Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Super Secret Campsite visit, SLWA, 31 Jan, 2018

A couple weeks ago, Justin posted an awesome video of a backpacking trip to his Super Secret Campsite, deep in the Silver Lake Wilderness.

He mentioned that no one has yet to find it. Of course a Tick Magnet never backs down from a challenge, especially one in the SLWA. Today was my attempt to find this so called, Super Secret Campsite.

Arriving at the trailhead early, I suited up for a long walk in sunny, 6° weather.

I signed in at the register and noticed Justin's name a couple rows above mine. I did a good deed and put a new pencil in the box as the old one was pretty beat up. I hope everyone likes Minions On went the snowshoes to begin the gradual ascent up the trail.

Yellow disks marked this route along an old road.

The trail eventually left the old road and paralleled a nicely frozen creek.

The post holes on this section of trail were horrible. They must have sunk down at least a foot. It will take a lot of snow to fix this problem.

After walking along the creekside trail for about ten minutes, I came to the large bridge.

I crossed over to the other side (so to speak) and walked for another ten minutes until it was time to turn off into the woods and search for the old industrial site where Justin got his repurposed wood rack. I found the site with no problems.

Despite the snow, quite a bit of the ruins were visible including a pile of bricks and some old iron dating from the 1880s.

When I was finished exploring the site, I set a compass heading for where I thought the Super Secret Campsite might be. The route took me up and over the shoulder of a hill and through some spectacular open hardwoods.

After reading the terrain and adjusting my bearing a little, I came to a nice flat spot alongside a small headwater. Sure enough, there was the Super Secret Campsite.

I quickly took advantage of the "furniture", sat down and poured a cup of hot tomato soup to celebrate my find. I thought about leaving a calling card, but my little LNT voice said "no". All that was left to do was play a little air guitar, pack up and head out back down the hill to the trail. Even though it was pretty cold and windy out this morning, I had a great time exploring a really neat area. It was an added bonus to find Justin's Super Secret Campsite. Your secret is safe with me, buddy.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 02-02-2018 at 08:06 AM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Cool report Tick, congrats on finding my hideout!
I actually found that firewood rack about .5 mile south of the “industrial site”.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I actually found that firewood rack about .5 mile south of the “industrial site”.
Duh-Oh!

There was an olde tyme folding chair there that I thought about bringing to your site. Unfortunately, there was a tree growing through it. I also didn't feel like carrying it all that way.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
dpc34

got to be tough following tracks in the snow......looking good
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
There was an olde tyme folding chair there that I thought about bringing to your site. Unfortunately, there was a tree growing through it. I also didn't feel like carrying it all that way.
Thank you for not doing that. I’ve been to that spot many times & I know the chair you speak of, and I would never dream of taking anything from that historic spot. The only reason I took that stand/rack, was because I was planning on a better system for keeping my firewood stash off the ground, and found that stand half buried in the leaves & dirt along with some other junk well south of that meadow, and moved it less than a mile to my campsite to be repurposed as my new firewood rack. It was like fate. Crossing the line a bit on a few regs here I realize that, and I know some folks can be a little sensitive about things like this here so I’m hoping no one will be too upset.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
got to be tough following tracks in the snow...
If he followed my tracks he must have walked in a lot of circles & in several different directions...kudos!
Old 01-31-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
Tick Magnet

Actually, I had a tough time finding Justin's tracks back to the trail. They were washed out and snowed over in most spots. Sadly, the post holes on the trail were deep and numerous.

However, the 1/2" of fresh snow made the animals tracks stand out. Plenty of coyotes in that neck of the woods.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Crossing the line a bit on a few regs here I realize that, and I know some folks can be a little sensitive about things like this here so I’m hoping no one will be too upset.
Off with this head!
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Off with this head!
Ha...Hopefully the amount of trash that I’ve carried out from the campsites down by the river over the years will spare me from that sentence.