Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
cuterocky
Kalie

Waterproofing bulkheads?

I have a Perception Conduit 13 kayak that has 2 supposed dry storage areas, 1 in the front and 1 in the back. I have never actually put anything inside of them but I am looking to possibly do some kayak camping this summer.

Unfortunately, the storage areas don't seem to keep dry anymore most likely due to a 70mph tumble the kayak took along with 2 others on the Thruway 2 year ago... (I told my dad we should have tied them down in the front/back but no he said.... they'll be fine he said.... Did I mention 1 of the 3 kayaks had already flew off other cars twice? ). On the plus side (and for everyone else's sake), my dad will never drive with a kayak on his roof again. And don't worry, I always properly secure my kayak when transporting it

Anyways, I'll probably end up packing everything in dry bags but it would be nice to seal the bulkheads to make the storage areas waterproof again. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this or what products to use? Thanks
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Do you know for sure that the bulkheads leak at the bulkhead/hull seam?
If so, you can use some 100% silicone caulk. Thee is also 3M 5200 sealant, made specifically for marine use, you can find that in small tubes at most any home improvement store.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:59 PM   #3
bluequill

Before spending time caulking the bulkheads determine if that is the issue.

While the kayak is on the ground, fill the cockpit at least halfway with water. Inspect both compartments for water leaking in.

Are the bulkheads made of foam or plastic?
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
groundhog

Don't use silicone caulk. If you ever have to re-seal the bulkheads it will be practically impossible, and silicone will get nasty over time. Use Lexcel. Comes in clear squeeze tubes. If it is indeed the bulkhead leaking, remove it completely and take off any residual sealant. Coat the edge with lexcel and push into place, remove any residual on the hull and run a bead around the bulkhead on both sides.
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
cuterocky
Kalie

I am 95% certain it is the bulkheads that are leaking. If I remember correctly from last year, if I don't get any water in the cockpit they stay dry, but if I do get water in the cockpit, they get wet. I'll double check when I take it out of winter storage from my friend's garage within the next few weeks. The bulkheads are made of foam

I have heard of Lexel, maybe I'll take a look into that. $6 on Amazon won't break the bank. Thanks for the tips!
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
bluequill

I used 3M 5200 sealant on the plastic bulkheads and hatch flanges of my fiberglass sea kayak with success. It's has been a few years and no leaks.
I'm not sure how well the 5200 would adhere to your foam bulkheads.

I have not used the Lexel sealant but it seems to get good reviews.

As with all boat projects/ repairs, prep and cleaning are key factors.

You could contact Perception and present your situation to them.....see what they suggest.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote