Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Recurring itch

It seems every year around this time I develop a sort of itch.
Look below, this was just 55 weeks ago...

Anyone else develop this same affliction?

Old 11-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
mothermenke

I've developed this itch in years past, but found that there's a simple over the counter anti-fungal cream that clears it right up. Oh and I too am looking forward to a little sliding on snow.
mothermenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

When I wore a younger man's clothes I did a lot of that. Owned downhill and tele skis. I wouldn't mind giving it another shot..............maybe in the next life.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
When I wore a younger man's clothes I did a lot of that. Owned downhill and tele skis. I wouldn't mind giving it another shot..............maybe in the next life.
C'mon,
I'll be 60 years old on my next b'day and in 10 years time I expect to be able to still ski backcountry trees and steeps on my AT gear. Maybe not so aggressively, but I do plan to be out there.
I have a ski buddy that remained on the ski school staff at Mad River when he was 75!!
Old 11-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
C'mon,
I'll be 60 years old on my next b'day and in 10 years time I expect to be able to still ski backcountry trees and steeps on my AT gear. Maybe not so aggressively, but I do plan to be out there.
I have a ski buddy that remained on the ski school staff at Mad River when he was 75!!
Good point. I'll consider it. Wouldn't mind some downhill carving.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Redbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
WATCH THIS VIDEO and I bet you'll reconsider your "maybe in the next life" statement... What an inspiration to all in the outdoor world. So true that skiing is a lifestyle.

http://www.tetongravity.com/video/sk...0-some-on-skis
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #7
Redbeard

Quote:

I am absolutely afflicted, bro. I cannot wait to put on the planks and fly in that sweet sweet freedom that they bring!!!
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:06 AM   #8
Justin

Quote:
It seems every year around this time I develop a sort of itch....

Yup, very much looking forward to winter fun, but I'm not through with fall just yet.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:

[
I gave up my snowboard last year and it hurt. One too many yard sales in my youth messed up my neck bones, and the doc told me to avoid "falling down the stairs, getting into car accidents, or anything else that could result in neck injury." So I decided I liked backpacking more than sliding down a hill on a slippery plank, but I still miss it.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yup, very much looking forward to winter fun, but I'm not through with fall just yet.
Justin,
You could join me in the backcountry this winter...you could snowshoe up and use your alpine gear to ski down. Not the best combo, but once you taste natural untracked powder, it'll be hard to go back to those glazed surfaces at Jiminy!!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #11
Justin

Quote:
Justin,
You could join me in the backcountry this winter...you could snowshoe up and use your alpine gear to ski down. Not the best combo, but once you taste natural untracked powder, it'll be hard to go back to those glazed surfaces at Jiminy!!
Thanks Mike.
I'd love to join you sometime, we've talked about it for a few years now.
Hopefully this winter it'll happen, and it certainly won't be my first time skiing untracked powder.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #12
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

So, one year to the day from my photo above, Brawnyman and I went to our favorite BC skiing spot to clear deadfall. Sure looked different yesterday.

We did a big, CCW loop, climbing around the cliffs that Brawnyman always talks about. I gotta say, it's an impressive and friendly little band, ranging from 10 to 25 feet of true vertical, and a total drop of around 50 feet. There's even some stair step drops that my old legs would tolerate!!
From the summit, we worked down along skiers right, and dragged out some deadfall from my favorite lines in the trees. It's a little intimidating to see the terrain without snow cover, surprisingly steep and rugged! A couple of the drainages look to be supreme lines, once everything freezes and fills in with powder.
In some spots, I'm sure a heavy frost would be good enough for a few turns.
Other spots, well, a few feet will be needed.
Just a nice day on the mountain, despite the rain, heavy fog and below freezing temps. Feels like home for me, much like Hickory and Plattekill, except no lifts, no crowds, no noises.

Last edited by stripperguy; 11-30-2015 at 07:48 AM..
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #13
Fisheater

Looks like a really cool place Stripperguy. I really like the way it is mostly covered in vegetation, deadfall can be a problem, rocks that only have a bit of fluff over them when it is all filled in are downright dangerous. It seems like you have a really nice place, wide enough for turns, narrow enough to protect the snow. I wish I could see it in person, photos never do any justice to the steepness factor.
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #14
yardsale

I'll turn 65 in 10 days. At this age I have an even greater sense of urgencyaround back country skiing as I don't know how much longer I can ski at my current level. Ski every day as if it was your last.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:11 AM   #15
nutmeg creeker

My itch gets worse every passing day without snow.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #16
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I'll turn 65 in 10 days. At this age I have an even greater sense of urgencyaround back country skiing as I don't know how much longer I can ski at my current level. Ski every day as if it was your last.
Last year, I was BC skiing alone, in light knee deep, untracked powder. The day was perfect, sunny, cold, no wind. I was on, every downhill run effortless and fun.
On my 3rd run, I paused to enjoy the surroundings, and was suddenly bummed out.
How could that be, you ask??
Well, at 59 years old, I wondered, "How many more of these days can I enjoy?"
I've made peace with it, knowing that I might, might be able to ski backcountry for another ten years, if I'm lucky and careful. Time will tell...
But I have adopted a similar view as you, soak up all you can, because you never know when it will end!
And hopefully I'll have my memories intact, of all those perfect days and the feel of my skis softly rising over countless ledges, hearing the quiet ssss of my skis in the snow.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #17
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Last year, I was BC skiing alone, in light knee deep, untracked powder. The day was perfect, sunny, cold, no wind. I was on, every downhill run effortless and fun.
On my 3rd run, I paused to enjoy the surroundings, and was suddenly bummed out.
How could that be, you ask??
Well, at 59 years old, I wondered, "How many more of these days can I enjoy?"
I hear you on that one. You have a few years on me, but more and more as I age, I find that nostalgia is built into the moment. It's an odd feeling. It's almost like I'm already missing something that I'm actually doing, if that makes any sense.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
PaulK

The way I'm looking at things is if you still have the "desire" to ski in the backcountry and tour and turn, you will find an outlet somewhere (terrain selection) no matter your age. Being an optimist here.

By the way, what kind of skis are you guys on? I'm heavily xcd and old school teles with my various leather boots.

I love my Fischer S-bound series and older wax Black Diamond's 72-55-65 and wax Madshus Glittertinds 68-55-somethin
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #19
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Paul,
I have a pair of Rossi Scratches, uhmmm, 180's?, with some bullet proof Marker's on them. Good float, heavy, clumsy binding.
I also have my favorites, a pair of Fisher Watea's, also around 180 cm, and 84 under foot. These have Fritchi Freerides on them. Pretty light, bindings are easy to live with. The Watea's are great in all snow conditions, the best I've ever had for breakable crust.

Both of those skis, as well as most of my backcountry buddy's skis, are plain old alpine skis with AT bindings. The terrain we ski requires skins from bottom to top, no hope of fishscale bottoms or any sort of uphill skate. Once we all resigned to the notion that skins are required all the time, ski choice became wide open. Any lightweight, powerful ski is just fine, sidecut? Who cares! If you need edges, the skiing sucks!!

With that said, I freely admit that I skied Killington a week or so ago, and will likely ski there again this week. I've found that I have to ski at least a little when the snow is lousy, just so I can really enjoy the skiing when the powder is great!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #20
PaulK

I see, you guys are in it for the down. I'm holding onto the belief that somewhere out there there's a set up on which I can tour and turn (with skins if needed) equally well. So I'm into xcd. I love touring too much to ever sway from light set ups, but I like turns as well. I'd rather just learn how to turn on my xcd skis. No one seems to care when I occasionally show up (when conditions are favorable since I not real good at telemark) on my 55 underfoot and double leather boots at Royal Mountain. It's all fun.

Going back to your original theme, so well expressed, I wish you a long and prosperous skiing life! And maybe I'll learn someday where that secret backcountry hill in your picture is

Last edited by PaulK; 01-19-2016 at 08:51 AM..
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote