Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
markley

Potential "day" paddles

Hey all, I am new to this forum and joined in hopes to get some ideas for a trip my wife and I will be taking in late September. We will be driving up from western NC in late September to spend two weeks exploring the NE. We do have reservations to camp at Acadia Nat'l Park the weekend of Sept. 29, but will just be winging it the week before and after. We plan to explore some in the Adirondacks and/or White Mtns during these weeks. We will be bringing our sit on top kayaks along and were looking for some nice (scenic and secluded; well as secluded as we can get for only making a day out of it) paddles that we can do while in the area. We are pretty flexible as to where we can go and will be car camping. It looks as though the area has an overwhelming amount of lake/ponds/flows?(never heard of that term) to paddle. I will say our kayaks are 55 lbs and do not have a cart, although can get one if it would be worthwhile. Not looking for anyone's secret spots...just trying to make the most of our time there while avoiding crowds as much as possible.
Thanks in advance!
markley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
WBB

Adirondacks are big, so it helps to narrow down your focus to one area of the park. Around Tupper Lake where we are you have many choices. For late September a paddle up the Bog River to Low's upper dam which includes a climb up Low's Ridge would be one suggestion. No carries, flat water, with a nice hike to great views. Just one of many to consider.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Cedar River Flow could fit your wish list, especially if you go mid week. You can car camp there too.
Depending on your vehicle, you could also drive the old road to Cheney Pond. There's a drive to campsite there too. Paddle across the Pond and then paddle as much of the Boreas River as you can, the views get better and better as you approach the remains of Lester dam.
And if it's at all possible, borrow or buy a set of wheels so you can bring those SOT's to Henderson Lake, possibly one of the most scenic lakes in the Adirondacks. It's only 1/4 mile in on an old road, so the carry (or wheel) in should be easy enough.
You can also paddle some of the Raquette River from Axton Landing, again, midweek would be better.
You might also like Little Tupper Lake and Round Lake, not as scenic (IMHO) as the others, but easy access and some great natural sand beaches.
Photos and trip reports for all of these can be found with a quick search.
Let us know any other druthers and we can possibly help you find your paddling nirvanna.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
markley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBB View Post
Adirondacks are big, so it helps to narrow down your focus to one area of the park. Around Tupper Lake where we are you have many choices. For late September a paddle up the Bog River to Low's upper dam which includes a climb up Low's Ridge would be one suggestion. No carries, flat water, with a nice hike to great views. Just one of many to consider.
Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, still trying to narrow down an area..currently also considering a day hike in the High Peaks area (Gothics?) and also have looked into the Moose River Plains area.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
markley

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Cedar River Flow could fit your wish list, especially if you go mid week. You can car camp there too.
Depending on your vehicle, you could also drive the old road to Cheney Pond. There's a drive to campsite there too. Paddle across the Pond and then paddle as much of the Boreas River as you can, the views get better and better as you approach the remains of Lester dam.
And if it's at all possible, borrow or buy a set of wheels so you can bring those SOT's to Henderson Lake, possibly one of the most scenic lakes in the Adirondacks. It's only 1/4 mile in on an old road, so the carry (or wheel) in should be easy enough.
You can also paddle some of the Raquette River from Axton Landing, again, midweek would be better.
You might also like Little Tupper Lake and Round Lake, not as scenic (IMHO) as the others, but easy access and some great natural sand beaches.
Photos and trip reports for all of these can be found with a quick search.
Let us know any other druthers and we can possibly help you find your paddling nirvanna.
Thanks much!! Sounds like some great options! We will be driving a Ford Transit so can't really do much "off roading"..although am perfectly fine navigating forest roads as long as clearance allows. We are used to doing so in the western NC mtns. I can definitely borrow (or buy) wheels to cart our SOT's. Will have to look into Henderson Lake..sounds like just what I am looking for! Oh and we will be there during the week.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
snapper
snapper

If you look at the Raquette Lake area you could paddle up South Inlet to the falls. There is a parking area and access at the bridge that goes over the stream where it enters Raquette Lake. From there, depending on the weather, you could paddle onto Raquette and enter Brown's Tract Inlet near the village or travel up the Marion River. If the wind and waves aren't cooperative you can still get onto Brown's Tract inlet by entering the lake at the village. Camping is available in the area as well so it might be another option for you to investigate.

That's all for now. Best of luck with your trip. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
jblaser

I second the suggestion to paddle up the Bog River through Hitchins Pond and then the Upper Dam carry for the hike suggested. With an early start and a little more time, you could do the carry (it's about 100 yards) and check out the floating bog just a little ways upstream as well.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
markley

Thanks! As far as the put-in for the Bog River, would that be from Adirondack Park Preserve (road?) as is labeled in Google Map, just south of Horseshoe Lake? It also looks like a road goes to dam (?) between Hitchins and Lows?

Also, is there a trail that leads from Lows Lake?

I have never heard of a floating bog...sound interesting.

*Edit: just noticed that all of the roads are listed as Adirondack Park Preserve in that area?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #9
WBB

Turn on to County Rt. 421 off of State Rt. 30 about halfway between Long Lake and Tupper Lake. There is DEC sign at the turn. Stop at the Bog River Falls on the way in. There is a well marked parking lot at the put in at the lower dam. If you add the hike you will find the trail just to the right of the old foundation along the carry trail, it's a moderate hike of about a mile to the top of the ridge.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

On the way to Hitchins Pond

View from Hitchins Ridge

Old 08-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
markley

Wow..looks like a gorgeous area!! I also found a map showing that there are a number of camping spots around and near Horseshoe Lake.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
markley

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
So what is the road like to Cheney Pond? Passable with a Ford Transit van? I am really leaning towards Henderson Lake or Cheney Pond area since we also plan to do a hike or two in that vicinity (Gothics?). From what I can tell there does not appear to be any car camping at Henderson Lake, but appears to be a few off of Blue Ridge Rd near Cheney Pond, and maybe one at Cheney (if so, are you able to drive to this camp spot?). There don't appear to be too many designated car camp spots in that area. What are the chance one would be open on a weekday?
Old 08-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #13
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I drive a Honda Element to Cheney often...it's rough and rocky, just go slowly and it should be no problem.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

@markley: by “car camping” do you mean you have to have your tent near your car, or could you do a short paddle? There are some spots where it’s possible to do “primitive camping” just a short distance from the parking lot. Follensby Clear is one.

I suggest you order a copy of the Adirondack Paddlers Map. Only 20$ and waterproof to boot.

You picked a nice time of year to go. Far fewer people and bugs!

Pond = small lake. I believe all the big lakes are called lakes. Lila, Tupper, Saranacs...
Carry = what I always called a portage but I’m from Quebec.
Flow = a long narrow lake that possibly used to be a river.

PS: off topic, but I also suggest you look up the Maine Island Trail Association. Oceanic canoe camping!

Last edited by Titanium Spork; 08-09-2018 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: typo
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #15
markley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Spork View Post
@markley: by “car camping” do you mean you have to have your tent near your car, or could you do a short paddle? There are some spots where it’s possible to do “primitive camping” just a short distance from the parking lot. Follensby Clear is one.

I suggest you order a copy of the Adirondack Paddlers Map. Only 20$ and waterproof to boot.

You picked a nice time of year to go. Far fewer people and bugs!

Pond = small lake. I believe all the big lakes are called lakes. Lila, Tupper, Saranacs...
Carry = what I always called a portage but I’m from Quebec.
Flow = a long narrow lake that possibly used to be a river.

PS: off topic, but I also suggest you look up the Maine Island Trail Association. Oceanic canoe camping!
Thanks for the info! As far as camping, we are bringing our van which we outfitted and has all the amenities (bed, sink, fridge, stove, etc.) to make it easy to pack up and move about We will also be bringing along our backpacking gear to possibly do a paddle camp, but ideally we would like to be near the van.

I'll have to check out the Maine Island Trail Association! Especially since we will be heading over to Acadia for a few days on this trip!
Old 08-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #16
Rich Lockwood

phil Browns book is a great source for scads of day paddles
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #17
markley

Well we are loaded up and northbound!! Can't wait to get up there and explore! Should be in the area mid day Saturday. The forecast is looking nice for the weekend and early next week. I am thinking we may paddle camp for the harvest moon on Monday night. Any suggestions for a nice paddle site on water that doesn't require too long a hike? We are thinking of making a day trip out to Hitchins pond or Henderson already, so could camp at one of these I suppose. Just thought I'd like to check out a few different areas.

We are mobile so willing to go wherever the best area would be for that. Sounds like west side is best for paddling? And appears to be a ton of sites on a ton of lakes...almost overwhelming we will probably only be doing one night so trying to make most out of it.

We have 55lb SOT's but do have a kayak cart. So I am not opposed to making a few trips if its not to be far or strenuous.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by markley; Yesterday at 09:05 PM..
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by markley View Post
Well we are loaded up and northbound!! Can't wait to get up there and explore! Should be in the area mid day Saturday. The forecast is looking nice for the weekend and early next week. I am thinking we may paddle camp for the harvest moon on Monday night. Any suggestions for a nice paddle site on water that doesn't require too long a hike? We are thinking of making a day trip out to Hitchins pond or Henderson already, so could camp at one of these I suppose. Just thought I'd like to check out a few different areas.

We are mobile so willing to go wherever the best area would be for that. Sounds like west side is best for paddling? And appears to be a ton of sites on a ton of lakes...almost overwhelming we will probably only be doing one night so trying to make most out of it.

We have 55lb SOT's but do have a kayak cart. So I am not opposed to making a few trips if its not to be far or strenuous.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Heading to Henderson tomorrow (9/22)- Hornbeck over my shoulder.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:37 PM   #19

Stunning day on Henderson today. Not a soul on the water. Paddled all the way around, lunched on beach by the leanto. What a dramatic place.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote