X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CT Tripper View Post
    Enfield, top dead center.
    I'm from Old Greenwich, but in my former career I've had reason to visit Enfield many times.

Comment

• Originally posted by redhawk View Post
      I used to live in Ellington
      Ellington is right down the road. Spent some time at the Old Country Squire (Good Bands). Somehow you lookfamiliar.
      It only hurts for the first 100 paddle strokes.

Comment

• Originally posted by CT Tripper View Post
        Somehow you lookfamiliar.
        Did you get to any Powwows down there?

I also gave some seminars at Uconn.

Hawk
        "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

• my neice was born at UCONN. My brother lived in Torrington for several years. We did some great hiking up that way. You ever been to the devil's kitchen? Some beautiful land up there.
          sigpicSee you on the Summit! XX
          Coddingtoncreek.etsy.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Hitched Hiker View Post
            my neice was born at UCONN. My brother lived in Torrington for several years. We did some great hiking up that way. You ever been to the devil's kitchen? Some beautiful land up there.
            Didn't do much hiking in CT. To flat and to populated. Been to Devils hopyard.

Hawk
            "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

• The Appalachian Trail in Litchfield County and Sleeping Giant Park in Hamden are the most challenging Connecticut has to offer if you're in a mood to stretch the legs.

Otherwise, there's a legitimate reason why we're called "flatlanders".

Comment

• I am a firefighter for 28 years. Have always liked to be outside, live in central N.Y. I am 54 and have just got back to backpacking this year. I climbed Marcy in 1978 and 1981 and have camped at eighth lake in 2001, sorry to say I have not been back since but hope to, when?Right now my dog and I dayhike and backpack in my area. The Fingerlakes National Forest has been my "home" turf for wandering as of late. Stumbled upon this forum just a couple of days ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by fingerlakeshiker View Post
                  I am a firefighter for 28 years. Have always liked to be outside, live in central N.Y. I am 54 and have just got back to backpacking this year. I climbed Marcy in 1978 and 1981 and have camped at eighth lake in 2001, sorry to say I have not been back since but hope to, when?Right now my dog and I dayhike and backpack in my area. The Fingerlakes National Forest has been my "home" turf for wandering as of late. Stumbled upon this forum just a couple of days ago.
                  Great to see one in our age category still in public service! Now it's time to start climbing the remaining 45.

Welcome aboard.

Comment

I am a firefighter for 28 years. Have always liked to be outside, live in central N.Y. I am 54 and have just got back to backpacking this year. I climbed Marcy in 1978 and 1981 and have camped at eighth lake in 2001, sorry to say I have not been back since but hope to, when?Right now my dog and I dayhike and backpack in my area. The Fingerlakes National Forest has been my "home" turf for wandering as of late. Stumbled upon this forum just a couple of days ago.

Welcome to the forum.

I stumbled upon the FLNF a few years back. I often wander around there myself.
                    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

• 53 & 54 ! Welcome to the neighborhood.
                      Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

• I plan on retiring in two years,undoubtably this will lead to more outdoor time

Comment

• Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
                          Welcome to the forum.

I stumbled upon the FLNF a few years back. I often wander around there myself.
                          I have seen your name in the book at the trail shelter.

Comment

I have seen your name in the book at the trail shelter.
                            Trail shelter journals are a fun read.

I haven't been the FLNF in winter, do you recommend it? I was worried most about road access.
                            "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
                              Trail shelter journals are a fun read.

I haven't been the FLNF in winter, do you recommend it? I was worried most about road access.
                              I hike in the FLNF throughout the winter. Burnthill road and mathews road are not plowed and become impassible when the snow is deep, but Potomac road and Pic Nic Area road which runs past Blueberry Patch Campground ( co. rt.2-I believe) are plowed. County rt. 1Searsburg road is also a good access point you can go south onto Potomac road from there.Winter is in fact one of my favorite times to go to FLNF.The gates to the camp are closed to cars in the winter, but the parking area is plowed. I winter camped last winter for the first time and stayed in the campground. I used a sled to haul in firewood and had the whole place to my self.

Comment

• I am planning two trips to FLNF this week, wed. and fri..Gun season begins sat. so reluctantly me and my dog(with white fur) are staying away until Dec.10- after that I will be going all winter. I am hoping to do my first Dec. camping around 15-17, thinking about staying at the shelter, some trees were cut down there and a nice supply of firewood is available.

Comment

Working...
                                X