Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #21
Justin
Moving along

Any thoughts about the resurgence of loons and eagles in the Adirondacks and their affect on future trout populations in the Adirondacks?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #22
Pauly D.

As a new fly fisher I've been thinking about this a lot. I can't speak for the rivers but most of the ponds I've been to are oligotrophic meaning rocky, steep banks, deep, clear water with little nutrients. I believe this is fairly common in the Adirondacks and most ponds are classified as such. Based on the research I've been able to dig up oligotrophic waters are rich in dissolved oxygen, even at depth. That makes me think that even if it's hot the trout will be ok near the bottom where the water is cold (assuming the pond is deep enough to develop a thermocline).

This would not be the case for eutrophic ponds where decaying plant matter at the bottom eats up all the dissolved oxygen resulting in summer-kill. I'm not sure about mesotrophic ponds.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #23
St.Regis

Rocker fish ADKPB! Congrats!
St.Regis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #24
BillyGr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Something on the Albany TV news/weather...we broke 13 heat records this year and 12 in '16....scary!
On the opposite side of that coin - look at the September records.

The three days we had this year that set records of 90 or above (making it the first fully in autumn recorded heatwave) were the 24th to 26th.
The three days just prior to that (21st to 23rd) have records of 95, 95 and 97 all of which were set in 95... 1895, that is!

And in October, three days (1st, 5th & 6th) have records of 90+, the most recent being 1941.
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #25
Creekwader
Snag Locator

https://imgur.com/gallery/scrEX
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #26
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
On the opposite side of that coin - look at the September records.

The three days we had this year that set records of 90 or above (making it the first fully in autumn recorded heatwave) were the 24th to 26th.
The three days just prior to that (21st to 23rd) have records of 95, 95 and 97 all of which were set in 95... 1895, that is!

And in October, three days (1st, 5th & 6th) have records of 90+, the most recent being 1941.
Those are "inconvenient" facts for the "Inconvenient Truth" hypothesis.......
Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #27
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoron View Post
Those are "inconvenient" facts for the "Inconvenient Truth" hypothesis.......

There is a difference between weather and climate. Read up.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #28
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
There is a difference between weather and climate. Read up.
I wish your side would remember that when claiming hot days as evidence........., when claiming hurricanes as evidence (just four hurricanes of any size made landfall during the Obama administration for an average of 0.5 per year, the fewest of any presidential administration dating back to 1901.) - ., when claiming rainy periods or dry periods or sunny days or foggy days,

BTW, are you still driving an internal combustion machine?

Read up.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #29
Stillhunter

I agree with you Poconoron. Fear mongering for control of the wealth, resources and to take away your independence.
The earth is cooling and Adk brookies are just fine. Relax and go fishing!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #30
gorpot

I live about 12 miles north of Rome NY, and measure snow, rain, and temperatures. I have not had a 90° day in 4 years. This summer was a very cool one. True it was warm the last half of September, but it was a cool wet summer. Lake, stream and pond temperature were below normal until after mid Sept. I have a BS in Meteorology. As stated before, the climate is always changing, and I don't believe it is mans fault. Back in the time frame about 1200, Greenland was settled and farming was a main form of industry. Now it is too cold to farm in Greenland. Back then they were growing grapes in Great Britain, no more as it is too cold. By the way, I caught some nice Brookies back in the warm spell about 10 days ago. Brook trout will be here for years, if the loons don't eat them all.
gorpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #31
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoron View Post
I wish your side would remember that when claiming hot days as evidence........., when claiming hurricanes as evidence (just four hurricanes of any size made landfall during the Obama administration for an average of 0.5 per year, the fewest of any presidential administration dating back to 1901.) - ., when claiming rainy periods or dry periods or sunny days or foggy days,

BTW, are you still driving an internal combustion machine?

Read up.
"My side"? Nice try. There is a large group that believes in science when it's convenient. Like going to a doctor, or engineering an airplane but when it goes against their preconceived and immovable notions not so much.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #32
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
"My side"? Nice try. There is a large group that believes in science when it's convenient. Like going to a doctor, or engineering an airplane but when it goes against their preconceived and immovable notions not so much.
Engineering an airplane... So you acknowledge what I do is science??? Hey, Moe. What's this thing for? Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk
Old 10-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #33
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

It's an interesting psychological truth that those who are right about something are absolutely convinced of their rightness. It's also true that those who are wrong are equally convinced of their rightness. This is simply a human trait and has been demonstrated over and over again in psychological studies.

So if you accept at face value that the above is true, how would you go about proving that your own beliefs are wrong those times when they are? This obviously applies to both sides of the climate change argument and to all of the things we believe strongly.

Last edited by vtflyfish; 10-07-2017 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: emphasis and clarity
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #34
Tug Hill

Glen, you are correct, many only believe in science when it is convenient.
Science tells us life begins at conception, but pro abortion advocates,many who are climate change proponents , do not believe in biology.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #35
geogymn

It is much better to say I know a truth than it is to say I know the truth. We really need to strengthen the ties that bind us together and calmly discuss our differences. Kumbaya!
Old 10-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #36
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
"BTW, are you still driving an internal combustion machine?"

Your non-answer to my question tells me all I need to know. I've come across this many, many times for the "your side" advocates. One case in particular, a neighbor of mine always pontificating on how we are killing the planet with CO2 happens to drive one of those huge Chevy Suburbans (17 mpg on a good day?). Or the Hollywood types taking their private jets all over the world bemoaning the "warming of the planet", or pardon me, is it "climate change". Gorpot had it right: the climate is always changing, and I don't believe it is mans fault. Back in the time frame about 1200, Greenland was settled and farming was a main form of industry. Now it is too cold to farm in Greenland. Back then they were growing grapes in Great Britain, no more as it is too cold.

I guess it's not THAT serious a problem for they themselves to take action.............
Old 10-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #37
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

To my point................

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...nowing-danger/
Old 10-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #38
baisleytom

what do you drive?
baisleytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:17 PM   #39
ADKpikebuster

Only the best..... f-150

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #40
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baisleytom View Post

what do you drive?
Dodge Grand Caravan and Toyota Corolla. What about you?