Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Zeebo

Mountain to Ledge Pd St.Regis

Anyone here portaged btw Mountain Pond & Ledge Pond in St. Regis Canoe Area.
Orthoimagery shows a creek bed to follow for some...
I've read you can get from Long to Ledge on a carry trail but hope to do a loop of Long, Pinks, Ledge, Mountain back to Long as part of a larger trip in the area. Just wondering if anyone been through that way?
Hope all enjoy there travels this year.
Thanks

Last edited by Zeebo; 05-21-2016 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: clarify
Zeebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Zeebo,
I paddled Ledge in '09 from Long...I paddled into that corner of Ledge as far as possible, but I don't remember there being much more water than that which I had already traversed.

Understand that I am a master of impractical trips...
I just looked at the satellite images and the USGS topo maps. Generally speaking, if the topo maps show a thin blue line for a waterway, it is not navigable.
Even though there appears to be some wetlands between the two, depending on beaver activity (or lack thereof) that section could be a breeze to paddle or an impossible slog.
The approx 15 ft gain between would be inconsequential either way, I suppose.

If it were me, and was not accompanied by any weak souls, I would give it a try! Could be a fun loop as a day trip with an empty boat.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
Wldrns

I don't believe it is anywhere near navigable. Nearing Ledge Pond on a direct line from Mountain Pond it is a swampy wooded wetland with plenty of downed trees and debris, as indicated by the symbols on the topo map. However, it is a wonderful bushwhack if you keep slightly south, toward the two small unnamed ponds. They are surprisingly beautiful. Not indicated on the topo map are very interesting quite large landforms to explore on the N side of those ponds. Well worth discovering for yourself, so I won't describe what they are exactly. You will be amazed. Oh, and beneath a stand of very large trees in the area are the largest piles of squirrel midden I have ever seen. Quite spectacular.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
Zeebo

stripperguy - I didn't think i could paddle it but wondered if its just a rocky creek one could follow to get over to mountain pond. Thanks, I saw a report from you describing getting from Long to Ledge and decided i'd add that to itinerary, then my eyes just kept wandering...

Wldrns - thanks for info on the swampy wooded debris filled wetland that I will go just south of to find some great ponds n things.
Zeebo is offline   Reply With Quote