Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2003, 10:23 AM   #1
mashysteria

Wet gigital camera

Last summer, while climbing the Trap Dike, I dropped my digital camera into the brook. Stupid!!
It's a Sony Cyber-shot 2.0 mp. I had purchased a larger memory stick (64mb) for the trip.
The camera does turn on, I was able to download the pictures I had already taken, the LCD viewer works, the lense cover opens, everything works except one thing. It won't take a picture.
I'm wondering if it's worth it to have it repaired (if possible), or should I go buy a new one. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
mashysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
Kevin
**BANNED**

Most electronics will work assuming they were off at the time they got wet and stayed off until completely dry. The water lifts items from the electronic/circuit board that conduct electricity (since water itself isn't a good enough conductor on its own), so that once the power is restored it created a short, and that's usually when it 'dies'.

Now, you either still have some moisture in there or you killed it when you turned it on before it completely dried. Either way it's going to have to be opened up (if it isn't dry by now or if it's damaged).
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:20 PM   #3
mtgoat
Mountain Man Moderator

I agree and feel that it most likely needs to be disassembled and cleaned. Often times the residue left behind is what will cause electronics to cease working after a dip in the drink. A lot of folks familiar with this recomend you keep the item in a container of clean water till you can get it to a shop to prevent corrosion and mineral deposits from forming.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
~~Theodore Roosevelt~~
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote