Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #1
Prometheus
Adrift

Wenonah Spirit II vs Wenonah Boundary Waters vs Souris River Quetico 17

Hey folks I'm looking for input on a couple different canoes. My Old Town Discovery 169 is starting to get a little awkward for me to put on top of the truck.

Looking at getting into a Kevlar canoe.

I've been researching a couple different boats. Looking at the Wenonah Spirit II and the Boundary Waters. Also thrown into the mix is a Souris River Quetico 17; and possibly the Northstar Northwind 17. 3 of the 4 are available to test paddle; the Quetico is the odd man out.

It will mostly be used as a tandem. When loaded; it will be for 4-7 day trips. Fishing stability is a must and is a slightly higher priority than efficiency. Just about anything will glide better than the Disco.... So that would be a step up.

Thanks

Last edited by Prometheus; 06-02-2016 at 01:54 AM..
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
charlie wilson

There are more sophisticated designs and constructions on the market. Among other things, there is no reason to accept zero rocker as useful. At similar price-point consider NorthStar at Oak Orchard on West side in your area. Lighter, stronger available from Swift; infusion, integral rails and composite trim bring weight down to mid 30's but increase price; at Bay Creek in West Webster, East of town.
charlie wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
WNYakker

We have a Northstar Northwind 17 that we got from Oak Orchard Canoe and we absolutely love it!!! Loaded up for 4-7 days without any problem.....We have only done 4 day trips so far, but loaded down does not seem to affect the performance.....Super lightweight and easy to carry/portage.....Fishes like a dream....We use it trolling for trout and pounding the banks for bass.....Very easy to control around cover and goes where you want it too.....We got GCI seats to add to the comfort and they work great! My wife did not like the buckets in the Spirit II and decided the Northwind was what she wanted....

Phil (from WNY)
Old 06-04-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
Prometheus
Adrift

Thank you for the replies.

The 90 or so lbs. for the Disco is tough on the shoulders. Most of the composite boats I've looked at are half the weight; and I'm fine with that.

They have a Northwind at Oak Orchard. It's a beautiful boat! It's on the will paddle before I buy list.

I guess I should say empty/unloaded stability; instead of fishing... The Discovery is great for that. It paddles the same empty as it does full; like a barge; slow!

The Swift's seam too nice for me; I'd feel horrible putting a scratch in them. Not that I'm looking for rocks to run over, but scratches happen!

I have a GCI sit backer; my back loves it! It doesn't work very well with the plastic Old Town seats though.