Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you ski in the Adirondacks?
I ski at downhill resorts 29 41.43%
I ski at cross country centers 19 27.14%
I ski backcountry steeps alpine touring 12 17.14%
I ski backcountry steeps telemark 16 22.86%
I ski backcountry cross country 47 67.14%
I prefer snowshoes 13 18.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
montcalm
Mobster

Adirondack Skiing

How do you ski in the Adirondacks?
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Hard Scrabble

I skied Whiteface long ago when the daily fee was only six dollars.
I gave up downhill skiing when I couldn't afford to take my kids with me. I didn't make much money back in those days.
So, I and my kids took up back country skiing.
From the southern Adirondacks to as far north as Tupper Lake.
Overnight trips to the Cedar River dam from Perkins Clearing via Pillsbury Lake.
Day trips from Northville to Silver Lake and from Axton Landing to Raquette Falls.
The ski from 13th Lake to Siamese Lakes was a favorite, as well as the same ski from the trailhead from Rte 8.
Cross country ski centers never interested me, all you do is go around in circles.
I've put many miles in on snowshoes, but mainly while hunting white rabbits.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Harvey44

Gore, Siamese Ponds Wilderness, Vanderwhacker Wild Forest, Garnet Hill, our own property (XCD), occasionally Whiteface, that one slide that everyone skis that you are not allowed to mention.

Last edited by Harvey44; 10-01-2015 at 08:20 PM..
Harvey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
I've put many miles in on snowshoes, but mainly while hunting white rabbits.
Jim
I've chased a few white rabbits myself...
Old 10-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Hard Scrabble

It's great fun!
I really didn't care if we killed the rabbit, the most fun was listening to the dogs.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

Yeah I heard lots of things too.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Although I do downhill ski lift served areas, and also X-C ski on ADK trails, by far my favorite is backcountry steeps with AT gear.
And since I'm exposing my selectivity (pickiness), I prefer north facing open hardwoods with consistent pitch...Leave the slide skiing to those that can catch the fleeting powder conditions. I'll take week old powder in the trees any day!! Even better if I can follow a drainage that has less deadfall.

I guess I'm not the only one that's anxious to get out this season, eh?
Old 08-27-2016, 06:40 AM   #8
dpc34

hope we have snow this winter or it could be a micro spike winter again...here's wishing
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
hope we have snow this winter or it could be a micro spike winter again...here's wishing

I apologize in advance for ruining winter. I bought a new tele setup this year. Boots, bindings, skis. Waiting on some new skins.

So, likely yes, I'll be riding my MTB in February in shorts.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #10
electbc
Outdoorsman

The long-range weather forecast for 2017 including winter 2016-2017 forecast has been issued by The Old Farmer’s Almanac! GENERAL LONG-RANGE WEATHER 2017
Get ready for a shift from last year! For the winter of 2016–2017, we expect temperatures to be much colder than last winter but still above normal. Winter 2017 will also feature below-normal snowfall overall; the snowy exception is the northern tier of the U.S., which can expect to be blanketed in white.
Winter will be colder in much of the eastern two-thirds of the nation. Exceptions will be in a swatch from North Dakota to Maine, which will have below-normal temperatures. Most of the Pacific states will have below-normal temperatures, with above-normal temperatures in the Intermountain region and Desert Southwest.
Snowfall will be above normal from southern New England and western New York southward through the Appalachians, but not in northern New England. Snowfall with also be above what’s typical from eastern Minnesota to the UP (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan and southward to St. Louis, Missouri; and from central North Dakota westward to the Pacific. We expect below-normal snowfall in most other places that normally receive snow.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:52 AM   #11
richard1726
46er2618

Snowshoe up snowboard down.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #12
TCD

Well if the Farmers are right, it looks like we are in a run of "alternating winters."

2014-15 was amazingly cold and snowy. Here at my house in Keene we got two feet of snow on Thanksgiving; snow all winter and below zero every week; no January thaw; and we did not see the ground again until April. In fact, February 2015 was the coldest February on record, and the fourth coldest month overall on record. (Of course you didn't hear much about this winter because it doesn't fit the currently popular narrative...)

Then of course 2015-16 was very warm will little or no snow.

So if the coming winter is cold again, that will be nice for skiing and snowshoeing.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #13
electbc
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Well if the Farmers are right, it looks like we are in a run of "alternating winters."

2014-15 was amazingly cold and snowy. Here at my house in Keene we got two feet of snow on Thanksgiving; snow all winter and below zero every week; no January thaw; and we did not see the ground again until April. In fact, February 2015 was the coldest February on record, and the fourth coldest month overall on record. (Of course you didn't hear much about this winter because it doesn't fit the currently popular narrative...)

Then of course 2015-16 was very warm will little or no snow.

So if the coming winter is cold again, that will be nice for skiing and snowshoeing.
How often are they correct?
Old 11-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #14
TCD

So far so good this year...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #15
electbc
Outdoorsman

Yes

Stay cold, no thaws!