Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Dick turns 90, we should start a spin off of this forum called "Adirondack Memories" and take turns telling (wildly exagerated) stories.
    What it is is in your head !

Comment

• I figure on being outdoors as long as I can walk, or until they lock all the doors to keep me from wandering off Absolutely the finest memories of my life are connected with outdoors stuff. On my deathbed, it won't matter much about money, property, etc. But I bet it'll matter a great deal about sunrises I've seen while fishing and twilight I've enjoyed walking in from a hunt. Don't you guys agree?

Comment

• Hey all, new to the board as of today.

A smallmouth fishermen at heart who has found paddling as a way to reach new waters to fish. As a result, I, and my girlfriend have several kayaks, a cataraft and a ww raft. I've paddled almost all rivers on the mid-atlantic in search of smallmouth and whitewater. Being fairly new to the big whitewater, this year will be my first trip through the New River Gorge as a leader, not just a paddler. My girlfriend is celebrating her 1-year anniversary as a kayak owner this summer. She has improved leaps and bounds and also enjoys chasing smallmouth via the yak.

Paddling has given my the ability to find places in Central PA I didn't know were here. Secluded backwater areas off some creeks, mountain streams during stormwater run-off events, hidden camp sites in the middle of our mile-wide, foot-deep river (susquehanna).

A friend of mine, and his wife both work the ANC and live up in that area. He's been telling me about the Adirondacks, I'm looking forward to learning more about the area during a 5-day "camp-n the back of the truck on the side of the road, paddle in and out of small lakes, up and down small creeks, fishing for smallies, and hopefully getting lost in the woods, without others around" vacation over the 4th of July trip.

Been lurking ove rthe site most of the day and it's refreshing to see the friendliness this site has shown to one another.
        So hey all, look forward to visiting this site and the adirondacks.

Comment

• Jeff023,
          I have to agree with you 100%. I've been sick this past year and spent a lot of time in hospital settings and recovering at home and the only thing that kept me going was to draw from past experiences hiking and kayaking. I even found a nurse that was working on her 46 so we could talk mountains. If I didn't have the goal of getting back to what I love I don't know what I would use for incentive. It's what I am not how much money or how much stuff I can accumulate in my life.

Comment

• Hi my name is Brian and I do not know what I am addicted to more, winter hiking in the Dacks or these forums. This however is my first double-post. I have never lurked here but I did join all 3 forums at the same time. Although it took Darren a long time to set up my account on VFTT. I find the sheer size of that forum intimidating. Now that I have been a member here for two months, I thought that I should introduce myself. By trade I am an Analytical Chemist. I live and work in NJ. The pharmaceutical industry is like a big ball and chain that keeps me here. My house is a big money pit that prevents me from spending money on hiking gear and going on exotic vacations. When I go up to the Adirondacks its like I am escaping from a concrete jungle.

I did the Boy Scout thing too, here in NJ but did not learn a thing about hiking or camping from it so I dropped out. When I was a youngster my parents used to like to go to Lake George for a vacation. My first hike ever was solo up Black Mountain from the lake side. I did not start seriously hiking until I was in my 20’s. I have lead hikes for several clubs. When I started downhill skiing, winter became my favorite season. I tried cross-country skiing and discovered that you can cover a lot more ground on skis than on foot. I did the Catskill winter peaks in my 30’s. Now that I am in my 40’s I am doing the Adirondack winter peaks. Up next are the New Hampshire winter peaks. Those are going to be expensive weekends.

In addition to the winter peaks list I am also working on completing the AT by backpack one state at a time. Another project is the state highpoints and I do not cheat by driving to the top. I have been hiking with the ADK club so I have not met too many people on the forums yet. My favorite season to hike is the winter when I do not have to deal with biting flies, mosquitoes, ticks, snakes or bears. During what I consider the off-season I like to hike at night, less bugs. I run, do stairs, bike and lift weights to stay in shape. The downhill skiing destroyed most of the cartilage in my right knee so I can not run on pavement but grass and the trails seem to provide enough cushioning to allow me to continue running. I used to mountain bike on single track until I went over the handlebars, broke my elbow and screwed up my wrist. I guess you could say that I am accident prone! I have done some paddling but have not plunked down the money for a kayak yet. I tried caving, it was like rock climbing in the rain at night, very intense. Prior to caving, I had only climbed at the Rock Gym. Two things that I don’t do are hunt or fish. I have been keeping a journal since I started hiking in the Dacks for the past two winters. I now have over 200 pages of my misadventures. I started the journal so that I could still have fond memories when I am old and feeble.

Comment

• I'm 61, retired from the NYS DOL and a passionate photographer. The Adirondacks are my favorite subject. I have a web site at www.jimbullard.org with a hiking sub-domain at hiking.jimbullard.org.

I'm a Fine Arts graduate of SUNY New Paltz. I'm married, have 2 grown children.

I live North of the Park near Potsdam but grew up on the Tug Hill Plateau near Barnes Corners where I learned to love the outdoors while exploring Inman Gulf which was 'in my backyard'. I finished the 46 thirteen years ago, have planned to thru-hike the NPT for the last 3 years but *things* kept disrupting my plans. Hopefully this will be the magic year and next year I want to start section hiking the AT.
              "After all, time is not money. It is an opportunity to live before you die" Donald Culross Peatty

Comment

• 46erJim,
                Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 46er status. Something I am still working on. Inman Gulf is my backyard. I live in Watertown but we spend much of our time at Inman Gulf. Many people who live here don't know it even exits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceman
                  When I go up to the Adirondacks its like I am escaping from a concrete jungle.
                  There's no doubt you're fleeing the conrete jungle when heading to the adirondacks. It's part of the charm of having such a wonderful wilderness a car ride away.

Although Albany is a smaller city than many in the metro area, I felt the same way for the 3 years I lived there and was actively hiking. Now I live in the suburbs east of Albany, rural enough that we have wild birds at the feeder and turkeys walking through the yard. Dog and cat run free without fear of being stolen, shot, or tortured. There's a fire pit in the back yard that makes for a brief escape to a fantasy lean-to/campout. If I build the flames high enough I forget there's even a house nearby .

I've been toying with the idea of moving north but have yet to find steady enough employment up there for computer technicians. It's a small dream, and for now I do the 2 hour escape northward each weekend.

Comment

• Introduction

Hi, newbie here. I found this forum through Adirondack Journey. Here's a little about myself - I'm 26 and was introduced to ADK through my father; became a yearly tradition. I've since Married and moved on.

I'm a Veterinary Assistant, am owned by 9 furry and feathered kids, and LOVE the outdoors! www.MarbleandNougat.com

I haven't seen or heard from my father in almost 8 years he had a midlife crisis (bought a juicer, became a vegetarian, bought a Harley, sold the house, found a girl friend and asked my mom for a divorce)... haven't heard from him since. However, I'll always have his love of hiking, kayaking, backpacking, and especially ADK.

So this year I'm starting my own family tradition....I planned a trip to Marcy dam (end of May - beginning of June) for hubby and me and our 'houla hounds. I can't wait to return to ADK and share this wonderful experience with my husband.

Look forward to meeting everyone!
                    ~Aubrey~

"In moments of joy, all of us wished we possessed, a tail we could wag."

Comment

• Welcome to the forum! That's quite a menagerie you've got there!

Comment

• Welcome to the forum! That's quite a menagerie you've got there!

Comment

• Dick loves to repeat himself. Drives his students bonkers.

Comment

• ~Aubrey~

"In moments of joy, all of us wished we possessed, a tail we could wag."

Comment

• Ruby is awesome . We saw the same bird at the rennselaer bird shop yesterday. We recently rescued a Quaker parrot...

Comment

• Hello Aubrey! You have a beautiful family!

After watching the movie of Ruby we just made a big step with or new Quaker parrot, Kiwi. After seeing Ruby nip your finger we realized that it doesn't mean"Get Away". We actually just had her out of the cage for the first time.(just adopted her Friday). Thank you!

Kiwi...
                                Attached Files
                                “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

Working...
                                X