Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you use a PFD when paddling?
Yes 163 75.81%
No 52 24.19%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #141
woodcamper

Absolutely!!
woodcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #142
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Thanks RichieC - one of the best posts I've seen in this thread. Excellent perspective

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #143
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

I used to strap mine around my backpack so it would float if I flipped... dumb. Now I wear it.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #144
Odyssey

Iím a bit over bearing and over protecting as a dad, so wearing a PFD was required on our family trips. Now that the kids are grown and flown, itís just my wife and I.
Iíll occasionally paddle with her on sunny warm days on small quiet waters sans PFD, but she never goes without it. I left my superman cape in a phone booth somewhere, so Iím feeling less confident and more human these days. When Iím solo, even for a quiet morning paddle with my coffee, I wear it. Maybe itís my security blanket for an aging middle- aged guy, but I know itíll keep me safer than any aspirations of athletic prowess.
Sorry to lecture, itís the dad thing kicking in again.
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #145
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
Iím a bit over bearing and over protecting as a dad, so wearing a PFD was required on our family trips. Now that the kids are grown and flown, itís just my wife and I.
Iíll occasionally paddle with her on sunny warm days on small quiet waters sans PFD, but she never goes without it. I left my superman cape in a phone booth somewhere, so Iím feeling less confident and more human these days. When Iím solo, even for a quiet morning paddle with my coffee, I wear it. Maybe itís my security blanket for an aging middle- aged guy, but I know itíll keep me safer than any aspirations of athletic prowess.
Sorry to lecture, itís the dad thing kicking in again.
It's called wisdom.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #146
BellWildFIRE

heck Yes!

I can't think of a good reason not too!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #147
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Wow. Good advice. I capsized my Coleman Scanoe by trying to turn too fast with an electric motor and a stiff wind. I recall myself saying, "I can't believe I'm going in". I lost my cell phone, rod & reel and some gear. The motor churned over my head full blast. When I came up the canoe was still going in a circle and I grabbed the gunwale and hung on. No life jacket on but I was able to turn off the motor and grab the PFD. The water was chilly as this was October. No one around. Steep high bank (not climbable) on one side, open water on the other side. I had to let go of the side to put on my PFD and that's when I had to let go of the cel phone. Fortunately I found a ledge with my feet about four feet down and wedged the boat into a crevice and climbed back in. There was about five inches of water in the boat but the battery still powered the electric motor. It was difficult trying to "balance" with all that water wanting to capsize me again but I made it to a ramp about a 1/4 mile away.

I ordered outriggers after that and wore my PFD instead of just having it close. I was lucky. I thought I was a goner. Life seemed much sweeter on the way home. Mother Nature offers quick lessons - if you live through it. I remember praying while trying to hang on. I highly recommend wearing one even if it is hot.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #148
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I didn't wear one as a kid growing up in Maine, we kept them in the canoe but rarely wore them. We didn't get a canoe till I was 13 or so and when we had it we only used it on calm days for day trips during warm weather and mostly in shallow water. Probably would have been smart to wear them then, looking back. I have only ever worn the Type 1 PFDs that are a bit awkward, my plan for when I build my solo canoe this spring is to buy a Type 3 since they look like they would fit a bit better and be out of the way of the arms. To me it makes sense that I should wear one most of the time, but on a calm day when I am not "out of my depth" and it was hot I would not feel any great compunction about not wearing it either.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #149
yellowcanoe

The Type III's are so comfortable. If you find one that fits you you shouldn't notice it.

I remember the days of horsecollars too and never wore it much back then.. Too much bulk!
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #150
Crokit
crokit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellWildFIRE View Post
I can't think of a good reason not too!
'nuff said
Old 03-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #151
Potterdave
Potterdave

I'm embarrassed to say that I usually keep it in the canoe except for nasty conditions. However, after reading all the above voices of reason, I will wear it religiously. Thanks to you all for the kick in the ass.
Potterdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #152
suds54

99.9 % of the time , the navy taught me well

Last edited by suds54; 04-10-2014 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: adding info
suds54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #153
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

New TV as from New Zealand

Saw this the other day...funny, and effective.

http://youtu.be/AvRnAZQcbCY

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #154
Buckladd

I'll admit I don't always wear it, mainly on those hot summer days when I'm bass fishing from my kayak in two feet of water. Still, the older I get the more I wear it and I have several, including a Co2 inflatable that is much more comfortable than most. Most of the time a standard vest is what I wear when the water is cold (like now) or when I'm on big lakes like Lake George and others.

Here's an article I wrote about cold water safety: http://www.adirondackoutdoorsmagazin...lesson-for-all

Last edited by Buckladd; 05-11-2016 at 10:16 PM..
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote