Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2003, 01:58 PM   #1
Kevin
**BANNED**

My Photographic Jorurnal (work in progress)

Here's a link to an online photography journal I started in March 2003...

http://www.the-boogiemen.com/hiking/

one of my favorite photos (from the Gothics sub-peak "Pyramid"):

Last edited by Kevin; 11-09-2003 at 03:33 PM..
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:22 PM   #2
morrell12

Very nice photos Kevin. If you do not mind me asking how much did you pay for your camera?

Thanks,
Old 11-12-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally posted by morrell12
Very nice photos Kevin. If you do not mind me asking how much did you pay for your camera?

Thanks,
I don't mind at all.

Camera alone was $200, probably a little less now as there are newer models available.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:20 PM   #4
AlpineSummit
Walk Softly

Nice Kevin.

Here's a link to my pics--> http://groups.msn.com/dacks/thedacks...pgmarket=en-us

Feel free to copy if you like any.

Happy Trails
AlpineSummit
Old 11-12-2003, 06:34 PM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

Tremendous amount of pics alpine, VERY impressive
Old 11-14-2003, 01:36 PM   #6
altec
Young Buck

Kevin, I have loved looking at your pics when you used to post them in the "General" area over at OC.........great job captuing the outdoors...

AlpineSummit, those are some damn good pictures too.

I need to get a good digital camera for the next time I go out. It always seems so bulky to me when I think about it, but it sucks to be out there and say "wow, that would make an incredible picture" and then not have anything to capture it with.
altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:54 PM   #7
Kevin
**BANNED**

bah! The camera weighs ounces and it's very small, I put the shoulder strap over my shoulder and under my coat/shirt, and pull the camera out when needed. In the winter you need to keep digital cameras warm, they won't get enough juice if the battery's too cold.

I hate forgetting the camera (did this on my first Giant Mt hike. Was 20 miles from home before I realized it and almost turned back...

Great investment, already captured its worth in memories.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:47 PM   #8
Head
Guiness Anyone?

Nice shots Kev!! Alpinesummit too! Here's a link to our pics : Birdhead Studios Picturebook
(You need Macromedia Flash to view it.) _____________________________

BirdHead Studios
Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 11:38 PM   #9
Kevin
**BANNED**

You guys so cheesed out on the Panther shots (there isn't even a picture of the mountain! ).

Like it anyway, and the video footage more than makes up for this slight oversight
Old 11-15-2003, 12:09 AM   #10
Head
Guiness Anyone?

Just a little...:P

Been up that badboy twice and still havent got a good shot! Humid as hell on both trips out...mabye our luck will change this winter!
Old 11-15-2003, 02:16 AM   #11
Mavs00
I am the sith

Here's mine

Here's my gallery. Granted, I'm a family guy, so many of the photos, my kids stick their nose in (and I'm too tired to ask them to move outta the way). Still a few nice photos and overall shots.

And whaddya know, I got Panther pics on try number 1. Sweet.

Here's the GALLERY

Alpine, thanks for the permission, I've been wanting to steal most of your pics (and claim them as my own ).

Head, as always the vids are a ball. Shared (SOME) of them with the kids. They loved the "Black Fly" (Allen was it) and the one where the dude "jumped off the mountain". Great tunes as well.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:32 PM   #12
Head
Guiness Anyone?

So thats what the views from Panther are like You've got some beautiful shots there Tim. Scanned through the rest of the album as well...youve got some fantastic shots from Bryce and the High Peaks as well. Keep it up and see ya on the trail!

BirdHead Studios
Old 12-31-2003, 09:10 AM   #13
Charlie
Outdoorsman

Hello

Well, I recognize quite a few names on this board. I finally came over to visit, don't know what took me so long.

Everybody has some great photos. Feel free to check out my site for a few of my own. Like Mavs00, there are quite a few with kids in them, specifically The Mountain Goat, my 12 year old.

Don't forget to check out my Photo Gallery page and look at the flash photo albums - props to bgk and ezway.net for those!

Charlie's Adirondack Adventures
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 07:59 PM   #14
Mashmann

Hey Guys -

I'm about to plunk down $300 for a Canon PowerShot SD100 Digital Elph 3.2. This is your last chance to encourage or dissuade me.

It's going to Germany next month with my son to study abroad. I figure it's small enough to carry around in his pocket conveniently.

I assume I should get a SD Memory Card for it, correct? 32 mb? 64 mb? 128 mb?

You words of advice would be appreciated.

Ed
Mashmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 12:43 AM   #15
Kevin
**BANNED**

Canon makes an excellent product, especially when you consider the price of only $300. Depending on your archiving needs (how large/high quality the original images need to be) will determine your memory card needs. I personally use and have yet to fill (but have come close) my 64MB on highest 2.0MP quality. With that camera you could probably get away with 64MB, but if you can find it relatively cheap just grab the 128MB to be sure. Also, don't forget that even though you have the memory card, you can still switch back to use the camera's internal memory (usually 16MB) once the memory card is full.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:05 PM   #16
Wildernessphoto

Good Eye!

WOW!
You've got some nice stuff Kevin!
I love the Panoramics!

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:22 PM   #17
Kevin
**BANNED**

Re: Good Eye!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildernessphoto
WOW!
You've got some nice stuff Kevin!
I love the Panoramics!
Sadly I decided to go to university for meterology (never finished) and not the local community college to start my photography career (was really into it as a kid).

You're pics aren't half bad either . I keep seeing some of the work still being done in 35mm and it's tempting me to drop the few bucks back into having a lab again...

But for hiking I like the ease and light weight of a digicam. I really only want them for snap-shots/memories anyway. If I decide to take the nature photography more seriously I will have to get some lightweight gear and start planning around the weather (or FOR the weather in some cases).
Old 01-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #18
Wildernessphoto

Re: Re: Good Eye!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin
I keep seeing some of the work still being done in 35mm and it's tempting me to drop the few bucks back into having a lab again...
I still do a lot in 35mm. I can do a lot of things with my 35mm's that I can't do with digital. I do a lot of time lap/ long exposure, and night time shooting with slow film, that gives me really neat effects.

Don't worry about a lab, Kevin, I take my pictures in 35mm format and scan them in and burn them on a CD.

Here's a shot I took at Caulkins Creek (camp 1) on the western side of the Sewards with a Canon A-1 and 100 ASA Fuji film.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Wildernessphoto; 01-10-2004 at 03:56 PM..
Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 PM   #19
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildernessphoto
I still do a lot in 35mm. I can do a lot of things with my 35mm's that I can't do with digital. I do a lot of time lap/ long exposure, and night time shooting with slow film, that gives me really neat effects.

Don't worry about a lab, Kevin, I take my pictures in 35mm format and scan them in and burn them on a CD.

Here's a shot I took at Caulkins Creek (camp 1) on the western side of the Sewards with a Canon A-1 and 100 ASA Fuji film.
Enjoy!
I really enjoyed the little bit of night photography I did... but didn't have the gear or access to the better film in order to get crisp enough shots that I wanted to keep in my portfolio...

I agree there's so much more flexibility with 35mm. I was a bit of a darkroom tricks guy, so a lab (if just for funsies) would be a requirement. Hell, lab first --good camera later
Old 01-10-2004, 11:12 PM   #20
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin
I was a bit of a darkroom tricks guy, so a lab (if just for funsies) would be a requirement. Hell, lab first --good camera later
A lab would be a ball! You ought to check out Ebay. A lot of guys are dumping there darkroom equipment, and pro cameras, at rock-bottom prices! I've picked up some real deals this year. When everyone goes digital, film equipment drops through the floor. I've picked up some hybrid lenses that I would have had to take a second mortgage out on my house to pay for them 10 years ago. Now there dirt cheap...

(I might talk you into this yet!)

The Photography of Gary F. Dean