Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #1
whola

Couple of Questions!

So I have camped in ADK before on Alger Island and this year I decided to camp in Forked Lake. I am looking for good nearby drinking spots, dinner spots, and most importantly any good hiking spots. Oh and anything cool to check out on forked lake? I wonder how cold the water will be!
whola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whola View Post
So I have camped in ADK before on Alger Island and this year I decided to camp in Forked Lake. I am looking for good nearby drinking spots, dinner spots, and most importantly any good hiking spots. Oh and anything cool to check out on forked lake? I wonder how cold the water will be!
I am guessing the water temp will be between 40-50 degrees, Check the water temp BEFORE you stick your foot in.

http://newyorkstateparks.reserveamer...=NY&parkId=641
Old 05-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
whola

How about good hikes in that area?
whola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Blue Mountain and Owls Head are fire tower peaks in the area, and both are worthwhile hikes. Blue is a bit shorter but also steeper with more elevation gain.

Further away, Sawyer Mountain is an easier climb with OK views. Snowy Mountain is a long climb (the mountain is only about 100 feet short of being a High Peak) but is worthwhile, if you're looking for a more challenging hike.

If you're looking for a pond or lake to hike into, nearby options include Sargent Ponds (just south of Forked Lake), Wilson and Cascades Ponds (in the Blue Ridge Wilderness, south of Blue Mountain Lake), and Tirrell Pond, behind Blue Mountain. Float planes are allowed to land on both Sargent Ponds and Tirrell Pond, so if you're looking for solitude, Wilson and Cascade Ponds are probably a better bet.

Be sure also to check out Buttermilk Falls, on the Raquette River between Forked Lake and Long Lake. The falls are just off the road and are easilly accessible. There are a couple of day use picnic spots at the falls.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
snapper
snapper

In my opinion you might not enjoy staying on Forked if you need to go out for eating as well as your other activities. The campground is at the end of a dead end road and you're a decent drive/distance from the closest town; Long Lake. As much as I enjoy the village, you'll quickly exhaust the places where you can eat. Blue Mt. Lake, the next closest village doesn't have much either; although I can definitely recommend the Hedges to you in Blue Mt. If you do travel to Blue Mt. Lake, be sure to put aside time to visit the Adirondack Museum.

That's all for now. Take care, enjoy your trip and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #6
Buckladd

Drinking/Eating: Tap Room in Raquette Lake, ADK Hotel and Owls Head Pub in Long Lake

Hike: Sargent Ponds, Blue Mt., Castle Rock

Forked Lake: Depends on the campsite, the water level and when you are there. There's a nice one with a beach not far from the launch. Good paddling lake and usually good smallmouth fishing.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Banoe

When I was fishing at the end of April the temps. in the lakes I was fishing was about 52 degrees.
I would think water temps would be around 60 degrees now.
Banoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banoe View Post
When I was fishing at the end of April the temps. in the lakes I was fishing was about 52 degrees.
I would think water temps would be around 60 degrees now.
Good guess.

https://www.watertemperature.net/uni...mperature.html
Old 05-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #9
RichieC

Water temp will depend on source of water and turnover/lack thereof. But I have swum in Maine's ocean, where you get an ice cream headache when you head goes under and burnt feet on the sand. Get a good fire going and a cup of hot tea all ready and jump in, you may not linger long, but you'll feel great! And really, what else can you do! LOL

Forked lake isn't on the way to anywhere… be careful driving after any excursions- there aren't any back roads to take home when there is only one, and they watch carefully, and well... have a DD.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote