Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Chihuahuas are ruining our environment

I use way too many paper towels. I admit, I am guilty... and here's why:

5 years ago my then future wife brought home a chihuahua puppy. I told her not to get one, but she did anyway. Her plan was to just get it, let me be mad for a few days, and then I would love it. Well it worked. I love that damn dog.

At the time we got the puppy we lived in a Townhouse with carpeting. Boy was that a mistake! The chi ruined that carpet within the first few weeks and continued to soak it until we left. That cost me $700 out of my security deposit. Oh and who knows how much on paper towels and dog pee stink removal sprays (none of which work, trust me).

She also managed to hit my extremely valuable Iranian rugs that were passed on down through my grandparents. Even after a professional cleaning they still smell. I'm sure I used a roll or two of paper towels on them trying to save them... the natural dyes wiped from the wool with every dab.

When we bought our current house, first order of business was to tear out all the carpet and refinish the hardwood floors. We decided to start off using less expensive area rugs in the dog's territory and put my family heirlooms where she isn't allowed. Those inexpensive rugs were ruined within a few months despite my trying to revive them with baking soda and various other treatments. We now have only tile and wood where the dog roams.

Back to me and this dog killing the environment. I clean up pee every day. It is part of my life. Some days I want to shoot myself, so I rationalize using a few paper towels to ease my pain. And yet I still love that damn dog. She is really nice but like most chihuahuas, does not care where she does her business. She waits at most a minute. If it is cold, snowy or rainy she will avoid going outside and sneak off... she won't do it front of us... she knows, oh she knows... and she is very quick about pinching a loaf and taking a squirt. You bat an eyelash and it could happen.

So I could blame myself for using an excess of paper towels to clean up dog pee, but I'd in fact rather just blame the dog... it makes me feel better.

And if you want to do your part to save our environment, don't buy a chihuahua or let your wife bring one home... it may very well save your sanity as well...

Last edited by l'oiseau; 06-22-2013 at 08:53 PM..
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Alpine1

There, I hope you feel beter getting that off your chest...lol
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Deb dePeyster

Funny.
I have house cats...the day they start to spray, they will be outdoor only, even if I have to put up a separate heated building for them. I have friends whose cats spray....their house is literally ruined.
Deb dePeyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Sounds like a training issue not a breed issue.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
rollinslover64

Actually most small dogs are that way.I have a Shih-Tzu that's the same way but you have to be ready at any waking hour.He does let me know though so I slip the boots on and take him out at the first sign.If I don't I'm cleaning it up.Could have something to do with the small bladder size.I have friends with the same problems with their small dogs.The good thing is he spends his nights sleeping with no accidents.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

It is very common with small dogs, chihuahuas in particular. Like I say, they give you a minute to let you know, if you don't catch it, you're bustin' out the towels.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
snav3

Small dogs are nice (and cats too), because they come in that convenient microwavable size.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
jan

Not true about all small dogs. I had a part mini poodle and part who knows what that weighed about 8 pounds. That dog wouldn't go in the house no matter what. I had car trouble one time and didn't get home for hours later than I expected, and expected to find a mess. Nope, but she was peeing before she hit the ground once I opened the door and she could get outside. Never went in the house. Weird thing was, she'd only go on grass. Tried to get her to go in a parking lot once while traveling and she wouldn't do it. Had to walk a long way to find some grass. Best dog I ever owned and I still miss her every day.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
rollinslover64

I'm sure it's not true with all small dogs which is why I said most.I know a lot of people with small dogs and most complain of this problem while others don't have it. My dogs,2 Husky's and the Shih-Tzu were all trained in the exact same way and I've never had a problem with the Husky's.They will however keep on me more then the Shih-Tzu so maybe I'm the one that needs more training.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Our other dog, a lab-pitbull? mix, learned to go outside in less than a week. Never misses. The chihuahua is 5; sometimes she won't even go in the grass because I suppose it feels funny on her toes? Or maybe it is wet? She'll just go on the doorstep... She prefers going on rugs... they must feel the best

We bought a 'special' astroturf rug for her just to go on and tried to train her to use that, like a litter box of sorts. She wouldn't even walk on that one let alone pee on it.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
BigRange

The coyotes thought my girlfriend's Chihuahua was delicious. Poor thing. He was a sweet little buggar. They can't seem to ambush the cat though, despite all my girlfriend's best attempts to make it easy for them.
BigRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
TCD

l'oiseau, it looks like your avatar could take care of the problem dog...

I have a problem cat. His home is in the basement (his litter box and everything is there). He's very sweet and friendly, but lately he will not pee in the littler box. He never pees upstairs in the living area of the house, but he pees on the floor in the basement, next to the litter box. Cannot seem to get him to use the box anymore - he poops in the box, but will not pee in it, and he's stinking up the basement. Maybe I will contract with your avatar to take care of him, as well - don't know what to do!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
l'oiseau, it looks like your avatar could take care of the problem dog...

I have a problem cat. His home is in the basement (his litter box and everything is there). He's very sweet and friendly, but lately he will not pee in the littler box. He never pees upstairs in the living area of the house, but he pees on the floor in the basement, next to the litter box. Cannot seem to get him to use the box anymore - he poops in the box, but will not pee in it, and he's stinking up the basement. Maybe I will contract with your avatar to take care of him, as well - don't know what to do!
Bond wouldn't think twice about ridding the chihuahua. I, unfortunately, am not that cold...

We had a cat that did the same thing. He went to a new home and he is fine now. I literally think he got upset with us and started doing it out of spite. It was after we had moved and stayed with my in-laws (with many dogs) for a while.

My guess is he was traumatized somehow and he's taking it out on your basement (and you). Cats seem to hold grudges, unlike dogs.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
Odyssey

Choose Chi's favourite carpet. Let the little pooch enjoy the comfy carpet pee station. Every day move it closer to the door. Then finally move it out the door.
I have no idea if this will work, but at least it'll take your mind off the little bugger's hijinks for a few days. We have 3 rescue cats. One of them is so frightened of strangers (especially the visiting grandkids) that she will do her business in the front (doorless) hall coat closet when we have visitors. She seems to favour my shoes.
After visits I have to be very careful to remember to check my shoes before I put them on. I'll trade you 3 cats for a Chihuahua. (We have no carpets) And I love dogs, including Chihuahuas.

Last edited by Odyssey; 06-26-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
marshmallow

TCD, try using two litter boxes for your problem kitty. I have had a few cats that would only poop in one litter box and pee in the second box. You can also try Cat Attract litter.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751734
marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
TCD

Thanks. I'm already using the cat attract, but I will try adding a box. We used to have 2 cats and 2 boxes. One cat died (old age) and I got rid of one box; but I have read that you should consider having n+1 boxes, where n is the number of cats. So I will add back an extra box.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
Choose Chi's favourite carpet. Let the little pooch enjoy the comfy carpet pee station. Every day move it closer to the door. Then finally move it out the door.
I have no idea if this will work, but at least it'll take your mind off the little bugger's hijinks for a few days. We have 3 rescue cats. One of them is so frightened of strangers (especially the visiting grandkids) that she will do her business in the front (doorless) hall coat closet when we have visitors. She seems to favour my shoes.
After visits I have to be very careful to remember to check my shoes before I put them on. I'll trade you 3 cats for a Chihuahua. (We have no carpets) And I love dogs, including Chihuahuas.
LOL I love dogs too. I don't love their pee though. We tried something like what you suggested but she isn't consistent. She won't always go on the carpet.

Almost nothing can make her go outside if it is raining or snowing. She is made for the desert - and we certainly don't live in one!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
Odyssey

Now stop it! She's sounding cuter by the minute. Did I mention I'm allergic to cats? How ironic. I'm a tradesman, and every home with animals I visit, they all come to greet me! I love them all, but by the end of the day I look like I've succumbed to a teary ended chick flick. It must be my burden to bear.
I'm serious about the trade by the way. I'm running out of shoes.
PS I bet you haven't tried a carpet runner?! Just gently roll up the "in house end" as you go. The other end might be surreptitiously positioned in the car trunk? Just kidding.
I'll throw in a bonus of some free shoes. What size do you wear?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

She is pretty darn cute... by the look on her face I'd guess she just pee'd.

Our other dog is no saint either. In his first year he destroyed our downstairs bathroom, a recliner (shredded it down to the frame), many cords, his cage and countless other items. He is a chewer. Luckily he is slowing down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burger_Yoda.jpg (101.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 06-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #20
Odyssey

Okay, now you're just not playing fair. Posting photos of the little trouble maker is pushing my buttons. Okay, two cats for the little sweetheart, but that's my last offer. And a free pair of gently abused shoes.
Your recliner by the way, probably had it coming to it. I'm on the pooch's side. There's nothing more irritating than a lazy-boy that just doesn't say "doggy comfort".
I have a brand new leather club chair, that apparently was just a little too high for our portly # 3 house cat to jump up into. The claw marks up the arms of this furniture look like she's been tossing a freaking grappling hook. I assumed cats were good climbers, I had no idea they needed crampons and ladders. Your pee problem is starting to look a little insignificant compared to my furniture and wardrobe problem. I'm not desperate or anything, but I'm down to flip flops and freaking lawn chairs here!