Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Near North Creek we got about 10".

We heard some whomphing while snowshoeing my xc trails. Usually means an unstable layer. Might be a good idea to do some test pits if you're skiing slides.

Have fun, Be careful.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
St.Regis

Here's another snow depth map

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi...now_depth.html
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
Frhill

There is great skiing in the Saranac Lake area. The recent storm dropped 8-10" and conditions are good. The base was a little thin, so use caution in the woods and going down hills, but the rock skis can be put away.
Frhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #24
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Any news from this past weekend? I'm guessing most areas lost their snow.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
Alpine1

We still have 1' of snow on the ground in the village of Old Forge.
BC ski conditions after the freeze will be excellent once it snows again.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Four wet inches on the ground here on Diamond Point. Still melting.

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #27
Bob K

Benson toward Rock Lake XC ski 12/27/13

Two of us skied thru the new 5+ over the remaining base from the earlier dumping but made it only 2 miles in. The last prior sign-in was Thurs 12/19 and some track could be seen up until we turned abound. With the melt off pre-Christmas, numerous tricky water crossings and two brief ski removals it was slow going. Coverage over rocks only marginal with some evident and often limited skiable path. Until more packed snow, Id recommend metal edge skis and something wider than touring skis.

Not long after the bridge over W Stony Creek the trail up thru a gully was not skiable for many yards as there were no good snow bridges and some running water. The weather however was perfect high 20s, no wind, partial sunshine & some flurries. First mile up/down to the bank of the creek best stretch to ski, but maneuvering required in a few spots.

Lapland Lake XC center had primo conditions (per my daughter) and had a good crowd. We saw no one else on the N-P trail. 6-8 off trail. Packed trail only a few inches deep and not well set.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
Wldrns

Good XC on the BREIA trails and off trail in the woods near Boonville yesterday and today. Tug Hill has many inches of fluffy new snow over a deep hard older base.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #29
Tick Magnet

Up in the Brant Lake area today, 2"-4" granular in the woods, icy crust on the snowmobile trails. Not ideal for skiing although good for walking.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #30
ADK123

Ice topped with about 2 inches of snow up in the Blue Mtn. Lake area yesterday. Didn't even bring my skis, didn't want to listen to them complain. Rain started while on my way out of the woods.
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Heading out tomorrow morning. Praying for the upper end of the 3" forecast!
Old 12-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #32
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Anyone planning on skiing in northern ADK should be prepared for "blowdown" (icedown) on the BC trails and in the woods - the ice storm did enough damage to bring down numerous limbs and larger chunks (snapped tree trunks).
SRCA has numerous base (snow pack) washouts on Fish Pond truck trail (esp. the North side of "heartbreak" hill) in addition to trees across the trail (skied on 12/25) Icy base with light powder coating on top. Lake ice was in decent shape, but always check (yourself) before crossing.
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #33
TCD

Aspect will make a big difference - drove through Cascade Pass just now, some snow on the N facing side, but the S facing (Pitchoff) side was mostly bare ground with some patches of snow. Also there is a temperature inversion - right now at my house in Keene at 1800' it's 42F. It's clouding up, but I'm expecting rain right from the start. Maybe it will cool off...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #34
yellowcanoe

http://www.jackrabbittrail.org/conditions.html

Ick for you guys. We have gotten some 20-25 inches of snow this week in Western Maine/White Mtns..if anyone wants superb b/c skiing this is the place. Twelve inches in four hours tonight! Powder!( sog was forecast but it seems like fluff)

Two skiers got caught in an avalanche. Snow on top of ice is not usually a good thing.

More snow forecast for later in the week. We are on a two storm a week cycle and I heard that its expected to persist for some weeks.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #35
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

I was in North Creek today. Stopped at Garnet Hill, they didn't get much snow and they didn't have the skis setup for my wife to demo so we went next door.

Siamese Ponds WA in the north is very icy and crusty. Skiing would be nearly impossible, trail was great with short snowshoes and would have been fine with spikes.

On the way up Morehouse to Speculator looked promising, lots of fresh snow there. Only had one set of skis though. I'm kind of ticked with GH, wish I would have went to Old Forge, bet they had fresh snow and I could have had her demo skis at Mountain Man.

SPWA was really nice though... cold... but nice.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #36
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
I was in North Creek today. Stopped at Garnet Hill, they didn't get much snow and they didn't have the skis setup for my wife to demo so we went next door.

Siamese Ponds WA in the north is very icy and crusty. Skiing would be nearly impossible, trail was great with short snowshoes and would have been fine with spikes.

On the way up Morehouse to Speculator looked promising, lots of fresh snow there. Only had one set of skis though. I'm kind of ticked with GH, wish I would have went to Old Forge, bet they had fresh snow and I could have had her demo skis at Mountain Man.

SPWA was really nice though... cold... but nice.

4" = dust on solid crust. Conditions on TGC would have been decent and no snowmobile noise to contend with
Old 01-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #37
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Some fresh snow in North Creek. Was at GH and there actually was some powder off the side of the trails. The groomed trails were actually pretty nice, not hard or icy.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #38
Wldrns

Lake Ontario turned on again yesterday and last night. More than 10 inches on Tug Hill Montague area, while nearby BREIA accumulated at least 6 inches of fresh new powder on top of a healthy crusty base.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #39
Alpine1

Nearly 2' in Old Forge. Roads were closed last night due to BLIZZARD conditions. Back to normal today.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #40
skimorebumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
Nearly 2' in Old Forge. Roads were closed last night due to BLIZZARD conditions. Back to normal today.
hmm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (83.2 KB, 68 views)
skimorebumps is offline   Reply With Quote