Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
Upstate Matt

Old Town adjustable seat ?

I am trying to put my Penobscot 15 back to its original condition.

A previous owner made it into a tandem. The seats seem higher than the original solo seat. The original seat with the built in yoke was chopped down and used for a stern seat. I asked about it and was given the 2 side rails, the 4 hanger bolts, and the 4 pieces of metal hardware that attaches the seat to the rails.

I can make or buy the wooden spacers that go between the rails and gunwales and make or buy a replacement seat. I just can't figure out how to attach the hardware to be able to fix the seat to the desired position.

I had it on the water once kneeling. I want to get some experience with this. I am quite the novice, this is my first year paddling anything (an old banged up and straightened out, flat bottomed, aluminum, 14 footer, that has been laying around the place for a few years) and I have never experienced anything like it. I want more!

Thanks,
Matt
Upstate Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
charlie wilson

Hollow dowels to drop the seat rails and a new seat can be had from Ed's Canoe Parts or Essex Industries. Once the longitudinally oriented rails are installed with bolts; dowels cut to fit, the seat needs be cut to overhang the slider rails. Then the four metal clamps need be screwed to the seat crossbar ends to stabilize it on the rails.

Neat old boat, from the days when 15 ft solo trippers were standard, and RX ones, Dagger's Sojourn too, were often chosen for rivers.
charlie wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
Upstate Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Matt View Post
I just can't figure out how to attach the hardware to be able to fix the seat to the desired position.
Is there a way to fix the seat in any given position?

Where does the hardware attach to the seat?

Matt
Old 10-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
charlie wilson

I don't remember if the seat had a positive lock or relied on friction, but it has been a long time since the P15 was available. Send an image or two to chariewilson77@gmail.com and I'll try to help figure the puzzle.
charlie wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Upstate Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie wilson View Post
I don't remember if the seat had a positive lock or relied on friction, but it has been a long time since the P15 was available. Send an image or two to chariewilson77@gmail.com and I'll try to help figure the puzzle.
Thank you, I thought that this type of seat may have been used in other models.
I can't imagine friction holding this in place, that doesn't make it so though. I am guessing that there was a knob that screwed through the seat cross piece to hold it in place. Any of the few pics I can find don't show the seat well.

Now I have to figure out how to send pics. I just got a cell after close to 12 years without one!
Old 05-21-2016, 01:35 AM   #6
Upstate Matt

Update:

Thank you Charlie for your help. I stumbled across a picture that showed enough detail for me to see how this was put together and it is a friction deal. My order from Essex Industries arrived today; a hanger kit and a seat with a yoke like the original equipment!