Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i started hunting and fishing the ADK's back in the 50's.
    Took my first deer at age 18.
    Moved to Keeseville, NY in the early 60's.
    Carried my Chestnut canoe to places you would not have dreamed about fishing for Brook Trout. How about the carry from the Wilmington Notch to Winch Pond??
    Hunted deer in the High peaks, alone.
    Hunted deer in the Siamese area, cross country skied from the southern ADK's to Tupper Lake, over night camping was a lot of fun.
    This is not "bragging", I've done it.

Jim
    Last edited by Neil; 10-04-2015, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Hello my name is Michael and I work as a network engineer for the New York State school system. I am 36 years old and divorced. I have a 4 year old son who enjoys hiking as well but he has a little ways to go before he starts hitting the high peaks. My grandfather and father were always outdoors people so I grew up in the woods and in camp which is several miles back in the woods. I always enjoyed this but I didn't start hiking until much later in life.

What finally got me into hiking is my weight. I am epileptic and I was denied gastric bypass and the lap band due to this so if I wanted to lose the weight I had to do it the old fashioned way. I was in a massive car accident and they had to weigh me on a different scale to get a measurement. I was 412 lbs. and I just couldn't do it anymore. So I started exercising and eating right but after a time the treadmill got boring and my body was getting used to it. Once that happens you get less and less benefits from the workout which is disheartening. So it was summer and I said hey, I might as well see something if I am going to do all this walking. So I started hitting the trails on the weekends and soon I was on them any time I could get there. Due to my weight and size I burn a lot of calories hiking. It is great to see a calorie burn of 7,000 - 10,000 at the end of a hike. It has helped me get to where I am today, almost 100 lbs lost and a heart that is in perfect condition. I hope to start hitting the high peaks soon and continue the weight loss. I'm pretty easy to spot on the trails , see you out there!
      46er: 3/46
      Tupper Lake Triad: #23 WSD & #405 SSD
      Saranac 6er: 3/6

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uphillbothways/

Comment

• Another newbie...

Mid-fifties guy wanting to start exploring the ADK on water, boots, snowshoes and skis.

After traveling from place to place during 20 years in the USAF, exploring whenever and where ever I could, and 12 years living in Alaska beating up my body in various ways I'm back East now and finding I'm not out-and-about enough. My wife and I have been wandering around VT, NH and ME for the past several years but I've decided it's time to focus on this wonderful area.

I'm looking forward to enjoying what the four-seasons offer in the Dack's...

Comment

• Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
          Hello all, I'm Mike, aka stripperguy.
          I've enjoyed the last year or so on this site and I guess I should formally introduce myself.
          I build things.
          All kinds of things. Houses, cars, Jeeps, bicycles, boats, paddles, a marriage, a family, a career, a business, I just need to build.
          I served my apprenticeship, became a toolmaker, got some of my education, built a house, got married and then I turned 21. And I built my first stripper. OK, it wasn't my boat, but I built it with a buddy and then he helped me build mine the next year. And I just kept building. I have built and/or assisted on nearly 2 dozen so far, including a strip built 19 ft sailboat. I once built a stripper version of 16 ft Grant pattern guideboat with plans from the Adirondack Museum. I shouldn't say this out loud, but I hated it. I just don't like looking over my shoulder all the time, either on the water or in everyday life. Anyway, the dream was always to start a boatbuilding business and retire into it. That's not really an option for me now, but who knows! Maybe when the pressures of the high tech R & D world lessen a bit....
          As far as leisure activities, I ski, both alpine and nordic, snowshoe, bicycle about 2,000 miles a season, hike, paddle, sail, wilderness camp, and take photos, digital now, all transparencies till a few years ago. Lots of photos.

Let me mention, if I may, how much I enjoy this forum. There is a wealth of combined knowledge and wisdom here, clearly. And great first hand accounts of trips and current conditions. But that's not what makes this forum unique, IMHO.
          The difference here is the displays of respect and admiration, both for the Adirondacks and the other forum members. I don't want to get too touchy feely here, but, yeah, it's kind of nice.

And I do consider myself blessed, not just because of my fairy tale life, but beacause I live so near to The Park.
          When I read some of the other posts from folks that live a day or more away, and can only visit maybe once a year, I remember how fortunate I am to live an hour or two from such a treasure. I've traveled alot, through the US and the world, and I can say.....There is no better combination of mountains, water and history than right here in the Adirondacks.
          I just reread a bunch of these introductions, and maybe some newer members might want to chime in here.
          So here's an update on stripperguy since that introduction 10 years ago:

I'm still Mike, still married blissfully to MDB (My Darling Bride), still two kids.
          Daughter and SIL have three beautiful children now, son has a great GF. Both are happy and very gainfully employed.
          I have retired from the R & D company that I cofounded, now MDB and I tend to our 27 rental properties.
          I still hike, bike, sail, paddle, ski, wilderness camp, and take lots of photos...
          Skiing is mostly backcountry with AT gear now.
          Since my previous introduction, I've built another 5 boats, assisted on 6 others, and been a virtual mentor (courtesy of the internet) for another 6 or 8 builders.
          Also have been rebuilding insurance wrecked cars, motorcycles and trailers for a little extra pocket change lately, it's a fun outlet for my needs to build (and rebuild, I guess).
          At a current 61 years old, I'm getting antsy about some of my planned excursions, there's so much I enjoy and only so many years of future fitness available...I think!
          Anyway, I hope I've inspired some of you through my posts, and wish all of you will chase and attain your dreams as I have.

Mike T.

Comment

• Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
            I just reread a bunch of these introductions, and maybe some newer members might want to chime in here.
            So here's an update on stripperguy since that introduction 10 years ago:

I'm still Mike, still married blissfully to MDB (My Darling Bride), still two kids.
            Daughter and SIL have three beautiful children now, son has a great GF. Both are happy and very gainfully employed.
            I have retired from the R & D company that I cofounded, now MDB and I tend to our 27 rental properties.
            I still hike, bike, sail, paddle, ski, wilderness camp, and take lots of photos...
            Skiing is mostly backcountry with AT gear now.
            Since my previous introduction, I've built another 5 boats, assisted on 6 others, and been a virtual mentor (courtesy of the internet) for another 6 or 8 builders.
            Also have been rebuilding insurance wrecked cars, motorcycles and trailers for a little extra pocket change lately, it's a fun outlet for my needs to build (and rebuild, I guess).
            At a current 61 years old, I'm getting antsy about some of my planned excursions, there's so much I enjoy and only so many years of future fitness available...I think!
            Anyway, I hope I've inspired some of you through my posts, and wish all of you will chase and attain your dreams as I have.

Mike T.
            27?? How do you have time for anything at all? ha! Also, you look ten years younger than 61. And I still haven't forgotten about building that canoe...although I do have an existing canoe I'm tempted to slather up with release agent thanks to a certain post of yours...Thanks for the update!

Comment

• Since joining in '06 I've been fortunate enough to meet many fellow Adkforum members in person whom I now consider friends, many of which I occasionally hike, camp, paddle, and fish with...and even sometimes do a little work for. Several of them don't post here much anymore, but I'm greatly appreciative for the friendships that I've made through this community over the years.

-Justin

Comment

• Originally posted by Justin View Post
                Since joining in '06 I've been fortunate enough to meet many fellow Adkforum members in person whom I now consider friends, many of which I occasionally hike, camp, paddle, and fish with...and even sometimes do a little work for. Several of them don't post here much anymore, but I'm greatly appreciative for the friendships that I've made through this community over the years.

-Justin
                Ohhh quit it you softie
                mike

Comment

• Originally posted by mike View Post
                  Ohhh quit it you softie

Comment

• cut my teeth in the mountains of Wales, Scotland and the Lake District, been coming down to the Adk a couple of times a year for the last ten years or so from Canada. Arthritis is limiting my activities somewhat, which is typical timing as I am about to retire: talk about sods law. Looking forward to getting a fly rod back in my hand and getting my hammock strung up. Always liked very early May and mid October, the crowds do not seem to have woken up
                    Look up, and swear by the green of the spring that you’ll never forget.

Comment

• New Member of the site .

I'm a journeyman machinist / toolmaker living in Md . We've owned ADK Park ( 45 acres ) property up in Stratford / Salisbury for 14 years now . Spent a lot of nights at Arthors in Dolgeville and in the Little Falls hotel before purchasing our land . My family of 5 camp regularly on the property along with our 3 Shelties . We started out in tents and sleeping in the back of a Suburban , but have had a 32 ft TT on our lot for 7 or 8 years now . We love the area and will retire here soon . I love the outdoors , campfires and local beers . I HATE the blackflies . They must love Md. blood .

I see this is the first post in a year or so . But hey ……………...Hiya !

Comment

• Originally posted by mmcmdl View Post
                        I'm a journeyman machinist / toolmaker living in Md . We've owned ADK Park ( 45 acres ) property up in Stratford / Salisbury for 14 years now . Spent a lot of nights at Arthors in Dolgeville and in the Little Falls hotel before purchasing our land . My family of 5 camp regularly on the property along with our 3 Shelties . We started out in tents and sleeping in the back of a Suburban , but have had a 32 ft TT on our lot for 7 or 8 years now . We love the area and will retire here soon . I love the outdoors , campfires and local beers . I HATE the blackflies . They must love Md. blood .

I see this is the first post in a year or so . But hey ……………...Hiya !
                        It's not just Maryland blood, they love all blood!!

Nice to hear from you, I have a cousin who has been living in MD since college, and she and her husband bought a place on the Fulton Chain back before you had to win the lottery to do it!!

Comment

• Please... Allow Me to Introduce Myself;

My name is Princess-bubbling-Spring-that runs-in the-Meddle.

Sir Hillary Push'emoff.
                          At your Service.

Who are You...?
                          A collection of clips featuring the many disguises of Boris Badenov during the first season of "The Rocky Show."

Call me Bubbles.

Comment

• Reintroducing "me"

I would like to get back into hiking, again. I'd prefer finding a small group, more than zero, which would mean that I'd be hiking by myself.
                            Where would I like to hike? Of course, Adirondacks, but I would prefer trails less traveled. If anyone has a suggestion of other singles that may want to hike together, I'd certainly welcome your thoughts. Thank you! - Kim
                            Happiest in the woods

Comment

• Originally posted by wyldeflower View Post
                              I would like to get back into hiking, again. I'd prefer finding a small group, more than zero, which would mean that I'd be hiking by myself.
                              Where would I like to hike? Of course, Adirondacks, but I would prefer trails less traveled. If anyone has a suggestion of other singles that may want to hike together, I'd certainly welcome your thoughts. Thank you! - Kim
                              Welcome back Kim.
                              "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

• Thank you DuctTape
                                Happiest in the woods

Comment

Working...
                                X