No announcement yet.

What's your favorite fire tower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another vote for Goodnow... fantastic view of the peaks. Blue is a close second. Has anyone mentioned Owl's Head yet?
    Blue Mountain Lake, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive Moose View Post
      Another vote for Goodnow... fantastic view of the peaks. Blue is a close second. Has anyone mentioned Owl's Head yet?
      Also a beauty, with great views...notice my avatar!
      Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

I like Goodnow a lot, but I gotta go with Lyon just because it's my "home" mountain.
        Attached Files
        "Ahh! The old fishing hole... so peaceful and relaxing. Doesn't even matter if I catch a single fish -- ah! Come on you stupid fish, take the bait! Don't make me come down there!" -Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty and the Maniac View Post
          I like Goodnow a lot, but I gotta go with Lyon just because it's my "home" mountain.
          That's a sweet pic....
          “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

1. Adams - assuming you can get up to the cabin.
            2. Overlook - great view and interesting hotel ruins on the way up (and I completed the Firetower Challenge on it).
            3. Woodhull - cause no one else is there.

Least favorite - Gore. Felt like I was in an industrial park at the top.

Comment

My favorite firetower? Wakely because its so high. But I think they all look the same. You've seen one you've seen the all.

Favorite firetower mountains? Vanderwhacker and Adams.
              The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

My vote for Snowy mountain...

Comment

I vote for Mt. Arab as I have a camp on Eagle Crag Lake which lies in its shadow (hence my userid). I've been climbing it all (or most) of my 59 years and recall the ranger (Doc)that used to be up there when I was a child. The Friends of Mt Arab organization has done an iimpressive job of not only restoring the fire tower but also the ranger's cabin which sits at the foot of the tower. Its in better shape now that at any time in my memory. They also hire a couple of local college students in the summer to act as interpreters and they do a superb job. I have climbed a few of the others but know this mountain so well, that its really no contest!

Comment

Lyon because it is so close to me (few miles away) , and it was the first mountain I ever hiked!

Comment

- Overlook for the restored tower, hiking this with my oldest when he was 9 from Jimmy Dolans notch and spending 2 nights in the woods.
                      - Woodhull for the bike ride in for the first couple of miles with my 2 oldest

Guess it isn't the towers themselves, but the adventures doing the Tower challenge with the kids.

Comment

Wakely and Adams for views, can't decide between 'em. Here's A view from Wakely of Cedar River Flow.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ScAtTeRbOnE View Post
                          Wakely and Adams for views, can't decide between 'em. Here's A view from Wakely of Cedar River Flow.
                          That picture is assume. What kind of camera do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by mikesill View Post
                            I remember Noble Mtn tower...was the first one I ever hiked to when I was 7 or 8 years old. It the had the coolest suspension bridge across the West Canada Creek...someone must have some old pictures of that tower + bridge ?
                            There used to be a suspension bridge as well that spanned the S.Branch at the end of Mountain Home Road as well.Had alot of fun on that bridge as a kid.Back on topic,my favorite is St.Regis.

Comment

Goodnow. Nice, easy, pretty hike up. Love the horse barn enroute.

There are some stunning photos in this thread... props to Rusty and mink for the winter shots. Wow!
                              "The trouble with normal is it always get worse."
                              Bruce Cockburn

Comment

Originally posted by ScAtTeRbOnE View Post
                                I guess maybe I should climb Wakely again. When I went up it, the summit was socked in with clouds, and the wind was blowing so strong you could feel the top of the firetower swaying in the breeze.

Comment

Working...
                                X