3 pin boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 pin boots

The front extension of one of my Alico leather boots have started to separate so I need to look into either repair or replacement. The boots are in excellent shape other than that -- so I'm leaning towards repair, however I don't want to be without the boots for an extended period of time. There is no place local that would repair so I'd have to ship out.

So -- suggestions on any place that will replace the vibram base on my boot, or suggestions on online retailers other than the traditional Amazon, REI or STP?

I can get a new pair of Alicos from STP for $179, which I'll probably do if nothing better is apparent -- but would consider alternatives as well.

Usage will be ungroomed, off trail terrain in the Adirondacks and local to me,

Thanks in advance...

What size are you? I've got plenty of ski boots sitting around unused this winter, and I am sure many other forum members do to. Ebay always has a couple of screamin' deals on used leather 3 pins if you look hard enough.

Comment

I wear a size 10, and eBay has a used pair of Karhus and a new pair of Rossignols in my size that I'm watching.

Comment

I have a pair of Asolo Snowpines in a size 10 if you are interested. They are broken in but in very good condition.

Having used both old and modern boots, I'd not go back to the old boots. Believe it or not the new boots actually have more support and flex better for touring. You may not buy into it, but don't knock it until you try it.

Best thought off the top of my head is to look into a boot called the Crispi Svartisen. You can buy them from http://www.telemarkdown.com/

They are leather, have two light buckles and an exo-skeleton. There is a TON of padding in between the composite skeleton and your ankle, so it's unlikely to bother your foot. It's stiff side to side when buckled up, but has hardly any impedance to your stride. The duckbill on these boots is fairly stout, and stiff but the mid-sole, right near the ball of your foot is rather soft. They forward flex very, very smoothly. No toe pinch for me either.

Talk to the Fey Bros, but this boot runs a little big. You'd probably be a 43 if you wear a traditional Asolo or the like size 10.

You can also order them from http://en.aventurenordique.com/ in France if the Fey Bros ran out.

They are actually cheaper to buy from Europe, but returns are costly. Keep in mind you don't pay VAT in the US and there are no taxes to import a boot like this. I know from experience. I bought a pair here in the US and two from France. It's not as painful as you think.
        Last edited by montcalm; 01-27-2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Are they splitting between the holes? These might help depending on the issue:
          This website is for sale! orscrosscountryskisdirect.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, orscrosscountryskisdirect.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

The boot is splitting straight across the front, about 3/4" in right after the holes.

I had forgotten about ors -- that's a good site to bookmark.

There's a place in CO that will charge $110 to replace the vibram sole on my boot, probably will buy new rather than spend that for a repair.

Comment

Like Montcalm, I would not return to leathers ether. Modern plastic boots are no heavier than a big leather boot. They are warmer and way more comfortable due to the liners, and the toe bellows just collapses when you flex your foot while striding, thus eliminating any possiblity of toe pinch common in leathers. And lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the foot beds of the plastic boots are stiff tortionally. By that I mean if you take a plastic boot by the toe and heel and try to twist it you cannot, where you will be able to twist a leather boot. This is important if you want to be able to control the edges of a wide bc ski. This is a critical feature which no amount of ankle support above the sole can compensate for. The tele markdown site mentioned above has two light bc boots you might consider. I love my Garmont Excursions, and the site also lists a Crispy CXX which might also fill the bill.

Comment

Oh I'm still advocating leather boots. The Svartisen is leather. Molded Vibram sole with an exo-skeleton.

For my foot, it's far, far, far more comfortable than a plastic boot. It's waterproof and breathable (Gore-tex). Warm... insulated. And most important you can actually still make a Nordic stride with it.

It's not as stiff torsionally as a plastic boot, no leather boot will be that can actually flex naturally. It does however provide a much, much better fit and flex (in the right spots) than the old Norwegian welted boots that I've tried. Being able to mold the sole and design the last around a better foot model along with added feature in the boot to allow natural foot flex has really come alive in new leather boots.

FWIW I wouldn't touch a Rossi leather boot with a 10' pole. Every report from everyone I know that has any of the models was not happy with them. Karhu didn't make a lot of great boots either. Consider this. If it's being sold on eBay and it's not new, then there's probably a reason that person is getting rid of it.

I'll be quite honest, my Asolos are torture devices for my feet.

Comment

The first year I had my Alicos I was very disappointed, but since then they've nicely broken in and now fit great. Can easily spend all day in them with no discomfort.

A friend of mine has a pair of Garmont hybrid leather/plastic that he likes, but Garmont doesn't seem to make that anymore.

Not seriously considering either the Converts or Rossi boots.

Comment

My Asolos are broken in, they have a couple things I don't like about them though that hurt my feet, mainly the internal plastic cuff. It doesn't conform to the heel and that's where they always hurt me.

Now if you are deadset on the Norwegian welt, the Crispi Antarctic or Sydpolen do not have any internal plastic that may hurt you. They are all leather and insulation but have the stiff, traditional Vibram sole.

I know a couple guys who use them and they love them. I'm considering getting a pair myself because there are some things I like about that old Vibram sole.

I'm told the sizing on the Sydpolen and the Antarctic is the same as the Svartisen, a touch large.

Fey Bros at Telemarkdown have them, at least in limited supply, so they may not have your size.

Neptune carries them too:

Neptune has Colorado's best backcountry skiing selection for novice and expert skiers alike. Shop brands like Blizzard, Voile, DPS, Asnes and lots more. All the gear to get you on snow.

They also have the Mountains, which I would avoid. Crispi discontinued these to my knowledge but they have a major flaw. The laces don't go high enough to really seat your heel for the stiffness of the sole. I tried a pair and I was unable to get them tied so my heel would stay down. The Antarctic has a much better lacing system and a bit higher cut.

The Alaska is A GREAT boot. I had a pair of the 75mm and they are the most comfortable boot I've ever owned. An absolute joy from day one and never get worse. I ditched the 75mm version though because the duckbill is so thin and the sole so soft I had trouble really handling some of my skis on hills. It's possible, but they are bit twistier than I like. The NNN-BC version is a much different boot. The sole is incredibly stiff. You can get away with that with a toe bar pivot binding. I use both NNN-BC and 75mm, but some people just want to stick to one or the other. I like both and both have strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, if you happen to get something from Neptune, consider treating yourself to a pair of Asnes skis. Their new XCD lineup is awesome. A little different than what is being marketed in America, but if you like wax skis that are beautifully made and designed to be skied in the mountains, they are something to consider.
                    Last edited by montcalm; 01-28-2016, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Looking at the Alaska now -- wide range of prices on that boot, from $299 at Cascade Ski Center to $219 at OMC and $249 at ORS. Seem to be mostly excellent reviews online.

Talked to Cascade Ski Center, which has them in stock. I'll be in that area next week and would prefer to try them on before buying, and I'm going to want to ski next week(weather permitting) and may have to bite the bullet on $299. I don't mind paying extra to a smaller/local business but $80 is a big difference.

Comment

I'd definitely recommend trying on the Alaska as it's sizing is weird as well. Some people think they run big, other think they run small. I think they are pretty true to size in length but a tad narrow at the ball.

They have a really stiff rand around the upper part of the sole, so don't expect them to stretch... they don't. If they feel too tight, size up.

Also a word of warning, the insole on the stock Alaska is about the worst thing ever made. It's just a poorly cut piece of sponge and it will slide around.

If you have inserts in your current boots, take them along and be sure to try them with the boots. Also will give you a better idea on sizing.

Now I've been around the Alaska a lot, and I know a lot of people who own them. There's one thing you might notice when you wear them in the store. The tongue feels a little weird and bunchy right over the instep. I can attest, and everyone learns this, they don't feel that way skiing. After your first few strides it settles in and you'll never notice it. I think it's purposely designed in that area to flex really well. That's why they have the nylon lace loop there and the nylon reliefs.

Another quick thing. Now is about the worst time to buy new boots. Any boot, but particularly the Alaska if history is any guide. They'll typically be on sale for $150 sometime in the summer. I think I paid a little over $200 for my first pair got wise for my NNN pair and snagged a set for around $150.

I know people that love these boots so much they own two or three pairs so they'll never be without them.

Comment

Years ago the sole on my Merrill 3 pin leather boot started to crack by the 3 holes. There was on internal metal plate to reinforce this area and I guess it was a known issue that over time the sole would crack just behind the 3 holes. I had new soles installed on the boots by
                          Onion River Cobber in Winooski, VT. Still have the boots (30 years old), but don't use them too often. But those leather boots are just so comfortable, its fun to use them every so often.

Comment

I'll give Onion River Cobbler a call -- thanks for the tip. If they're still around anyway: http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/a...nt?oid=3015990

Comment

I believe they are still open and have not yet found a buyer. They also seemed like a place that doesn't answer a phone :-) given that the place was just stacked with shoes. There is a shoe cobbler in Williston, VT called Town Cobbler, but I have not used them.

Also, if you need a contact local to these shops I'd be happy to help. I pass thru Williston every day and work a couple of miles from the Winooski shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X