This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by redhawk View Post
    Guess I'm the old fart here! 62 Years old on the 15th.
    No worries. 62 is the new 42. Or 32. Or something like that. Which makes my 49 the new 29. Wait - do I really want to be 29 again? I think not.

Comment

Welcome
      For that welcome (for which I thank you very much), a gift to you, the view from my living room window (a mile out, we are new to this place, and it's a priority for me to paddle out there):

Not the mountains, just a little mountain in the sea, our little Mt. Olympus. I hope you enjoy the view.

Comment

• Originally posted by reindeergirl View Post
        For that welcome (for which I thank you very much), a gift to you, the view from my living room window (a mile out, we are new to this place, and it's a priority for me to paddle out there):

Not the mountains, just a little mountain in the sea, our little Mt. Olympus. I hope you enjoy the view.
        Nice view. I lived for a while along the Eastern Shore. Always loved the views, but never cared to spend time on the beach.

There is a place in Connecticut where I could walk in through a sassafras forest into a meadow and sleep under the stars, looking up into the sky and seeing them clearly. Just over a little rise the waves would be breaking on a beach and I could smell the salt air. I would often wake up in the morning with a whitetail or two grazing nearby. It was the last bit of undeveloped oceanfront in New England, other then some places along the Maine coast.
        "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Nice view. I lived for a while along the Eastern Shore. Always loved the views, but never cared to spend time on the beach.

There is a place in Connecticut where I could walk in through a sassafras forest into a meadow and sleep under the stars, looking up into the sky and seeing them clearly. Just over a little rise the waves would be breaking on a beach and I could smell the salt air. I would often wake up in the morning with a whitetail or two grazing nearby. It was the last bit of undeveloped oceanfront in New England, other then some places along the Maine coast.
          Toward the NY end of Connecticut near, say, Greenwich? Babcock Preserve?
          Last edited by reindeergirl; 10-12-2007, 09:19 PM. Reason: Edited because I'm stooooooopid.

Comment

• Introduction New member

Hello All, I’m Jim from Northern CT. I’m married and have a son who just turned 13. I’ve been canoeing and backpacking since I was 18 (about 30years). Now adays more paddling / portaging than backpacking.
            I bought my first canoe in 1982 an Old town Tripper and I am still using it for tripping hunting, whitewater up to class 3, fishing and just hanging out. I also owned a Mad River Explorer which I sold to a friend who is still using it.
            My friends and I have canoed the Allagash 4 time, one 10 day Boundary water trip and somewhere around 13 or 14 trips to the Adirondacks. We’ve done the 9 carry, the 7 carry, Lake Lili, Indian Lake, Little Tupper, and the Bog River to Lows lake. Some of these more than others. The St Regis and Floodwood area is my farorite. Yes ever portage is with my 80 + lbs. Tripper on my head (I added skid plates years ago which pushed the wieght up) Maybe someday I will buy a lightweight Kevlar boat but I like the fact that rocks pose no problem when landing or banging down some skinny rivers. We take a trip every September and sometimes October too. I don’t think we’ve missed a year in the last 10. I plan on continuing this strek for as long as I can and my wife lets me. I trip with a core group of 3 guys and myself but have gone with up to 9.
            I have enjoyed reading from this forum for a while and you all sound like the kind of people that I like meeting on the water or trail. That is saying a lot since we tend to keep to ourselves. Thanks for letting me share.
            It only hurts for the first 100 paddle strokes.

Comment

• Welcome CT Tripper !
              You sound like a pretty serious canoeist....that's good stuff.
              I used to be, then came kids, then I switched to hiking but will get the canoe tripping going again someday. For now, I'm after the 46.
              What it is is in your head !

Comment

Actually the only things I'm serious about is canoeing and vacations and I'm not that serious about them. I only get so much time, but thankfully my wife enjoys camping (the car type). So I am at least out.

Comment

• Originally posted by CT Tripper View Post
                  Hello All, I’m Jim from Northern CT.
                  Where???
                  "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Hawk doesn't have a passport.

Comment

Nope, in Groton, a place called Bluff Point, bounded by the Poquonnock River and Long Island Sound.

Comment

Nope, in Groton, a place called Bluff Point, bounded by the Poquonnock River and Long Island Sound.

Oh - beautiful!

Comment

Where???
                          Northern Maine, Vermont State Parks, White mountain National forest in New Hampshire, and New York DEC campgrounds, (Rollins Pond, Lake Durant). We tend to stay away from Privite campgrounds with all the bull____ that go with them. My son and I have always managed to entertain ourself with fishing, hiking, canoeing, and kayaking, and just being out in the woods.

Comment

Northern Maine, Vermont State Parks, White mountain National forest in New Hampshire, and New York DEC campgrounds, (Rollins Pond, Lake Durant). We tend to stay away from Privite campgrounds with all the bull____ that go with them. My son and I have always managed to entertain ourself with fishing, hiking, canoeing, and kayaking, and just being out in the woods.
                            No, I meant where in Northern CT.

Comment

• Enfield, top dead center.

Comment

Enfield, top dead center.
                                I used to live in Ellington

Comment

Working...
                                X