Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
ecrepeau

Campsites and Lean-tos

What is the best way to find where campsites are located along the trails before making any trips into the areas?

Are there designated campsites near all the lean-tos?

I don't do Lean-tos as I have a dog and the two don't mix.
ecrepeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
zwarbyt

http://aprgis.org/argis/
zwarbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
ecrepeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarbyt View Post
Awesome, thank you.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Bob K

While the aprgis site is great, it certainly does not have all the designated campsites shown. Some current threads provide details on sites and you can verify that they are not all shown there. A lot of the lean-tos are shown. Don't always assume that you can set up a tent by a lean-to (and not in one).

You always have the 150ft rule (most areas), though finding a flat spot can be challenging.

The DEC web site has detailed campsite maps online for a few popular areas (used to have high peaks but I just looked and didn't see it). This link might be a bit dated but has good detail for High peaks area; http://practicaloutdoors.com/adk/maps/adkmaps.html
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Many of the tent sites shown on that site are not legal sites.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
ecrepeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
That is good to know. I will use both sites and verify before any trip via the forum if a campsite I have selected is indeed a legal site before heading out.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
tanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Just to clarify which of the two websites are you referring to? Or are both of them showing illegal sites?

I was going to use the maps on http://practicaloutdoors.com/adk/maps/adkmaps.html to try and find a site near colden/flowed lands this weekend are they mostly legal sites on that map or are they all illegal? Ultimately i'm sure i'll have to do some treking around to find a legal unoccupied site but i'd like to have some frame of reference to guide me.

I'll be getting in late in the day on a saturday (4 or 5 pm) and i'm worried i'm going to have a hard time finding somewhere to pitch a tent this weekend with the nice weather forcast.
tanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanston View Post
Just to clarify which of the two websites are you referring to? Or are both of them showing illegal sites?
I was referring to the APRGIS site.

AFAIK, the other maps are from the DEC, and should show legal sites... but those maps are also getting a bit old. Things have changed, some sites that were legal may be closed down by now.

It's not uncommon for the DEC (and other recreation management agencies) to "shuffle" sites around, particularly in popular areas... old sites get closed, new ones get opened. Then after a few years, the new sites are closed, and the old sites are re-opened. That way sits get a chance to "take a break" every so often.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote