Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
ceebsonline

Powley Piseco Road...gross

Hey everyone, I just took my first trip up to the Powley Piseco road near Piseco lake to do a little paddling on the East Canada Creek. I was also scouting out the roadside campsites to see if they would work for a buddy of mine to do some non-campground family camping with his young kids. The sites seemed like they had a lot of potential, but when I pulled up to the bridge I was going to launch at, I was met by a drunk guy blaring music from his rv/campsite that had obviously been set up for WEEKS. OK, one drunk guy, no biggie. Then I hit the water, and everything was great, until the shooting started. There were literally HUNDREDS of gunshots, for hours, from at least three different campsites along the creek. It didn't seem to matter where I paddled, I was either met with frat party style howling or the killing fields of Cambodia. Kinda killed my mojo. I realize that your not exactly going to get the serenity of a backcountry campsite along the road, but is this normal? I had read a lot of good things about the sites along this road, so I'm hoping I just caught it on a really bad weekend. Has anyone else had an experience like this? I'd feel kind of bad if my friend's 4-year old got invited to a kegger and then shot.
ceebsonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
Grey-Jay

This happened to my wife and I last year at that creek. we started to put in and the guy at that creekside campsite started shooting. turns out that I and some forum members know his name recognized by the large american flag hanging from his tarp and his blog trip reports. We left and did not paddle. I am not antigun at all but wanted to paddle in peace.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
bosco

contact the local forest rangers and conservation officers for that area.

I was fishing in that area a couple of years ago, one of the stream side campsites was littered with trash. Homemade toilet left and toilet paper and all sorts of trash everywhere. I called the local dec office for that area and talked to them about it. They had the local forest ranger contact me to give them specific location. From what I remember of conversation this was a on going problem in that area.

I ran into some of the locals as well that were camping pretty close by. I wasn't real impressed.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Bounder45

Target shooting is allowed on state land, unless otherwise posted and prohibited. I can't comment on the nature and behaviors of the people who were target shooting in this instance, but there are quite a few areas that attract target shooters due to ease of access, natural backstops, lack of trails, ect.

If you want a "serene" camp site all to yourself, I'd recommend finding an area that allows for more dispersed camping (Moose River Plains WF is a good area for road camping) or otherwise going on foot to one of the hundreds of remote campsites that exist throughout the ADK's. In a place like the ADK's, where the camping opportunities are almost limitless, you really have no room to complain. Get out, explore and go find an isolated spot to camp if you want peace and quiet.

Also comparing your experience to the "killing fields of Cambodia" is a bit over the top.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
ceebsonline

I understand that yelling and shooting is legal. I'm just looking to tap the collective wisdom of the forum and find out if this is common along Powley Piseco road, or if my first visit happened to be on an abnormally rowdy weekend. It seems like the consensus is that this is common, and I should not recommend this area to my friend for family camping. Perhaps I will tell him that if he wants some peace and quiet, he should find an isolated spot. I hadn't thought of that.
ceebsonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebsonline View Post
I understand that yelling and shooting is legal. I'm just looking to tap the collective wisdom of the forum and find out if this is common along Powley Piseco road, or if my first visit happened to be on an abnormally rowdy weekend. It seems like the consensus is that this is common, and I should not recommend this area to my friend for family camping. Perhaps I will tell him that if he wants some peace and quiet, he should find an isolated spot. I hadn't thought of that.
If you're camping in an area that is easily accessed and has car campsites, yes you should generally expect there to be more noise and interactions than if you were camping in the middle of West Canada Lakes. I'm not condoning people acting like hooligans, especially late into the night, but it is what it is.
That said, there are car camping areas (Moose River Plains WF is one such area) that allow for peace and quiet, despite the easy access, since most of the campsites are dispersed from one another and the campsites don't normally see a lot of usage outside of holiday and hunting season weekends.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
Banjoe

The one time I was there looking for old growth nearby, the campsites looked so bad I didn't think I'd could ever stay at one. Even if you pick up the macro garbage, the micro is endless. Not too far away, south of Old Forge, is McKeever Rd. off 28 that has road side camping. I was there when the snow was 3' deep so don't have an idea of what kind of use it gets, but the old rail bed might offer easy hiking/biking for young kids.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

And some people want to make Gulf Brook Road into Boreas Ponds 'easy access' like Powley-Piseco Rd, complete with "Glamping" opportunities....
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #9
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

we have been to the east canada 4 times this year, the last time was Sunday, the 30th. the same guy camps at that put-in site, he has always been very friendly and considerate. told me he has a permit to camp for the summer, which i take w/ a grain of salt. we've always had very quiet and peaceful paddles, never any disturbances at all. we've checked almost every campsite along the road, most are cleaner than the DEC camps. i guess we've been really lucky 4X in the last month and a half, or you just hit a bad day. that said, we have not camped there, just paddled. i posted a trip report a couple weeks ago, on this very stretch of water, it's my new favorite spot...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
we have been to the east canada 4 times this year, the last time was Sunday, the 30th. the same guy camps at that put-in site, he has always been very friendly and considerate. told me he has a permit to camp for the summer, which i take w/ a grain of salt. we've always had very quiet and peaceful paddles, never any disturbances at all.
I've often said that pleasant & positive conversation often yields positive results.
Don't be one that says nothing at the time, but then complains about it on the internet later.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #11
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I've often said that pleasant & positive conversation often yields positive results.
Don't be one that says nothing at the time, but then complains about it on the internet later.
my MHB always says i talk too much w/ the locals, and really anyone i meet, but that's the best source to find all the hidden gems. yeah, and lurking on sites like this...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #12
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
my MHB always says i talk too much w/ the locals, and really anyone i meet, but that's the best source to find all the hidden gems. yeah, and lurking on sites like this...

I'm not quite sure what "MHB" is, but I agree that friendly conversation often works, granted not always.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
Bounder45

Quote:
And some people want to make Gulf Brook Road into Boreas Ponds 'easy access' like Powley-Piseco Rd, complete with "Glamping" opportunities....
Lots of other areas have easy access and don't seem to have a problem...Moose River Plains and Independence River WF among them.

I don't mind glamping opportunities, as long as it is well managed and regulated. It would bring more tourist dollars into that area than if we just closed off all the roads and made it accessible by foot travel only.

And if you feel like you're beating a dead horse, why did you bring up that topic?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #14
dundee

It's not quite dead....we are in serious danger of losing the Boreas Ponds to extreme overuse; having the road remain open and the state wanting to build a hotel.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Yeah sorry Bounder, I couldn't resist throwing that out there.
I know we disagree on what's best for the Boreas Ponds, and I'm just a little concerned that similar things will inevitably start happening there as well, as they do in many other areas with easy access throughout the Adks, not to mention the legitimate threat to the native trout species. It'd be nice to think that those bad things would never happen at Boreas Ponds, and everything would be strickly regulated & enforced and eveything kept all hunky-dory, but I have little faith that will end up being the case with an already understaffed enforcement presence in some of these areas that have easy access, and where things like this incident often occur. Thinking positive, and as long as it brings in the money then it's all good I guess.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
It's not quite dead....we are in serious danger of losing the Boreas Ponds to extreme overuse; having the road remain open and the state wanting to build a hotel.
What? Is Trump part of the APA?

And yeah... it's all about the money
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
...And yeah... it's all about the money
Right, because the towns of Stratford & Piseco are really thriving thanks to the easy access opportunities along the Powely Piseco Road.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #18
mohawk
chief

Quote:
Right, because the towns of Stratford & Piseco are really thriving thanks to the easy access opportunities along the Powely Piseco Road.

hahahahahaha....that's real funny!
Southern Hamilton County is thriving like never before.
Lot of tourists dollars spending there for sure.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
No doubt because of the help from that "Great South Woods Project" idea a few yesrs ago I'm sure.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #20
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
Yes those tourist from 2 towns over spending their money on natural light
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote