Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
cl05468

Placid area restaurants for hungry hikers

In search of a good place to eat a lot after a long hike. Looking on the web, it seems most places are either lunch-oriented or of the fried American food persuasion, which we'd prefer to avoid.
cl05468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
hookman33

Post hike - you might want to try Cascade Inn. Near the Loj Road, reasonable prices and some good fill you up choices. In town, Smoke Signals has good barbeque and Lisa G's has a good menu.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
yellowcanoe

Second Lisa G's.. menu changes often but categories stay the same.. Lisa prefers to buy local
http://www.lisags.com/images/lisagsdinner.pdf
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
BillyGr

Add a question - does anyone know of places that are good for breakfast and can accommodate a larger (say 15 +/-) person group easily?

The one obvious one had to go and close up this year, so looking towards future years and not having looked for any since there was always a spot to go to...
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
cl05468

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming! Will be in the area a bunch this fall and beyond, would love to keep trying new stuff!
cl05468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #6
LIHiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookman33 View Post
Post hike - you might want to try Cascade Inn. Near the Loj Road, reasonable prices and some good fill you up choices. In town, Smoke Signals has good barbeque and Lisa G's has a good menu.
I have eaten at Cascade Inn twice. The first time that I have eaten at Cascade Inn was great, but on the second time it was terrible.
LIHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
JoeCedar

Redneck Bistro, BBQ and Grill on corner of Saranac Ave and Wesvalley rd. Run by a nice Polish-American couple. No alcohol but great food and large portions.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:47 AM   #8
Redbeard

Tail O' The Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl05468 View Post
In search of a good place to eat a lot after a long hike. Looking on the web, it seems most places are either lunch-oriented or of the fried American food persuasion, which we'd prefer to avoid.
Whatever you do - steer VERY VERY clear of The Tail O' The Pup. This place is best described as a "tourist trap". A few amigos and I fell victim to marketing, bright signage, atmosphere and the sound of live music.

We quickly learned that the circus distractions abound are a necessity to cover up horrid wait times, puny food portions that were served cold, waitresses who could care less, and overpriced everything. Total dive.
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
rickhart

I love Delta Blues, down below the hotel on Main St. If you like cajun food and barbecue, it's great - and they usually have really good blues playing in the background.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
brookies4ever

If you're looking for good Italian food or a good steak, Jimmy's 21 would be my recommendation.
brookies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
Jackson

I realize Saranac lake might be a little out of your way but The Downhill Grill on Main St has always been a spot for a great lunch or dinner.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #12
MarkL
Self-challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookman33 View Post
Post hike - ... In town, Smoke Signals has good barbeque ...
I generally avoid LP due to pricey food, but this summer I agreed to meet friends at Smoke Signals. I braced myself for LP prices before opening the menu, and was somewhat relieved. I just had the half-chicken [at $17.] Considering it was LP,and there's a great view of the Sentinels(iirc) over Mirror Lake, it was reasonable.
A hungry hiker might have to order more than just a dinner though. I ate there immediately after returning from Street and Nye, and could have eaten more. If you did something more challenging, you may need an appetizer/extra sides.

[ Hmmm, I just looked up their menu and it does seem a bit pricey. Maybe it was the company I was with that night that made it seem reasonable.]
Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
Buckshot

Lake Placid Brewery has a great menu. Even if you don't drink beer it's worth checking out. Desperado's (a half mile outside of main st.) has consistently good Mexican food. Those are my two standbys.

I eat at Smoke Signals (and drink $1 beers!) when I feel the need to go into town. The Cottage has great food too, and the prices are reasonable compared to the main restaurant.

I usually get breakfast at the diner. They could accommodate 15 people, but you would be split up.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
hookman33

After a recent canoe trip we tried the Pickled Pig in LP. It's near the Olympic Skating Oval. Good menu and excellent food. Prices are reasonable too. I'll go back.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #15
yayabrazie
Yayabrazie

Oooh theres some good choices on here. Id also reccomend Lisa G's!!
yayabrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #16
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
I realize Saranac lake might be a little out of your way but The Downhill Grill on Main St has always been a spot for a great lunch or dinner.
Is the DH Grill in Saranac Lake now? We used to go there when it was in Placid. Decent Mexican food. We liked Casa del Sol in Saranac Lake too. 'Not sure its even open. We had some fun in that place!
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
JoeCedar

Redneck Bistro & Barbeque in the Pines Hotel. Good and plenty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #18
wildbrookies

What about the Adirondack Steak and Seafood ,downtown LP. Havent been there in a few years but their Salmon on a plank and steak dinners were very good. Along with a few pints of their own brewed beer makes for a great dinner.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #19
MTVhike

I ate at the Cascade Inn on Columbus Day Sunday and, although not terrible, not great either.
I like the Adirondack Steak and Seafood.
In Saranac Lake, I like the Downhill Grill and the Mexican restaurant on the way in (I can't think of its name). For breakfast, McKenzie Grill is good and has plenty of room (but can be crowded on weekends).
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #20
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Is there another Swiss Kitchen in Saranac Lake? There's one in Tupper. Haven't been there in a while, but I remember that it was good.
oops, my mistake. Let's go to the Blue Moon in SL instead for a good breakfast.