoodwin

From the report, it appears that no work has been done in the past year , as i hiked it just about one year ago. At the time, I did correspond with the DEC Forester in charge of the project and specifically asked about the more spectacular view part way up. He said that it had not been included in the initial plan because there was no easy approach to that elevated rock. He still held out some chance of a spur trail to that view.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
No but the ones at Wolf Pond had writing and instructions on a lot of them.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #11
Tabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
From the report, it appears that no work has been done in the past year , as i hiked it just about one year ago. At the time, I did correspond with the DEC Forester in charge of the project and specifically asked about the more spectacular view part way up. He said that it had not been included in the initial plan because there was no easy approach to that elevated rock. He still held out some chance of a spur trail to that view.
Those last 2 sentences are pretty funny since the elevated rock is only a 2 minute flatish walk off the blue trail if you know the jump off point.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
MTVhike

When I went up there this summer, we easily whacked over to the elevated rock but to continue up and make a loop out of it was more difficult.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote